opinions are needed please :)

Ok so this makes week four I've been going strong and haven't lost anything :( but i have read that it take about four weeks for your body to start showing any changes but when im at the gym the cardio that ive been doing seems to be getting easier. so now im at the higest incline and at speed 3.0 im afraid to go any higher in speed yet because i dont think that could keep up and im doing some lifting with the weight machines i feel i could do more though

i wanted to know if i should up my cardio to 90 mins instaed of the 70-77 that i do already and then add 30 mins of lifting every other day or every day switching different muscle groups??

Replies

• verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    It sounds like you're working out a lot - so that shouldn't be the problem. I took a look at your diary and it seems fine as well - are you sure you're logging everything right, and that you aren't maybe underestimating the amount you're taking in?
    It might just be water retention because of your heavy workouts. 4 weeks isn't that long, but you should have lost at least something during that period. /:
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Since you asked for opinions. I think it is time you upped your speed, to at least 3.1. If you cannot keep up, then do it for a few minutes, then go back to your normal.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Did you measure at the beginning? - are your clothes feeling looser? My first few weeks my measurements changed even though the scales refused to budge.
  • JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    im pretty sure that im logging right but i think that my mistake is that i stopped mesuring my food i was doing then just went off of what it looked off the plate but im reading and i could be actually eating more then i think im going to resume measuring tonight because at first i went up a pound then went from 303 to 309 now im back to 304 so im not sure if its water retention or esting more then i think
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Don't know how you're eating so I can't say.
  • JennyJ2015
    ok im going to try to up my speed tonight and give that a try to see if something changes next week :)
  • JennyJ2015
    Don't know how you're eating so I can't say.

your welcome to take a look at my diary :)
  • JennyJ2015
    Did you measure at the beginning? - are your clothes feeling looser? My first few weeks my measurements changed even though the scales refused to budge.

a couple of my shirts and a pair of my pats fee l a little loser but i have measure and havnt lost anything
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    I don't believe that it takes 4 weeks for your body to adjust to things and show results. That number is just there to try to not let people feel disheartened that they don't see results instantly. Some people see almost instant scale results, some not for month or more. Just keep doing what you are doing and have patience. If you see no results after 8 weeks I think you are doing something wrong and reduce your calories. Perhaps possibly start doing that now, 4 weeks should start to see some movement. Especially if overweight to start with.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Yeah, I'd say bump your speed up to 3.5. It may help to lower the incline a bit at that speed. I've got a running routine that I like to do, which involves gradually increasing the incline at one speed, but alternating that with a flat incline and gradually increasing the speed. Does that make sense? For example - walk with the incline flat for 3 minutes at 3mph, then increase by .5. Do .5 at 3mph for 3 minutes, then go back to flat incline, and do that for 3 minutes at 3.1mph (or 3.5mph, you choose)... Keep doing this and building up so that eventually, your flat walking speed is at 4mph. You could do each speed/incline combination for any amount of time, and just increase that time as you get more comfortable. I hope this helps!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    2 suggestions:
    - get more accurate with your food logging/measuring again
    - up the intensity of your workout (intervals at higher speed that progressively lengthen)

good luck
  • DanielleH1213
    DanielleH1213 Posts: 154 Member
    When I exercise a lot and lift weights I either stay flat or gain a few pounds. I worked with a trainer a few years ago and while my clothes got looser and looser over 6 months I gained weight or would lose back to my starting weight. I was building a lot of muscle. The few months later the weight and inches just fell off. I went from frustrated to super motivated! Stick with it! And if you feel like you can up things then do it!
  • JennyJ2015
    I don't believe that it takes 4 weeks for your body to adjust to things and show results. That number is just there to try to not let people feel disheartened that they don't see results instantly. Some people see almost instant scale results, some not for month or more. Just keep doing what you are doing and have patience. If you see no results after 8 weeks I think you are doing something wrong and reduce your calories. Perhaps possibly start doing that now, 4 weeks should start to see some movement. Especially if overweight to start with.

people im around all the time like my closest friends and my family and my boyfriends family say the notice a difference but i have yet to notice anything and im measuring and no changes at all
  • JennyJ2015
    thanks everyone!!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Higher speed + lower incline = better cardio workout

Lower speed + higher incline = better power and strength workout

That said, 3.0 seems really low. I would alternate between 3.5 (power walk) and 4.5 (light jog) and see how it feels at lower inclines.

Accuracy in logging is crucial. You should absolutely have lost some weight in 4 weeks. Are you weighing yourself in the morning? Are you drinking enough water, keeping your sodium levels between the recommended range, and logging all snacks, drinks, and condiments?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    The highest incline at a speed of 3 is actually really good . . . IF you're not holding the handlebars! That will completely mess up your workout.

If you have the free time, then definitely add some resistance training, and try to do it in a circuit training fashion. That's more time effective and will burn fat better.
  • JennyJ2015
    Higher speed + lower incline = better cardio workout

Lower speed + higher incline = better power and strength workout

That said, 3.0 seems really low. I would alternate between 3.5 (power walk) and 4.5 (light jog) and see how it feels at lower inclines.

Accuracy in logging is crucial. You should absolutely have lost some weight in 4 weeks. Are you weighing yourself in the morning? Are you drinking enough water, keeping your sodium levels between the recommended range, and logging all snacks, drinks, and condiments?

have slipped this week but havnet logged it and then havent been drinking as much water
  • JennyJ2015
    The highest incline at a speed of 3 is actually really good . . . IF you're not holding the handlebars! That will completely mess up your workout.

If you have the free time, then definitely add some resistance training, and try to do it in a circuit training fashion. That's more time effective and will burn fat better.

i have been holding the top of the machine i didn't think that mattered ??
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    If you're not weighing your food on a scale, you're probably eating too much.

You can burn a decent amount of calories walking at 3 mph, especially at your weight. Heck, even at 170, I still burn ~200 calories an hour walking at 3 mph. Sure, it's not an hour of zumba worth of calories burned, but it's good and easy on the knees.

I'm not sure what your calorie recommendation is, but I would say weigh everything (measure liquids with a measuring cup), eat back only half your exercise calories and see where you are in a week or 2.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member

i have been holding the top of the machine i didn't think that mattered ??

Holding on burns 20-50% fewer calories by some estimates. It's also bad for your posture and balance. Some trainers even say that it can increase the risk of injury because you're forced to run/walk in an unnatural way with your arms forward and palms down. Lower the incline and build to higher inclines and speeds with your hands off.