Brown Rice question

Options
back2happy2005
back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
I want to make tomorrows dinner tonight or tomorrow morning but am not sure if my idea will work. Here is what I am thinking. If anyone knows if this will or will not work please let me know before I make a mess of dinner!

I was going to put 2 cups instant brown rice in a baking dish with the amount of water called for. Then top with chicken breasts, green peppers and onions. Cover with foil and leave in the refrigerator for my daughter to put in the oven for 1 hour so this will be done when I get home. I was then going to pour wok sauce over before serving. We will only have about 20 min to eat and run out the door and I really do not want to do fast food! Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

Replies

• AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    idk why but that doesn't sound like it will cook in time
    i'm probably wrong

but personally I would either use the rice cooker (if you have one)
    or make rice the regular way on the stove and bake the chicken how you were saying without the rice

most recipes like this call for a cream of something soup added in that
    http://southernfood.about.com/od/chickenrice/r/blbb213.htm

this recipe has you make the "soup" yourself which is healthier and basically seasoning and water
    http://pinchofyum.com/chicken-and-rice-casserole

hope that helps :)
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Instant rice cooks much quicker than genuine rice - so your cook time of an hour should be just fine.
  • kcoston101
    Options
    I like to add a can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup :D I have done this dozens of time. yum yum
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I was still scared of coming home to an inedible dinner so I decided I am going to try this on a weekend so if it turns out bad I will have time to fix something else. I did find at the store last night brown rice cups already cooked. so I will just throw in the microwave add my veggies and sauce. no meat but it will leave me enough calories to have a decent snack once we get home. I just love softball season!! lol