Favorite way to add lean protein?

Im getting tired of chicken, eggs, and tuna... I need to add more protein to my diet and I can not have dairy (which means protein powders are out too). What are some of your favorite ways to add protein without a lot of extra calories/fat?

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    ... why would protein powders be out?

maybe you should research a little first - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/631908-dairy-free-protein-powder
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Steak, Salmon, Crab, shrimp, I'm doing Swordfish steaks on the grill tonight. It's almost impossible to get bored with all the different animals one can consume.

Rigger
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Steak, Salmon, Crab, shrimp, I'm doing Swordfish steaks on the grill tonight. It's almost impossible to get bored with all the different animals one can consume.

Rigger

all of this and with seafood and chicken you can add so many different flavors to it.

I agree with no protien powder as well..I prefer to get mine in with food.

The only time I use powder or shakes is when I make a smoothie...in the summer for breakfast.

ETA: forgot pork products..nom nom, pork chops, pork loin, bacon....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Im getting tired of chicken, eggs, and tuna... I need to add more protein to my diet and I can not have dairy (which means protein powders are out too). What are some of your favorite ways to add protein without a lot of extra calories/fat?

Other types of fish/seafood/meat. Beans, nuts, seeds, tofu, whole grains.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member

Rigger

So many tasty animals.....

Venison
    Lamb - not necessarily lean, but very yummy
    Turkey
    Pork
    Rabbit
    Duck

Don't be afraid to branch out and explore the wonders of the surf and turf. Fat is an essential part of a diet and shouldn't be lowered too much.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    As others have said, there are lots of protein powders that have no dairy (Isopure and Manitoba Harvest are two). If I want a creamy shake, I make it with unsweetened soy milk.

I add Trader Joe's high protein tofu to lots of stuff. It takes on the taste of whatever it's cooked with. That's my favorite protein sneak. I throw it in with my egg whites (and spinach and onions and beans) most evenings. Love bison, too!

I also pack my lunches (frozen veggies and protein) that I microwave. I often toss in some endamame in as well. Get some healthy fat as well.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I only eat the un-lean protein.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    I'm all for adding fish, shrimp and steak to the diet. I also can not have dairy and I use Garden of Life raw vegan protein powder. It's yummy. If you can't find it there are a ton of other nondairy protein powders out there. I would suggest trying packets before buying a whole tub as some may not agree with your tummy. I can't have anything with pea protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    all the animals...not sure why you're restricting yourself to only tuna, eggs, and chicken....yeah, that would suck *kitten*.
  • xplosion80
    xplosion80 Posts: 51 Member
    Soy chunks, tofu, black eye peas, variety of lentils, chick peas, red kidney beans, green peas, ground nuts, kale are few of the options in case if you want to avoid animals.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Chicken, lentils, tuna, shrimp.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Had the tastiest chuck roast tonight.