can't ignore comments from friends and family. (rant?)

Options
2»

Replies

• 2befitlife
    2befitlife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, 5lb lost is fantasic. Don't allow anyone's negative comments stop you from being healthier you. You are doing it at a great pace which will stay off longer in the end. I have tried every diet there is and the only way to get effective and long term results is watch portion size, eliminate sugar, select healthier foods, exercise, and drink plenty of water and you can't go wrong. The weight may not fall off as quick but believe me you will sleep better, feel better, and continue to do better because you are making a lifestyle change and not a temporary fix. I hope your boyfriend respects your wishes and continue to encourage you along the way. I don't think he means any harm he is just excited like you and wants others to be excited for you. But when others don't have the discipline to make lifestyle changes they try to make what you are doing look small to make themselves look bigger. Keep on keeping on and before you know it 5 will turn in 10, 20, 30 and so on pounds lost until you reach your goal. Once you reach your goal you will be disciplined on your choices and keep the weight off. You are a winner!!!!:smile::smile:
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't dream of telling anyone their accomplishments are nothing. 5 pounds in a month is great. That's a pound or more a week. Isn't that the recommended amount for healthy weight loss? Real weight loss takes time. By real I mean actual fat loss, not just water weight that can comes and goes in a days time.
  • LSeales
    LSeales Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was always excited for any amount of weight that I lost, but I didn't go announcing it to everyone. I will tell you if you ask me. I have a family member that keeps up with it and casually brings it up in conversation with other people (in front of me). One reason I didn't want to tell them is because I wanted them to notice my progress through my appearance and not have someone announcing it for me. It's like the value of it had been stripped away from me. I won't lie and tell you that I wasn't embarrassed at first, because I was. Back then, I never thought I would be where I am today. Just keep going and don't look back!!!!
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP almost month ago and have lost five pounds. I feel proud of myself, but the only one who knows about my dieting is my boyfriend. He keeps telling everyone in his family about how I'm trying to lose weight and it's embarrassing. I told him to stop telling people, I just hope he remembers. Plus his sister made this nasty comment that losing five pounds in a month is nothing. That comment really bruised my confidence. Is she right? Even if she is, I'm proud that I've started to take care of my body, but it still is a nagging comment in the back of my mind.

First of all, I typically lose six pounds in a month when I'm on the ball. So, five is a fantastic amount. She sounds like someone that thinks more is better- so more cardio, more restricting, MOAR WEIGHT LOSS. Or like a crash dieter- in either case, with no regards to how you take it off is how you will out it back on.
    Ignore her. You're doing phenomenal. :D
  • as124
    as124 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! He definitely is proud of me, so I should be thankful that he is. I'll try my hardest to let the rude comments only inspire me to push harder and keep going. No one is going to hold me back!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I hope you are feeling much better about the 5 lb loss having read what everyone else has said. I looked at your information page and I think you say you would like to loose 16 lb, was it more or as well. Neither matters. Wanting to loose such an amount so near, relatively that is, to your goal it becomes more difficult. Many of us who have gone on to let things get more out of hand wish we had given ourselves the time and space to put our lives in order many years ago.

Keep on taking care of yourself. Doing it now, doing it right the first time means you will not have to do it over and over. You may well be watching what you are eating and also taking more exercise, the extra walks or taking the stairs instead of the lift or escalator, it does not have to be going to a gym or doing exercise tapes. Be brave, be proud, be self aware. Do what is right for you, which may be all the above, It is easy for someone who is ill informed to make snide remarks this girl has not interest in her life, or lifestyle. I doubt very much if she could take control of herself were she challenged to do so.

To borrow a quote. "One life live it well"