I am a success story, 58 lbs down (Who knew?)

Options
124»

Replies

• Fitnwhole78
    Options
    You look awesome! I'm curious to learn what you did to lose your weight. 1200 calories? 1500 calories? Exercised a lot? Eat clean or just ate what you wanted and just counted the calories? The reason why I'm so curious because I am 178lbs and 5'2.5" :wink: So it would be interesting to learn how someone who had my same stats achieved their weight loss.

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! youre an inspiration to me!
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    On calorie intake and exercise:
    When I started out on here, I set my goal to lose at 1.5 lbs per week. That gave me 1200 calories to net each day. I worked out a LOT more at first, to eat more, and I burned out on that. I was working out for an hour 4-5 days a week and just got SICK of it. As much as I love my Jillian Michaels DVDs and Yoga Booty Ballet DVDs it was too much. I cut back on the mad exercise. I hadn't built up that kind of stamina yet.

I figured out how to make better food choices and work out for a half hour 5-6 days a week. I took breaks when I needed them; a break from exercise when I'd finish a 4 week cycle of Ripped in 30 or an odd day off if I had pushed my self too hard recently. Mental health days are important!

When I got down to 130 around November, I upped my calorie intake to a .5 lb loss (never had to adjust to a 1 lb loss, I had MFP adjusting my settings every 10 lbs and it adjusted to that on its own). That gave me 1500 calories each day to net. I typically ate 1700 calories each day. It was easier to factor in food, but a LOT slower for losses.

I hit 120 in January, and maintained for 2.5 months. I ate between 2000-2200 calories every day (net 1800) and fluctuated between 123-118. I've recently decided to get down to 115 or the body fat percentage that I'm attempting to achieve (whichever comes first, really. ^_~) So I've cut back to a .5 lb loss per week. I still eat 1800 calories per day (netting 1460ish), and that's fine by me.

My exercise routines are body weight exercises (this is my fave site, it's free and geeky! http://neilarey.com/workouts.html) and Jillian Michaels DVDs (currently on Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism). I do all of this at home.

On to the food:
    I have eaten back ALL (or close to it) of my exercise calories. I figured it's how this site is designed, why not utilize it?

To say I never changed my eating habits would be a sort of lie. I changed a lot. I started trying different foods and figuring out what I enjoy. I eat so much better than I used to because it meant that I could eat that much more! I've expanded my palate a LOT, and I find recipes all the time at allrecipes.com. It's mainly about portion sizes. I eat whatever I like because I'm going to be miserable if I don't. I just do it in much smaller portions.

I hope this helps!
  • ggbun
    ggbun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration! And thanks for the Neila Rey reference - what a cool site!
  • ceemaw
    ceemaw Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    good for you! you look great in all the photos, btw. i feel like i am where you started (about 50 lbs of post-baby weight to lose - two kids, and the "baby" is now 2 1/2) and reading about your journey and seeing your transformation and is such an inspiration. thanks for sharing!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Wow, great accomplishment! Good for you! And I love your look with the green/blue hair. I've always secretly wanted to have green hair but haven't taken the plunge!!
  • Fitnwhole78
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the info! Good stuff :happy:
  • pezall22
    pezall22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's such an awesome success story. You must be so proud of yourself! Thank you for sharing. I hope to one day be able to do this as well.
  • kittenful
    Options
    Oooh! A couple more tips that I think are really important:

Overall: Make small but sustainable changes. Building habits is key. When it's habit, it's easy!

Exercise: Figure out what you really enjoy. It's different for everybody! I can't stand yoga (I've tried, a few times) it's far too slow paced for me. However, I really enjoy things that get me moving fast: dancing, circuit training, HIIT. If you don't enjoy it, you'll be less inclined to keep it up.

Food: Stick with foods that you enjoy. I snack on cherry tomatoes (or a whole roma) and individually wrapped snack cheeses and the like. Find your happy snacks, and stick with those.
  • kittenful
    Options
    ^So basically, find things that make you happy. What's the point, otherwise?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!