Hola I'm a newbie...41+

Options
I'm funnygirl0940...

and on the path to just being who I want to be. All the other areas of my life seem to be checking out well, I've struggled with my weight for different reasons from time to time. About 8 years ago, my husband and I totally changed our diets, after his 55 year old father nearly died from a heart attack. We watched the very first Discovery Health Body Challenge and applied it all! I went from 181 to 141 in 12 weeks. Total loss of 40 pounds. I used the Diet Power program for all these many years but it is not Mac compatible. Yesterday, I wrote out my fitness goals and went online in search of another tracking program. Came across myfitnesspal and think it's pretty darn cool! However, I'm totally lost in this forum format :( Hope to figure it out soon.

My fitness goals are to be at 145 pounds by November 10th. That will be a total loss of 23.5 pounds and I plan on reaching my goal...want to join me?

My challenges are my age & 3 herniated discs...ouch! But I know I can do this!

I do not eat processed food, w/a few small exceptions. An occasional 1/2 a serving of fat free frozen yogurt from Costco and if we are eating out I can't always find 100% unprocessed. Glad I'm home 98% of the time! I make everything we eat from ketchup to pasta and love the Mediterranean diet or way of living. It's not about low fat anymore, but healthy fats. We use the most awesome local raw honey rather than addictive sugar and juice fresh fruits and veggies. Hope I can inspire others to be all that they can be! I love my life and getting the extra weight off will make my life even easier ;)

btw...that's not really a picture of me ;)

Replies

• junebug1010
    junebug1010 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hola newbie - I'm a newbie too. Sounds like you are on the right path! I am just starting out - after spending the past 6 years steadily gaining 30 + pounds...I weighed myself today and thought I had to make a change, immediately. How hard is the process to changing to "non-processed" foods? What's your #1 most favorite meal with your new menu changes?
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Hi Junebug,
    Thank you for the welcome and welcome to yourself!!! :)

Weaning out the processed food was a process in itself. It all just kind of happened. I found myself looking up how to make authentic Mediterranean food recipes and made a garlic sauce. Well, the sauce without the garlic was mayo. So that was the first step to take out store bought mayo and use fresh homemade. I use raw egg whites in Mexico, mind you!!!, they are not sold refrigerated and we haven't gotten sick once!!! That was almost a year and a half ago. I still have yet to make mustard, but I will as soon as we use up the last of what we have in the fridge.

A favorite meal...we only eat home cooked meals so there's several favorites. Spinach pasta with marinara sauce or basil pesto. I'm learning how to cook different dry beans. Fava bean was a new Mediterranean bean and very tasty. I use it in soups. The key is to change the water while they soak and use fresh garlic cloves, even a slice of fresh ginger, will take out the gas! :) I would say the ultimate favorite is lamb's leg! zowie wowie! is it rich! stuffed with garlic and lots of fresh rosemary sprigs. It's very easy to make but a little expensive, so made every few months or so & what a treat. I serve my lamb's leg with baked sweet potatoes. I don't use any butter on the potato...just don't need anything. Yum!

Thanks for asking! So fun to share with someone who's interested ;0)