Eating back burnt calories,defeating the object?

Options

Replies

• holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    When it comes to calorie deficits, bigger isn't necessarily better. If you don't eat back your exercise calories, your calorie deficit gets larger. You're already starting with a 26% deficit, which is way too high, and then you're adding more of a deficit on top of that.

Muscle tissue is calorically expensive so if you're not eating enough your body will get rid of muscle tissue before it gets rid of fat to conserve energy. Someone with your BF% shouldn't go lower than a 15% deficit if they want to maintain their lean tissue. Extreme deficits also have a tendency to mess with your hormones and metabolism, too. It's just not a good idea.

So good luck with that 26-30% deficit.
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    But if my maintenance is 2700 now and I eat back my burnt calories I'll be back at maintenance

Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean it's wrong.

It looks like you are working off of TDEE, not MFP's setup?

When you say 2700 is your maintenance - does that INCLUDE your lifitng?

If so, then no, you wouldn't eat them back.

MFP does NOT include exercise until AFTER it is completed and entered. Use MFP - you are given calories to eat at a deficit WITHOUT exercise. Then you exercise = bigger deficit (which is NOT often a good thing, you want a healthy deficit). So then you eat them back, taking you back to your original deifict.

Do you really not understand, or are you just stirring things up?

If you work off of TDEE and are telling people eating their exercise cals negates their exercise, you are confusing those who use MFP's setup and need to eat their exercise cals.

Where did I tell anyone eating their calories back negates their exercise?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance right now. I eat some of my calories back. If I lose weight I will eat more. If I gain weight I will eat less. I did not eat them back while losing but my base calories were pretty high. I lost about 1lb a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    But if my maintenance is 2700 now and I eat back my burnt calories I'll be back at maintenance

MFP does NOT include exercise until AFTER it is completed and entered. Use MFP - you are given calories to eat at a deficit WITHOUT exercise. Then you exercise = bigger deficit (which is NOT often a good thing, you want a healthy deficit). So then you eat them back, taking you back to your original deifict.

If you work off of TDEE and are telling people eating their exercise cals negates their exercise, you are confusing those who use MFP's setup and need to eat their exercise cals.

yes my maintenance with my daily expenditure included.Stirring things up?Yeah I always 'stir things up' with calories lol.Just wanted some opinions,not saying they are wrong or I'm right I'm just interested

MFP is a NEAT method calculator...as such, exercise is not accounted for up front in the activity level...just day to day stuff...this is why MFP has you eat back exercise calories...you have to account for them somewhere.

You are using the TDEE method so you wouldn't eat back exercise calories.

You have to understand which method of calorie counting the calculator is using.
  • felonebeats
    Options
    When it comes to calorie deficits, bigger isn't necessarily better. If you don't eat back your exercise calories, your calorie deficit gets larger. You're already starting with a 26% deficit, which is way too high, and then you're adding more of a deficit on top of that.

Muscle tissue is calorically expensive so if you're not eating enough your body will get rid of muscle tissue before it gets rid of fat to conserve energy. Someone with your BF% shouldn't go lower than a 15% deficit if they want to maintain their lean tissue. Extreme deficits also have a tendency to mess with your hormones and metabolism, too. It's just not a good idea.

15%? no the understood percent to lose roughly a pound a week is 20% deficit while holding on to lean muscle tissue
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

That was probably a bit of an extrapolation of my part. But, you are saying that eating them will eat into your deficit. Obviously exercise improves health, so it wouldn't be entirely negated if you ate all of your deficit.

But, again, point being you are basing your deficit off of TDEE, not MFP. For those using MFP, eating them does not eat into their original deficit.
  • felonebeats
    Options

yes my maintenance with my daily expenditure included.Stirring things up?Yeah I always 'stir things up' with calories lol.Just wanted some opinions,not saying they are wrong or I'm right I'm just interested

MFP is a NEAT method calculator...as such, exercise is not accounted for up front in the activity level...just day to day stuff...this is why MFP has you eat back exercise calories...you have to account for them somewhere.

You are using the TDEE method so you wouldn't eat back exercise calories.

You have to understand which method of calorie counting the calculator is using.

The penny has dropped haha My maintenance is INCLUDING my weightlifting so my deficit remains just that amount,MFP works it out differently.I understand now(took me a while I'm tired)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Depends on diet,how you train,are you an Ectomorph Mesomorph or Endomorph etc

nope...nope....nope...and most definately nope.

Why not?

because I said so...

seriously tho Ecto, Meso and Endo...all rubbish.

Your deficet is important and if it's too big it is almost impossible to hit proper macros...and to train properly.

but if you are doing TDEE you aren't suppose to eat back exercise calories that is for NEAT Method.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

:flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    Options

15%? no the understood percent to lose roughly a pound a week is 20% deficit while holding on to lean muscle tissue

If your maitenance is 2700 and you are cutting at 2000 you are more than 20%..you are at 25%...

Hard to believe your maintenace is 350 higher than mine tho...interesting...
  • felonebeats
    Options

Why not?

because I said so...

Your deficet is important and if it's too big it is almost impossible to hit proper macros...and to train properly.

but if you are doing TDEE you aren't suppose to eat back exercise calories that is for NEAT Method.

my macros are...protein 238g carbs 163g fat 45 g
  • SezxyStef
    Options

In the title of the thread...or rather questioned it...
  • felonebeats
    Options

If your maitenance is 2700 and you are cutting at 2000 you are more than 20%..you are at 25%...

I was at 500 deficit but stalling so dropped to 700.How much do you weigh?
  • felonebeats
    Options

In the title of the thread...or rather questioned it...

Exactly questioned it not stated it
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Why not?

because I said so...

okay means nothing without seeing if you are hitting them...I suspect there is a lot of protien shakes/bars etc in there.

At 1700 calories and hitting 120g can be a struggle for me sometimes...If I don't eat at leat 35g a meal I don't hit it..but I don't always want bacon and eggs for breakfast...sometimes cereal is yummy with toast.
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    i try not to eat them back because i dont feel like i lose when i do. ive ate some back today and i already know that i shouldnt have cause i wont get much of a lose this week :(. dam easter lol.

Ill be fined once these eggs are all gone. i just need to get my head on right and thinking positive again
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I was at 500 deficit but stalling so dropped to 700.How much do you weigh?

157lbs...5ft 7... 41 year old female. Just calculated my TDEE for maintenance and it works out to 2288 for the last 21 days of my data.

Consumed 39294 calories, lost 2.5lbs total is 48044/21=2287.81
  • felonebeats
    Options
    I eat the same thing everyday in the same exact quantities everyday.I eat low fat greek yoghurt,chicken,tuna,oats and shakes.Same meals everyday.My diet is exact
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Why not?

because I said so...

Why so little fat? the typical suggesting for minimum fat intake ranges from 0.35 to 0.40 grams per lb of body weight. So if you are 180lbs that would be 63 to 72, as minimums.... Or is there a medical condition why your fat is so low? Not sure how much you weigh, this was just an example
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

:flowerforyou:

THANK YOU! I was going to post that link, but you beat me to it.