What are your best HABITS for losing weight?

Options

Replies

• missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Exercising - it helps me focus on my calorie intake and puts me in a good mood
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Logging everything
    Food Scale & Measuring cups/spoons
    Some kind of activity, every single day, even if just a short walk. Keeps me focused on my goals.
    This.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8VhdQQqVvc2w4gC-bYMWr0-6gKpQjgNqdo_0k97xe3LoVyaWFgA

+1
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Planning a menu for the week and rarely buying the foods I know I'll have major trouble going overboard with(mainly ice cream).
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Once I was into the routine for a little bit I started noticing my routine that I would end up going over my calorie goal Fridays and Saturdays. So I adjusted. I lowered my Sun-Mon-Tue-Wed-Thur calories down to 1200 so that I can have 2000 on Fridays and Saturdays. It helps me to stay on track and not have to worry so much about blowing my deficit that I was building all week. So I now look at my weekly totals more than my daily goals. It gives me more flexability and takes some of the stress off.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    • Keep within +/- 200 calories of my daily goal every day, seven days a week, each month, for the year...every year from now on.
    • Minimize off track days but enjoy them.
    • Exercise at least 5 days per week.

For me, a key is to over-estimate food and under-estimate calories burned for exercise. I see waaaay too many people do the opposite.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing..which I put on my copious amounts of veggies.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Zumba Gold!......
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Being consistent and disciplined over the long haul.

One of the most eye opening things for me is how I had to have been really eating to have got to my high weight. I thought my portion sizes were 'normal'. They definitely were not. Portion control is a huge deal. That and educating myself on how many calories were in all the foods I was eating and how to reduce that number significantly in my cooking and baking. I've become maybe too efficient at that part...
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    smaller portions
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    eating more veggies and drinking lots of water, tea
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Logging has been lifechanging...so I'd say 1st and foremost, using a food scale and logging are great habits if you aren't already doing it...I've always logged my workouts, but never the food side of things...the moment I did, the whole game changed....lbs just started melting off, easily.. for the first time in years :)
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    thanks! Any more? Keep them flowing...I really appreciate hearing everyone's habits...
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Food prep is ESSENTIAL. If you have good food ready at all times, you will EAT IT. I had to learn that the hard way but it absolutely works. Log everything that you eat and I mean everything! Log all of your exercises too! I even log when I clean my house. It all adds up!! When you can see your numbers it increases your likeliness of making smarter choices. I prep my meals for the week--not each day.

Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!

I'm not a health nut or anything--I do have wonderful cheat days!! But I make sure that I don't go crazy with it. I have to have a special treat here and there to keep me normal.

^^^^YEP to the food prep.
  • levett09
    levett09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good topic!

Planning is key for me. I have to know ahead of time what my meals are going to look like and where I have wiggle room. This helps not only with resisting temptation during the week but also on the weekends when I go to the grocery store. It's cheaper and healthier not to pick up unexpected items just because you see them on the shelf. (And never go grocery shopping while hungry!)

With exercise, I think you have to not force it -- find something you enjoy and use that to burn calories. For me, it's circuit training, kickboxing, walking wherever I can around town, and hanging out with my husband (playing soccer, hiking, etc.). I tried to get into running and really never fell in love with it, so I don't force myself to do that. Just keep trying new things until you find something you like.

I also struggle a little bit with getting enough water. I'll let myself have a different beverage with dinner (usually a diet soda), but I make an effort to drink only water during the workday. I also recently started letting myself only have water after dinner in order to resist the urge to have a bedtime snack. I've been slacking on it a little lately, but it's helped me get a couple more glasses in.

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF! :smile:

People think running is the answer but I hate it. Love playing football and that's what keeps me fit.

I've been slacking on water too, I feel so much better for it but it's so boring :neutral: getting back on track today!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Pretty much adding to the chorus:
    1) weighing all foods as accurately as possible & verifying nutrition info outside MFP
    2) logging it all - the good, the bad, the ugly!
    3) planning simple meals, pre logging whenever possible
    4) stocking up on my go-to proteins so they are readily available
    5) going for modest deficits & slower weight loss... on good days I can speed things up if I'm able but on hard days I don't feel like a failure.
    6) lots of water
    7) lots of walking
    8) laughing with myself when intentions go awry & ALWAYS starting fresh the next day!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Planning meals, making sure I get 8 hours of sleep, making the gym a priority.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Weighing myself daily and walking places whenever possible.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance, but the same applies:

Weigh myself daily, look at the trend, adjust behavior slightly if trend points the wrong way.
    Plan meals, keep running inventory, make shopping list, never shop hungry, bring and follow shopping list.
    Cook and eat delicious food, enough fat and protein, aim for variety, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, portion control.
    No eating between meals, only drink water, coffee and tea between meals.
    Get some excercise every day, even if it's just a short walk to the store.
    Get enough sleep and rest.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Planning and food prep!