Runners/Joggers Please help!

Options
So I really want to be able to run/jog, but right now I can't even run a whole mile without stopping. Even a half-mile would be hard for me, where do I start? How does one become a "good runner" is there any trick to it?? I feel like my breathing really throws me off too, is there a correct way to breath when you run? Please help :)

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    google the "couch to 5k" program. a lot of people have had lots of success with that in order to start running. its walking/running three times a week, and eventually helps you to run a 5k.
  • MommaFreem
    Options
    I also want to start running. Here is a website that helps beginner runners go from the couch to running a 5k (3 miles) in just two months.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    start with couch to 5k! www.coolrunning.com

I can do a couple miles on the treadmill at 4 mph, thanks to C25K
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Although I am up to walking 5 miles non stop, I am unable to run. One thing that is helping me, is during my walk, for a short perios 1 minuet or so, run then walk. bascily you add the run slowly over time.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    So I really want to be able to run/jog, but right now I can't even run a whole mile without stopping. Even a half-mile would be hard for me, where do I start? How does one become a "good runner" is there any trick to it?? I feel like my breathing really throws me off too, is there a correct way to breath when you run? Please help :)

When i started i couldn't run more than 200 meters without stopping to walk (and gasp for air!). I had been a heavy smoker for 7 years before starting to run. It's just takes a lot of dedication, patience, and hard work to develop the endurance. At first it was my breathing, and then once that caught up with me, I noticed my legs were holding me back. You just have to chip away at it unfortunately. There is no simple answer.

Try your best to breathe in and out slowly through your nose, not gasping for air, for as long as you can and jog slow. Once you find yourself unable to do this, continue to inhale through your nose and exhale from your mouth. Also, try not to inhale and exhale on the same "foot" every time. Alternating is best, I find. Most of all just listen to your body and work your way up. Walk and jog in intervals and enjoy the small victories. It can be really hard to stay motivated when you feel like you're not making much progress and you can't sustain even a jog, but you'll get there.

MommaFreem is right - C25k is a great jumping off point!

Best of luck!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5K program is the best way to get started. That is where I started and now I am training for a half-marathon. I never thought that I could run and I actually refused until I found the C25K program. You will love it. Give it a try and let us know how you like it. There are several threads that deal specifically with this program to help you and keep you motivated while doing the program. I wish you the best of luck. :0)~
  • heyitsmelindsey
    Options
    I also have the same problem. I've been walking through the woods at a fast pace and the last time I tried to run I had to slow down to just a power walk and alternate between the two. Afterward my throat was so sore!
  • aliciamille
    Options
    To add on to the breathing issue, "experts" (I have no idea who) concluded that cramps , or side stitches, can result if you exhale as your RIGHT foot hits the ground. Avoid that! Your diaphram inflates and deflates and if you exhale when your right foot hits the ground, the diaphram bumps against your liver - resulting in side stitches.

Either way, try to get into the rhythm of exhaling when your LEFT foot strikes the ground...it really really works for me anyway. Ive been running since I was 15 and had all kinds of problems with breathing until I adopted that method

GOOD LUCK!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Just a tip on the breathing that helps me (others tips sound great too!) is to breathe in slowly through the nose for 3 or 4 paces and out through the mouth for the same number of paces. It really keeps my whole body in a rhythm and keeps me from panting or gasping as I get tired.
  • jcubesmommy
    Options
    I took it REAL slow. I started by walking 4 minutes and running for 1. I gradually (by gradually I mean it took me a year) increased my run time to 30 minutes. Since then I've done 5K's, 10K's and am currently working toward the 1/2 marathon. A couple of things that I have learned is: don't run with your body up and down - lean a little in the direction you are running. I breathe in a rhythm - count to 4 in and then 4 out - or some other number depending on how quickly I am running. I breathe through my mouth because I don't feel that I get enough air if I use my nose for breathing. Another important thing I learned is that usually you can go alot longer if you slow down. You have plenty of time to work on your speed once you get the basics. It also helps to pick music with a beat that you like to run to (this doesn't neccessarily mean your favorite to listen to)

And then finally, all of that doesn't really matter - just keep running and you will find your own "help". Remember a "runner" is really only someone who has ran before and intends to run again - that means you!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I agree with Couch to 5K is a great place to start. I also recommend getting "ChiRunning" from you local library too.
  • mmannerino
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE, I FEEL A LOT BETTER AND WILL START C25K TOMORROW!!!!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Let us know how you do with it. I wish you the best of luck. :bigsmile: