Is the mfp calculator reliable to maintain weight?

Options
i started maintenance yesterday but i just want to make sure the calculator is close to accurate. i know its trial and error in the end, that's why im starting off 100 calories less than what it says.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal! That is awesome.

I found MFP's calculations to be close but slightly under maintenance. Stick with it for a month and see what happens.

Remember to keep posting here and let us know how you're doing. It takes awhile to get used to maintaining. I find it very different than losing.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    ( deleted)
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I found MFP's calculations to be close but slightly under maintenance. Stick with it for a month and see what happens.

THIS.
    Also, don't forget to eat back any exercise calories as you go into maintenance.

Congrats, and good luck!
  • cero55
    cero55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for you kind words and advice. ill be sure to keep this weight off this time
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I found it too low, by about 400 cals!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I also found it to be too low. I upped it on my own. And I'm only lightly active.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

THIS.
    Also, don't forget to eat back any exercise calories as you go into maintenance.

Congrats, and good luck!

Agreed. I still set my goal at a 250 calorie deficit, but eat back all my exercise calories. I've been stable and suspect that difference is in measurement accuracy for logging. I still log everything but it's possible I underestimate portions. I'm stable at it though.
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 1540 to maintain but I have been eating around 1700 to 1800 for 6 months now and have maintained with no change in weight...I'm wondering how far I can push it lol
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think it's fairly accurate. It has mine at 1680 I'm 5'1" & only workout a few times a week. I will eat over on the few days that I workout.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options

THIS.

Congrats, and good luck!

+1