Clean Eating and Counting Calories?

Options

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You have to have a calorie deficit no matter what you eat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of "clean".
    I define clean as proteins, fruits, veg, nuts, legumes, low-fat dairy and whole grains.

so steak, chicken, pork, and everything else not listed is "dirty"..???

that would make me filthy ...
    Wouldn't those things be "proteins"?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have been reading more about the benefits of clean eating and gathering recipes. One thing I have read though is that when clean eating you don't really have to keep track of calories? I know I will still keep track of my calorie intake so I know what I am consuming, but I want to know what others do or have done that eat clean?

Also, if you have any suggestions on recipes, websites, or books that would be great!

If you are going to eat clean, to start with maybe you should cover your bases and log the food for a while until you get a feel for what the approx. calorie cost is for the food you're eating.
    That's a great idea.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight or fat no matter what you eat. Grant it, it is a little more hard to overeat when you are eating more nutrient dense food. But, it can be done. Besides you don't have to eat 100% nutrient dense food to reach your goals. It really is hard to cut out all the things you enjoy forever. Why put yourself through that. Eat nutrient dense food 85-90% of the day or week. Fill the rest with things you enjoy. Don't over do those things. You will see amazing results. If you haven't developed the will power to be able to enjoy some treats then stick to 100% nutrient dense food till you create that life change that we should be going for. Good luck.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Back a few months ago, I was reading up on "clean eating" just to figure out what it was. I still don't get how it's any different from eating healthy. On the site I was reading, they said they didn't eat anything that had more then 5 ingredients in it. Just for fun, once day when I was at the grocery store I looked at foods that are good for you that have ingredients listed to find some that are 5 ingredients are less.....I'm still looking.

That's because clean eaters generally do not eat anything in a box where ingredients are listed. Usually they try to stick to the produce and meat sections.

I was looking at a bakery made loaf of bread and even that had more then 5 ingredients.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Not necessarily, technically you can eat more calories than you burn in energy and still loose weight.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Back a few months ago, I was reading up on "clean eating" just to figure out what it was. I still don't get how it's any different from eating healthy. On the site I was reading, they said they didn't eat anything that had more then 5 ingredients in it. Just for fun, once day when I was at the grocery store I looked at foods that are good for you that have ingredients listed to find some that are 5 ingredients are less.....I'm still looking.

That's because clean eaters generally do not eat anything in a box where ingredients are listed. Usually they try to stick to the produce and meat sections.

I was looking at a bakery made loaf of bread and even that had more then 5 ingredients.

I think the 5 ingredient thing is just a base guideline for people to use. I don't care how many ingredients there are. I care what those ingredients are and if they fit with that I am trying to do.

What was said is correct. Generally nothing from a box. Although there are somethings that fit that are boxed.

Plus you're just looking in to wrong aisle.. although these are bagged, so maybe that's the difference???
    Frito's are clean .If you eat corn oil and fried foods at least. :) Made of whole corn, corn oil and salt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I am doing it to help replace processed foods more than anything. But I understand what you are saying too. I know that even eating clean you still have to watch calories, that's why I was wondering if anyone else had heard the no calorie counting thing. I am still keeping track no matter what I am consuming.

When people "clean" up their diets, they tend to eat a lot more vegetables and fruits and whole foods in general. It is more difficult to overeat whole foods and much easier to overeat processed foods that tend to be calorie laden. Most people will naturally create a calorie deficit when they "clean" up their diets. Really, that's how I lost my first 20 Lbs or so...then I stalled out which is when I started counting calories as well.

Keep in mind that any number of "clean" whole foods are also calorie dense...I love almonds for example...which provide a wallop of around 160 calories for a mere ounce...I can eat these things by the handful. I also eat a lot of avocado and cook with olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil. I eat a relatively "clean" diet and still put away around 2800 calories per day pretty easily which at my activity level allows me to maintain...but if I was less active I would gain weight, even though my diet rocks from a nutritional standpoint and is relatively "clean"
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends how you are defining "clean eating" but there are high calorie unprocessed foods (nuts, avocado, fatty meats).

You don't ever have to count calories to lose weight. But you do need to keep a calorie deficit.

If eating by whatever definition you have for "clean" helps you keep a deficit, and you feel that it's sustainable for you, then I say go for it. Do what works for you.
  • dragonfliamany
    dragonfliamany Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I still count calories, but most of my food doesn't come out of a package. As soon as I completely changed my diet to greens, I started seeing results. Still looking for more friends for support and encouragement.. Add me :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

Not necessarily, technically you can eat more calories than you burn in energy and still loose weight.

What do you mean by "burn in energy"?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Most people will naturally create a calorie deficit when they "clean" up their diets.
    Do you have any actual evidence for this? or is this just an opinion? Also saying that clean foods are naturally lower in calories is a bit too much of a blanket statement. There are many so called' clean foods' whose calories are well very high and higher than a lot of processed foods. The advocado comes to mind off the top of my head.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

The term you've got to eat less calories than you burn is technically not true for weight loss!
  • bcattoes
    Options

The term you've got to eat less calories than you burn is technically not true for weight loss!

That's true, nor is a calorie surplus needed for weight gain.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

and you complain that other people do not make sense....
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Okay - hypothetically if I consumes 10% fat 30% protein and 60% carbs (mainly from resistant starches) and I did resistance training every other day and cardio on the days in between and I consistently ate 300 calories more each day than I burned would I lose weight?

I would be interested in a scientific response - I have no shame if I am wrong or not.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Okay - hypothetically if I consumes 10% fat 30% protein and 60% carbs (mainly from resistant starches) and I did resistance training every other day and cardio on the days in between and I consistently ate 300 calories more each day than I burned would I lose weight?

I would be interested in a scientific response - I have no shame if I am wrong or not.

So you're saying the statement should be eat less than you burn for fat loss because water retention plays a factor?

Genuinely lost at the point you're trying to make here...
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you at all veg and fruit and organic and whatever else is considered "clean" and the calories are over your maintenance, YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT. Not debatable. Its SCIENCE.

At the same time, if your maintenance is 2500 calories and you eat 2000 calories of twinkies, you will lose weight. Guaranteed. You'd feel like hell but you would lose weight. Eating clean (whatever that is) is mostly pointless IMO and most people who brag about it don't eat as "clean" as they think
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

So you're saying the statement should be eat less than you burn for fat loss because water retention plays a factor?

Genuinely lost at the point you're trying to make here...

He's looking for a long debate about TEF, and capabilities of one's body to make use of (rather than pass) some of the energy consumed, particularly involving resistant starches. I for one, will prepare the gifs in eager anticipation.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have been reading more about the benefits of clean eating and gathering recipes. One thing I have read though is that when clean eating you don't really have to keep track of calories? I know I will still keep track of my calorie intake so I know what I am consuming, but I want to know what others do or have done that eat clean?

Also, if you have any suggestions on recipes, websites, or books that would be great!

If you are going to eat clean, to start with maybe you should cover your bases and log the food for a while until you get a feel for what the approx. calorie cost is for the food you're eating.

^^ This is good advice.