Fat doesn't make you fat?

Options
Hi guys,

I heard that fat doesn't make you fat, but calorie surplus is. So how does this fat processed by the body? I tought that fat goes directly to your skin as a reserve energy. Because i just realised that tempeh have pretty high fat content, andi just ate a lot of it and go beyond my fat allowance. Should i worry about this? Thanks !

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Short answer is no, don't worry. Excess calories is the reason we store any of the nutrients from any source as body fat and not individual food sources.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit—that means burning more calories than you eat.

Eating a whole lot of fat can mean you're not getting enough protein & other nutrients to keep you healthy. And if you go over your calorie goal from eating too much fat then you won't lose weight.. But if you eat fat & eat at a deficit, you will lose weight.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • BBeanland
    BBeanland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fat can be used by the body as energy, so as long as you are active then you should be burning the calories that the fat gives you. As far as the nutritional properties of fat, it isn't that great for you, beware thought because unsaturated fats are less of a concern than saturated fats.

Fats will be stored by the body as energy reserves when you over do your calorie intake, so just watch how much you eat. If your goal is to cut fat, then cut down on fat intake. If you want to build muscle, then fats actually help break down proteins to build muscle. I'm not saying eat as much as you like though. ;-)

I'm no expert but this is what i gather from journals I've read.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Fats help your body absorb nutrients, help with digestive function, and provide energy. The internet is so full of misinformation. Fat doesn't go directly to fat cells, and it doesn't go directly to skin (not even sure how that would work, maybe people confuse sebum with dietary fat?)
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The reason people are often advised to avoid fat is not because it is directly stored as fat (it is typically used as fuel instead when in a caloric deficit) but because it is more calorie-dense than carbs or protein, with 9kcals per gram vs 4kcals per gram for the other 2 macros. However, if you're tracking your calories this effectively doesn't matter - telling people to cut down fat is just another way of creating a quick caloric deficit.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Short answer is no, don't worry. Excess calories is the reason we store any of the nutrients from any source as body fat and not individual food sources.
    This ^^

Have a look at this link:
    http://evidencemag.com/fat-gain-process/

Basically although your body does process fats, carbs and proteins in different ways, overall it's the calories that count. Providing you are limiting your overall calorie intake you shouldn't put on weight, although it is still sensible to make sure you get a reasonable balance between fats, proteins and carbs.

Also this:
    The reason people are often advised to avoid fat is not because it is directly stored as fat (it is typically used as fuel instead when in a caloric deficit) but because it is more calorie-dense than carbs or protein, with 9kcals per gram vs 4kcals per gram for the other 2 macros. However, if you're tracking your calories this effectively doesn't matter - telling people to cut down fat is just another way of creating a quick caloric deficit.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat excess calories your body stores the fat you ate as fat, but it doesn't matter if the excess calories came from carbs or fat.

There are extreme cases where if you ate a huge amount of carbs and almost no fat your body would convert the carbs into fat.

But usually what happens is your body burns up the carbs first, then the fat and then stores any excess fat as fat.

Well, that is my understanding from the research I have done, I am not a biochemist.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    This ^^

Have a look at this link:
    http://evidencemag.com/fat-gain-process/

Basically although your body does process fats, carbs and proteins in different ways, overall it's the calories that count. Providing you are limiting your overall calorie intake you shouldn't put on weight, although it is still sensible to make sure you get a reasonable balance between fats, proteins and carbs.

Also this:
    Yes, that is appropriate. :smile:
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but if fat made you fat, then high fat/low carb diets wouldn't work...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but if fat made you fat, then high fat/low carb diets wouldn't work...

Eat fat to loss fat.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty high fat diet and have been losing. It isn't intentional and maybe something I should try to fix but one thing at a time for me. Plus I give my self some allowance since most of the fat in my diet comes from regular consumption of nuts and not deep fried foods.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Excess carbs turn to sugar and if not burned off are stored as fat, or so I have read. Fat is used for energy but not stored. I think this is the theory the low carbers work on. But you still have to count calories, and eat good fats and as Fats are calorie dense if you eat to much you miss out on other food that is better for you. Although I do believe a little good fat (like the oil in my tuna) keeps you feeling fuller for longer than carbs.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Eat fat to loss fat.
    And kool aid, don't forget that.:bigsmile:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Eat fat to loss fat.

It's your study that proves the case - we shall drink the kool aid together (I take it that was your reference?).:laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Excess carbs turn to sugar and if not burned off are stored as fat, or so I have read. Fat is used for energy but not stored. I think this is the theory the low carbers work on. But you still have to count calories, and eat good fats and as Fats are calorie dense if you eat to much you miss out on other food that is better for you. Although I do believe a little good fat (like the oil in my tuna) keeps you feeling fuller for longer than carbs.

I would suggest doing some more reading on the subject
  • neanderthin
    Options

Eat fat to loss fat.

It's your study that proves the case - we shall drink the kool aid together (I take it that was your reference?).:laugh:
    What study, what case?
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You need some dietary fat to make hormones, absorb nutrients and loads of other stuff. It also plays a role in regulating mood and stress etc. I think the recommended amount is 30% of calories.
    Excess calories make you fat, doesn't matter where they come from.
    But like many types of food, some types of fats are more helpful to your body than others. And some types are not great to have in large quantities. It's all about balance.
    P.s. Your brain is largely made of fat so it can't be all bad!
  • fightdem
    fightdem Posts: 38
    Options
    Sorry i forgot to input that tempeh is a good protein source food, the fat is mostly good fat. I just ate 500 gram of tempeh, and that gives me 95 g of protein and 55 of fat (mostly polyunsaturated and monosaturated). Okay, so bottomline any ammount of fat is okay if we stay at calorie deficit, right? Thanks everyone
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I would suggest doing some more reading on the subject

Yes, please do some research on the subject.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options

Eat fat to loss fat.

This. Lost almost 20 pounds since January eating a diet composed of 65-75% fat every day.