NOT Weighing Food?

ErinMcMom
ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
I know that most of the people around these parts are huge advocates of weighing food but I am really reluctant to do so. Am I alone on this?
What I'm doing here is supposed to be a sustainable lifestyle choice and I just can't see whipping out my scale and weighing everything I eat for the rest of my life. It seems like a miserable fate to be tied to that kitchen scale for eternity.
I know that I probably feel this way because I've been seeing results without weighing, maybe if my weight loss stalls out I'll be singing a different tune but right now I'm choosing not to weigh food and I'm happy about it. (I do however use measuring cups and spoons)
Any other measuring cup/spoon lovers out there? :)

Replies

• WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    I know that most of the people around these parts are huge advocates of weighing food but I am really reluctant to do so. Am I alone on this?
    What I'm doing here is supposed to be a sustainable lifestyle choice and I just can't see whipping out my scale and weighing everything I eat for the rest of my life. It seems like a miserable fate to be tied to that kitchen scale for eternity.
    I know that I probably feel this way because I've been seeing results without weighing, maybe if my weight loss stalls out I'll be singing a different tune but right now I'm choosing not to weigh food and I'm happy about it. (I do however use measuring cups and spoons)

I look at it as a really tangible way to learn what a serving actually looks like. It's quite an eye opener with some items!

I'm in Canada and we use the metric system. Trying to figure out how many cups of yogurt 100 grams is was driving me nuts. Admittedly, not a long trip.....but I digress.

I bought an electronic scale a couple of weeks ago and I know my reliance on it is temporary but for now, it's exactly what I need.

(edited for typo)
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've been slowly losing weight since January and have never measured my food. I make an estimated guess. My thoughts are the same as yours regarding a lifelong choice, and I don't want to be tied to a kitchen scale.
  • neuro_nut
    neuro_nut Posts: 78 Member
    You know, I used to feel this way as well... until I realized that weighing my food is actually easier than using measuring cups/spoons. You just put your plate/bowl on the scale and hit tare after adding each item - simple! No extra dirty dishes :)

That said, if not weighing is working for you, then that's totally fine. It was working for me too, I just really like knowing exactly how much I am eating. Scales are cheap, you could always try it out... or not, your choice!

Best of luck!
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    I am in recovery from binge eating disorder and I'm not supposed to get too into weighing and measuring. It majorly screws up my brain because I feel restricted and that can trigger a binge. My motto is "close enough" as in "Meh, 1/2 cup chickpeas - close enough."

I've been successful losing with this strategy and haven't engaged in any ED behaviors since I started about 70 days ago.
  • hennaj22
    hennaj22 Posts: 30 Member
    Me me me! I have had great success with just my measuring cups and spoons. I really agree with your point about making a sustainable lifestyle choice. You just can't weigh your food all the time. I posted a topic similar to this to rant about how anytime someone posts that they can't lose weight 100 people jump in and tell them that they NEED a food scale. One guy replied something similar to, "We'll see how you feel about food scales when you have that last 10lbs to lose". Uh, if I only have 10 more pounds to lose that means I already lost 90 and I think I can live with weighing 10lbs more than my goal as long as I look and feel good.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    You had me until you mentioned using measuring cups and spoons. Cuz I've lost weight without calorie counting before. But if you're going to count using measuring cups, etc. it will be a little off. But hey, if it's working for you, just roll with it.

ETA: I will NOT be weighing and measuring my food for the rest of my life. Nope. Using this as a tool to bulk/cut and that's it.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    I think it is less about weighing and measuring than it is about knowing how many calories you are actually eating.

I don't weigh low sugar fruits/veggies. I will measure (using measuring cups) grains, e.g. Once I started measuring foods like grains, I realized exactly how small a cup of cooked pasta is, and that really changed how much I ate eating out.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    I rarely weigh my food.

I do measure with cups and spoons some of the time. The foods I use often in the same amounts (such as tbsp of butter), I just "eyeball." My fist is about the size of a cup so I use that as a gauge. (I had a fist of ice cream last night--lol)
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    I don't bring my scale with my anywhere. It sits on my kitchen counter and when I make my meals at home, I use it. It's really not hard or restrictive.

Using a scale is much easier (not to mention way more accurate) than measuring cups and spoons. Plus, you don't have to dirty an extra cup or spoon because scales have a "tare" function. If you're using cups and spoons, you may as well use a scale.

Also, a scale is tremendously eye opening for what a serving size *actually* is.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    You do realize that it is much easier and quicker to use a food scale than it is to use measuring cups, right? It's actually more sustainable, as well. But to each their own. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    If you have trouble estimating food, then a food scale can train your eyes about portion size. But if it is working for you, then don't do it.

I have to measure some things, like nut butter, meat, etc., because my eyes still can't estimate very accurately.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I don't bring my scale with my anywhere. It sits on my kitchen counter and when I make my meals at home, I use it. It's really not hard or restrictive.

Using a scale is much easier (not to mention way more accurate) than measuring cups and spoons. Plus, you don't have to dirty an extra cup or spoon because scales have a "tare" function. If you're using cups and spoons, you may as well use a scale.

Also, a scale is tremendously eye opening for what a serving size *actually* is.

This...

and it will stay on my counter until it breaks to be replaced with another.

I don't travel it and it's all of 5mins a day..not a meal...a day.

I lost weight as well without it...not as much as I should have been tho and with only 2lbs to go no way will I not weigh now..I have to be very careful with my intake otherwise I could be stuck here for a long time...

The closer you get to maintenance the more accurate you need to be.

Am I getting better at portions..sure am...for things I eat frequently.

For example I cut a peice of pork chop today hoping it was 100g...102...
    Cheese (as long as it's kraft cracker barrel big block) I can pretty much cut off 30g no questions...another brand yah no.

It is a personal choice and if you don't want to don't...but those of us who do use it understand why it's the most useful tool for our weight loss...and you will very very rarely see anyone who uses a scale post "Help I am staying in goal and not losing"...
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    I think if you use one long enough, you'll be better able to more accurately guesstimate portion sizes in the future. A sort of mental muscle memory. For people who overestimate their portion sizes, like most overweight people, it is a good initial tool for weight loss and a good tool for teaching you portion sizes and eventually better portion control. In that case, you don't have to use it for a lifetime, just long enough to teach yourself what an oz of meat looks like and how much 100g of rice is. Once you've self taught that, it could be retired for everyday use and just brought out when needed in the future.

That said, my mother always used a kitchen scale when she cooked and only used liquid measuring cups and measuring spoons. It was the kind with little weight slides and I have fond memories of learning my first math problems with her and that scale. I didn't even know people measured solids with cups until I cooked with someone outside the family.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member

I am right there with you!!! I will log my calories to the best of my abilities but I REFUSE to weigh my food. I like to rely on intuitive eating and commonsense when it comes to things like pasta or dining out at a restaurant or someone's house.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    How is using measuring cups and spoons different (other than they're less accurate and, as has been mentioned, require more clean up)?

You say you don't see yourself whipping out a scale for the rest of your life. But somehow using measuring cups and spoons is less burdensome? (I don't find weighing burdensome, but you seem to think that it is.) Just like using cups/spoons and getting to a point where you can "eyeball," you can become used to how much certain items weigh.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    You do realize that it is much easier and quicker to use a food scale than it is to use measuring cups, right? It's actually more sustainable, as well. But to each their own. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I don't realize this because it's not a hard and fast rule. It's a lot easier to use measuring cups when I make rice or use chickpeas or shredded carrots or any number of foods. Am I supposed to weigh ingredients when I'm making a cake or is it ok to use measuring cups for flour?
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Lost weight in the past without weighing food or using measuring cups. Just ate less than I did before. lol

Everyone I know that has lost weight never weighed their food. I only came across this concept on MFP.

With that being said, by me weighing my food I now eat way more than I did in the past when losing weight. I cannot believe I was able to eat as much as I do. In the past I just ate once or twice a day and that's it.

No, I do not want to weigh food for the rest of my life and there are days I don't. It can be overwhelming and in a way an obsessive chore I find. Constantly on my mind. Irritating. lol

But, for now I do it and it's working. I get to eat more. lol

In the future I hope not to be that obsessive and be able to enjoy my food without having to weigh it. lol.... I'm getting pretty good at eyeballing it so we will see once I hit my goal.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    I refused to weigh my food at first too, I thought measuring cups and spoons were good enough and that weighing would make me crazy. That was until I had a week I didn't lose at all then the following week where I lost less than a pound (early on I might add so I had a decent amount to lose)

I went and bought a scale and it was amazing to see the difference in what I could eat once I weighed it. Some things I was eating way less and others I was way over (Peanut Butter for example I was eating more than I should have)
    It has been life changing. No I don't figure I will need to weigh everything forever but I am learning now better portion sizes and what they should look like.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member

I don't realize this because it's not a hard and fast rule. It's a lot easier to use measuring cups when I make rice or use chickpeas or shredded carrots or any number of foods. Am I supposed to weigh ingredients when I'm making a cake or is it ok to use measuring cups for flour?

I don't think you understand how a food scale works. When you make rice, put your pot on your scale, hit tare, and pour your rice in the pot until you hit the amount of grams of a serving (or however many servings you're making). When you're making shredded carrots, put the plate or bowl from which you will eat your shredded carrots onto the scale, hit tare, and see how much that weighs and log accordingly.

Also, yes, professional bakers use food scales rather than measuring cups and spoons. For accuracy.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    I see it as a learning tool too - obviously I can't eat 'by eye' because I have been eating that way for a while and now I am obese. So I am training myself to eat correct portions and re-learn how to eat by eye properly. I may or may not weigh carbs and dessert foods for the rest of my life, it doesn't really upset me or take that much extra time.