Do I need to track my fruit and vegetables?

Options
13»

Replies

• stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Seems to me people are answering the question (you have to log them or calorie counting just doesn't work) but not addressing the issue at hand which is that you're hungry towards the end of the day.

If that's a regular thing for you, then it's probably a good idea to look at your general intake and see if you can tweak it to better balance the day. The point of a weight loss diet is not to be hungry, it's just to take in less calories.

THIS is what we should be focusing on. I've heard a ton of people (myself included) complain about being hungry but having no calories left to eat anything. At this point, you have a few options:

1. Emergency option: Eat something filling and smallish that doesn't completely blow your deficit- that way you'll still be slightly under or at maintenance.
    2. Eating due to boredom/ habit/ dehydration option: Drink some hot tea or water. I've found that having a big glass of liquid will sometimes take the edge off hunger, especially hot liquids. It may or may not work for you.
    3. Best option: Plan better! If your last meal is more than 3 or 4 hours before you go to sleep, it's PERFECTLY NORMAL to be hungry. If you can't move your last meal to a later time or go to bed earlier, pre-log an evening snack early in the day. You may have to adjust your intake just a little throughout the day to make up for it, but it will really cut down on stressing about being hungry. Also, you'll be able to look forward to it all day long.

I hope this helps. I've known people who have been wildly successful on WW, and also some that abused the 'free' foods and were not so successful. I prefer calories/ macros because it seems more precise and clear-cut to me, but if WW works for you, then godspeed!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    The only thing "free" is water. Everything else has calories...log it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    On the subject of logging everything.... It's just got me thinking, (stupid question probably!) I put lemon and lime slices into my glass of water to flavour it, although I don't actually eat the slices should I be tracking them? I'm still getting the juice out of them alhough probably minimal but I've realised that's going towards my sugar intake at least?

it'll be very low in calories if you're not actually eating the slices, like 1-2 cals and less than a gram of sugar max. When you bear in mind that even with weighing your food, a lot of your entries will be out by a few calories (hopefully not too much if you're weighing carefully and using accurate data for the food you log) it's probably not worth sweating over the calorie content of things that are that low in calories. I don't log tea for this reason (I drink it black, no sugar). It's also really hard to measure the tiny quantity of lemon juice that's getting in your water, so whatever you log it as is likely to be as inaccurate as not logging it at all.

This of course only applies to things that have tiny numbers of calories. Going back to the OP's question, there are some veggies that if eaten in tiny quantities in a salad I don't see the point in logging for accuracy in the calorie number (but I still log them to keep a record of how much fruit/veg I'm eating) e.g. a small serving of onion in a salad is like 7 calories or so.... I'd understand not logging these particular veggies, but fruits and most vegetables actually do add a lot of calories and additionally if you're eating plenty of fruit and veg for health/micronutrients, the calories in them add up pretty quickly.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Fruits are crazy with sugars, and a lot of veggies are chock full of carbs. You'd be surprised at how it all adds up.
    While true, neither sugars nor carbs are necessarily bad for a person, barring specific medical conditions.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yes, log fruits and veggies. Even if they're low in calories, it's helpful to see the sodium, vitamin, sugar and carb intake that comes from these foods.
  • winonavampire
    winonavampire Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    One thing that bothers be is the "rule" that if a serving has less than X calories (can't remember what "X" is), it can be listed as "0". Example. Baby dill pickles have "0" calories per pickle. But I'm pretty sure if I eat the whole jar, it is going to be more than 0...

I have the sense to know that 0 is not 0... but not everyone may understand that and think, oh, I can eat a whole jar... or 10 jars and think none of it counted.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    How you track is up to you. You won't see the same, consistent results if you don't track everything you eat, but it's still up to you. I personally do track them - I want the people on my friends list to know I've been eating them! I also track my water intake to be sure I'm getting enough.

I think the point of the log is to get the whole picture.

ETA: You could also lower your calorie goal and add in free fruits and veggies. When I was on the 1200 calorie diet, I lowered myself to 1000 calories but fruits and veggies were totally free. Mind you, I was still starving because I was 18 and at a healthy weight and why did I eat 1200 calories in the first place I do not know. But my point is that you can lower your goal and have more "freedom."
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if I can still lose weight without tracking my fruit and vegetable intake. I know people have lots of success with weight watchers and these items are "free". I realize it all comes down to a calorie deficite, but the idea of being able to eat something when I'm hungry and all my calories for the day are used up is really appealing. Any suggestions? Anyone done weight watchers and is now doing this? Thanks!

If you are using WW then track per their policy. If you are using MFP or any other site then do the same. Otherwise, you will get a head and *kitten* ache trying to balance the two.
  • haylslade
    haylslade Posts: 22
    Options
    On the subject of logging everything.... It's just got me thinking, (stupid question probably!) I put lemon and lime slices into my glass of water to flavour it, although I don't actually eat the slices should I be tracking them? I'm still getting the juice out of them alhough probably minimal but I've realised that's going towards my sugar intake at least?

it'll be very low in calories if you're not actually eating the slices, like 1-2 cals and less than a gram of sugar max. When you bear in mind that even with weighing your food, a lot of your entries will be out by a few calories (hopefully not too much if you're weighing carefully and using accurate data for the food you log) it's probably not worth sweating over the calorie content of things that are that low in calories. I don't log tea for this reason (I drink it black, no sugar). It's also really hard to measure the tiny quantity of lemon juice that's getting in your water, so whatever you log it as is likely to be as inaccurate as not logging it at all.

This of course only applies to things that have tiny numbers of calories. Going back to the OP's question, there are some veggies that if eaten in tiny quantities in a salad I don't see the point in logging for accuracy in the calorie number (but I still log them to keep a record of how much fruit/veg I'm eating) e.g. a small serving of onion in a salad is like 7 calories or so.... I'd understand not logging these particular veggies, but fruits and most vegetables actually do add a lot of calories and additionally if you're eating plenty of fruit and veg for health/micronutrients, the calories in them add up pretty quickly.

Thanks, I was thinking that but wanted to be sure :)
  • Shellbug75
    Shellbug75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many rude comments. She is asking a question. You didn't know everything when you started your journey. Relax!
    With that being said, I would log it :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    szirby wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I can still lose weight without tracking my fruit and vegetable intake. I know people have lots of success with weight watchers and these items are "free". I realize it all comes down to a calorie deficite, but the idea of being able to eat something when I'm hungry and all my calories for the day are used up is really appealing. Any suggestions? Anyone done weight watchers and is now doing this? Thanks!

You might lose weight. You might not. Lots of people lose weight without logging any food or knowing how many calories they eat or burn.
    If you are tracking calories though you should track everything you consume including fruits and vegetables.
    If you are still hungry most days after reaching your calorie goal maybe your calorie goal is too low/agressive. You might do better with losing weight at a slower rate and getting more calories. Maybe you need to eat more satisfying foods with protein, fats and fiber. Maybe you just need to plan and pre-log your food better. Maybe you are actually thirsty instead of hungry and should just drink a glass of water.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    szirby wrote: »

LOL...Well, of course it's appealing, but since fruit and veggies have calories as well it will also cause you to exceed your calories for the day. As appealing as it may sound to you, you can't eat any food in unlimited quantities and expect to lose weight. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Shellbug75 wrote: »
    Wow! So many rude comments. She is asking a question. You didn't know everything when you started your journey. Relax!
    With that being said, I would log it :)

This post is over a year old. I am sure everyone is over it by now.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yesterday morning my breakfast was over 500 calories, even though it was healthy. Guess what it was - a smoothie with blueberries, oranges, pineapple, a half of a frozen banana, a sliver of ginger root, a sprinkle of reduced fat organic coconut flakes and 2 tbsp of non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt. The majority of those calories came from the oranges and the pineapple, so it should serve as a personal lesson as to the importance of tracking everything - including fruits and veggies. I even track my vitamins, since they have calories.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    WW gives you those zero point (not free) fruits because they incorporate it into the amount of daily points they give you. They assume that you're going to eat a reasonable amount of fruits and veggies a day. It would be like MFP figuring that you should consume 1500 calories a day, but telling you 1200 so you don't have to log your fruits and veggies.

Having said that....if you don't want to log fruits and veggies, join Weight Watchers. It's not a "stupid" program. It works, even with zero point fruit. But it's expensive (hence my presence here).

If you want to save money and do MFP, then log everything.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    They assume that you're going to eat a reasonable amount of fruits and veggies a day.

Precisely. WW assumes instead of tracking those fruits and veggies that you're going to be staying within their Good Health Guidelines, which is something like 5 servings total of fruits and veggies per day (unless you weight 350+lbs). I mean, I know the general mantra is, "no one got fat from eating carrots and strawberries". That's true, but if someone takes a snapshot of the overall caloric intake of someone's day 700 extra calories of un-tracked fruits and veggies can put someone over their limit.