Training at low altitude for high altitude race

Options
I live at sea level and want to run a couple high altitude races next year as bucket list items. I'd like to do the Grand Canyon 1/2 and the Mt. Zion 1/2. Problem is the difference in altitude and oxygen. I won't have any opportunity to train at altitude before the race. Would taking B12 during the training phase to build more red blood cells help to reduce some of the effects of running in high altitude, particularly oxygen transport and exchange? Having more red blood cells means there's more oxidation going on and an anti-oxidant supplement would probably have to be added as well. I'm not looking for a competitive edge. I'm not a fast runner by any means (I average a 6'33" pace), simply trying to avoid fatigue and headache. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Lofty Goals!

There's a lot that goes into races of that nature (racing in general actually) - how fit are you currently, are you RACING or just looking to complete, what does your training look like, etc.. Daniels talks about this in the Running Formula, one of the best running books I own. Might be a good idea to check out a copy.