31 Years Old and 100+lbs to lose :)

Options
Hi everyone! I realized that I responded to someone else's post, but never actually introduced myself. So if you happened to have read my other post, I just copied and pasted it here.

I am 31, and at 286 lbs. I joined a few months ago when I began having serious health problems, and am now on a journey needing to lose about 120lbs. In October, I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (Pseudotumor Cerebri) which was quite literally blinding me. Within a month's time, I had lost 90% of the vision in my left eye, and 70% of the vision in my right eye. It was incredibly scary, and required that I be rushed into surgery to have a VP shunt placed in my brain. Because being female, overweight, and on birth control are all risk factors for this condition, I am determined to lose the weight and hopefully put the whole disorder into remission. After surgery, I was on bedrest for 8 weeks, and gained even more weight, the highest of which landed me at 297lbs. That number will forever be burned into my brain. It's tough getting started, as I still have a ton of fatigue, but I have lost about 20 lbs in the past three months just by watching what I eat. Of course, I have learned that giving and getting support along the way really makes a difference, so let me know if you need a cheerleader from my end!

I think my biggest revelation is realizing how emotional my eating patterns are, and that will be my focus as I really try to get healthy, body and mind. It can be overwhelming to think of how far I have to go, but I think my strategy is to break it down into smaller pieces. For example, my first goal is to reach 250, and then I'll figure out my next one when I get there. Thanks for being such a great community thus far!

Replies

• amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Wow, quite the ordeal. I've got a fair bit of work to do as well. Just gotta keep rolling, one day at a time. :)
  • WoofD
    WoofD Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely cheerleading for you! Also 31 years old and now down to 250 pounds ... with a long way to go yet.
    Just take it step by step, eat clean and I think you will be surprised how amazing the human body is at healing ;-)
  • mymonty
    mymonty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That is one hell of a plate in front of you! If you want/need a pal, please add me. I finally found my focus (with the help of weight watchers) and want to lose 102 pounds.

Enough about me, I hope your condition can be turned around so that you don't lose all of your sight. I'm on here every day, so feel free to add me.

Wishing you a great upward swing!
  • reese2282
    reese2282 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I should add that since surgery I have regained all of my vision back and my cerebral pressure is completely back to normal. The shunt only lasts 5-7 years though, so if I want to avoid another surgery in the future the weight has to come off - at least that's my best chance. I appreciate all of the support!