Replies

• amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of being weak, I want to be stronger
    I'm tired of being slow, I want to be faster
    I'm tired of being depressed, I want to be happier
    I'm tired of being tired, I want to be healthier

I want to be a better version of me - so it's train insane or remain the same :)
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Great post! I started originally because I had a 7.5 A1C and I asked the doctor to give me 90 days to try to get it to come down before she started me on meds. I was 371 and that first run got me down to 305 and 5.1 A1C and I stayed there for 3 years. Then for the next 3 years, I yoyoed between 315 and 340. I ended up in the hospital in February of this year for a bp of 192/145 and that motivated me to work at it again and then was diagnosed with kidney disease and an aneurysm in my abdominal aorta. All of a sudden mortality is real and I had complete control if I chose to take action. So today my why is I want to stick around a bit longer. I have made good progress down 37 lbs since February and started officially today on a mainly plant based diet to help my kidneys have to work less and continue lowering my bp. So today my why is increased kidney function and decreased BP to slow the progression of these diseases. My habits created the disease, now I need to have habits that heal them.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    StevLL: Your story shows that you have the ability to achieve your goal. I wanted to note, 'awesome', then changed it to 'insightful', and then 'inspiring'. Then, I have to tell you it was all three!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Why? It's just the way I am...

I don't "want" to be the type of person that gets up at 6am, lifts weights for 45min, then runs 4 miles, followed by ab work and stretching... I "am" the type of person that does these things...

98% of people who have lost weight, gain it back... I say f-u-c-k that...!

If you can't fly, then run, if you can't run, then walk, if you can't walk, then crawl - MLK Jr.

I have many short term goals, benchmarks that I'm trying to reach...

However, my biggest, long term goal is to die one day of old age, as an example that we can beat this, you can keep it off for the rest of your life, statistics do not decide our fate...

That's one of the reasons why I will never quit!

• Merrysailor5
    Merrysailor5 Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    My why? because I want to be the best me.... strong and healthy. I've got this one body, I should want to take care of it.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure actually. I got hurt (again) just walking, because I'm fatI think it was just a last straw. Why is this time different though? I honestly don't know entirely. I think it really helps that this time I have a couple tools I've never had before. Medication to help my sleeping issues, chronic exhaustion, and depression. And time to actually rest, plan, exercise, and do what I need to for me. Always before, I was fighting overwork, illness and constantly being e completly beat.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Because, for me, it's either get it in hand NOW, or keep adding on another 14lbs a year until I reach 300lbs+ (which I believe I would be fully capable of doing, since my hunger signals are a mess).

Alongside the whole "hey I have HUNDREDS of potential clothes out there that will not look good on me unless I am a healthy weight!!" thing
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Beetus.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be one of those women in their mid-40s that has let herself go.
  • daphnekoonce
    daphnekoonce Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Awesome discussion topic, initial post, and feed back.
    I sat down and listed reasons why I wanted to loose weight a few years ago and revisited the list frequently. I also logged journaled daily. These habits helped me stay focus on the hard days.
    I have added to my initial list throughout my journey. I have fallen many times and found a way to climb back up. In October I started working out more. I wanted to gain strength to continue working crazy hours and to have the strength to kayak and hike. I can now carry my own kayak and easily keep up with my walking/hiking buddies. I just want to stay active to have fun and inspire my children and grandchildren.
  • Wotan48
    Wotan48 Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Was always what society considered big,determined and angry. Grandma suggested to use that to my advantage and start weight lifting, so I did. I ended up solid, proud and healthy. After some tragic live events ( loss of son, cancer , car accident that tore multiple tendons and made left shoulder useless) it rolled all downhill. I would get back up dust myself off after each event and start all over again cause it makes me feel good to lift weights. The car accident was the end of last Sept. My bicep and some ligaments in my leg just finished healing. So I went back to the gym...only thing is I feel lost, I was told I will never lift weight again, or at least not like I was used to. I hate cardio and curling 15 lbs is boring. Though I do it cause it is healthy, cause a body in motion stays in motion. Luckily I have ADD, meaning I rarely deviate from my routine ,so in end it is my sanity that keeps me going.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I want to feel better mentally, physically, and emotionally.
    I watched both of my parents, one uncle and one aunt pass away from illnesses. Both of my sisters have high blood pressure, one is pre diabetic. I've suffered a miscarriage recently, and about two weeks later lost a good friend to a motorcycle accident, she was a little younger than I am.
    I realize that for years I hadn't been living my life. I'd never actively persued anything I wanted to, I made excuses to myself about everything, and let depression lead my life instead.
    I want to have a long and healthy life. I have a SO and a daughter to live for.
    I'm teaching myself to eat healthy and be active.
    I've accepted that not every day will be perfect, but I'm going to do my best.
  • karenswett1
    karenswett1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 58 in over the last couple of years I've developed the metabolic disorder trifecta: diabetes, high blood pressure and hyperlipidemia. I can't believe how much I have aged just over the last three or four years. When I was 50 I'll happily celebrated the idea about the "50 is the new 40". Now it's 58 I'm feeling like 58 is the new 68. I don't want to do this to myself, I want to be as old as I really am and not a day older.
  • Lovephoenix365
    Lovephoenix365 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My why is simple... I want to succeed in reaching my ideal weight. I want to be the strong woman i know I can be and say no to unnecessary junk and yes to working out. I want to be my best friend o:)
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    For me, it is still be healthy to support my family, as well as be a good role model. All my kids now are very fit and active. Running is the foundation for them. My two oldest are in cross country and track, and my youngest is in track and soccer. I can't even keep up with them in 5k's now. Not even my 8 year old son. He currently runs a 25 min 5k. I'm still back at 28 minutes.
  • curvesfordays8907
    curvesfordays8907 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My why:
    Because I was waking up every morning tired and in pain.
    Because I felt 78 rather than 28
    I hated the way I looked
    I loathed going clothes shopping and would end up empty handed and in tears.
    I was spiraling fast into a depression
    I was questioning why my boyfriend was with me
    I spent almost every moment out side of work in bed or on the couch.
    Because I was back up to my highest weight
    Because I had enough and decided that I love myself enough to change my bad habits.
  • snowyjr1
    snowyjr1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My whys is to restore my broken health. I want to become a more active member of my family. I do not fit in the world right now, literally. I want to look better. I've lost alot of weight in the past. I need to do it one more time and keep it off. I am looking for support from anyone going through the same challenges.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Mine is a number of things.

A desire to avoid heart disease and diabetes is high on my list.

Being a good role model for both my daughter and patients.

I felt so terrible and unhealthy. I feel so much better when I'm closer to a healthy weight. Between feeling sluggish and starting to have pain in joints and my back I was in a rough place physically.

A desire to be more physically active.

A desire for a healthy relationship with food. For me to not follow my family trend of obesity and negative relationships with food. My large sized family (about 100 people in just 3 generations) has more than 3/4 of that number who are obese. Of the ones who aren't, at least a dozen have eating disorders.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Well, I have discovered that my A1C level is 5.8, which is technically pre-diabetic, so I need to tighten up my nutrition and get back on the straight and narrow. I always suspected that I may still be susceptible to it, being there is a family history of it, but the better I can control it, the better. So my why is just focusing even more on what I started out with.