DeadLifts and Sore Back?

Options

Replies

• NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It is very easy to lose form (and not even realize it) if you are doing 'touch and go's'. Do a reset with the weight on the ground after each rep and abandon the lift if you feel your form go away during the pull.
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for all the feedback! Definitely reading them all and taking mental notes! :)
  • trisha986
    Options
    It is very easy to lose form (and not even realize it) if you are doing 'touch and go's'. Do a reset with the weight on the ground after each rep and abandon the lift if you feel your form go away during the pull.

Good idea. I like to do Romanian Deadlifts and only put the weights down when I'm done with a set. But maybe I can compare the two and see the difference in back soreness.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It may not be form. Like others have said, it could be normal soreness after lifting. Like, I upped weight yesterday on my squats and today they are a tad sore. Nothing painful, just sore. As the day has gone on, I've noticed it less. When DL'ing, I've had it before, too, but nothing severe or long lasting. If that is the case, then you are probably fine. It could also be that your core isn't quite strong enough which I think is my issue. So, I stayed at weight (low) to help get those stronger first. Improving nicely now! If you are really concerned, you can tape it and then post it in the form review thread either in lifting or something like the Strong Lifts for Women group.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Trisha!! Thank you so much for posting this! I tell ya, I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Those darn deadlifts are killing my lower back! What am I doing wrong?" I haven't even read all the feedback yet, but thanks for posting this. Really!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are noticing the soreness and wondering if it is normal or not means you are aware of your body and will probably avoid injuries in the future. I think you are doing everything you should.....getting others to check your form and staying tuned in to what your body feels. Like I said, my back is sore sometimes when I do deads, but not alot. You shouldn't be sore alot, your body should get used to the lifts and if you are slowly adding weight, you shouldn't be too sore that often. I get sore after I lift around my 1RM (300lbs).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    One problem is that, with light to medium weights, your form could _look_ ok, but you still might not be engaging the right muscles in the right way. One thing my trainer did was to put her hand in various locations on my back when I was doing DLs with moderate weights so that she could tell what muscles I was engaging.

I guess what I lift could be considered light to medium. Right now I lift 50 lbs (quarters on each end). But I guess for everyone heavy/medium/light could be considered something different.

that's 95 lbs- not 50.

the bar weighs something too ;)

If you are just a little sore- it doesn't sound like you're form is bad necessarily- just that you aren't used to it. It DOES use your lower back- and if you are doing stiff leg DL/straight leg/romanian style- then you could definitely be using it in a way more than it's used to being used.

I wouldn't write it off as bad form- I would take a video and re-evaluate and see. It honestly doesn't sound right off the bat as bad form.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've pulled my lower back, and I think you would know if you did. There's a definite "oh sh**" moment. And then it takes a few days of hobbling around like an old woman before it clears up. Walking helps.
  • trisha986
    Options
    One problem is that, with light to medium weights, your form could _look_ ok, but you still might not be engaging the right muscles in the right way. One thing my trainer did was to put her hand in various locations on my back when I was doing DLs with moderate weights so that she could tell what muscles I was engaging.

I guess what I lift could be considered light to medium. Right now I lift 50 lbs (quarters on each end). But I guess for everyone heavy/medium/light could be considered something different.

that's 95 lbs- not 50.

the bar weighs something too ;)

If you are just a little sore- it doesn't sound like you're form is bad necessarily- just that you aren't used to it. It DOES use your lower back- and if you are doing stiff leg DL/straight leg/romanian style- then you could definitely be using it in a way more than it's used to being used.

I wouldn't write it off as bad form- I would take a video and re-evaluate and see. It honestly doesn't sound right off the bat as bad form.

I can't believe I forgot to include the bar weight, haha! Thanks for the correction and help.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    You may need to work on strengthening your lower back. I have some great at-home exercises I use for this.

First I will dig a large hole in my backyard, as shoveling helps develop core strength.

Then I take some black lawn/leaf bags that I have previously filled up with old clothes that I no longer wear and I will carry them out to the hole and toss them in.

I then proceed to fill the hole up and that signals the end of a workout.

Later on that night once I've recovered, I'll go dig up the bags and bring them out to my car and toss them in the trunk, so I can take them to Goodwill the next day.

I find this is incredibly effective at building lower back strength and muscle in general. My neighbors are so intimidated by my physical prowess that they won't even look at when they walk past my house and this tells me it's working
  • trisha986
    Options
    Trisha!! Thank you so much for posting this! I tell ya, I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "Those darn deadlifts are killing my lower back! What am I doing wrong?" I haven't even read all the feedback yet, but thanks for posting this. Really!

So happy I'm not the only one with this question! Glad I can help! :)
  • trisha986
    Options
    I've pulled my lower back, and I think you would know if you did. There's a definite "oh sh**" moment. And then it takes a few days of hobbling around like an old woman before it clears up. Walking helps.

Hahaha thanks! Sorry you've had to go through that. Pulled muscles are not fun, I know!
  • trisha986
    Options
    You may need to work on strengthening your lower back. I have some great at-home exercises I use for this.

First I will dig a large hole in my backyard, as shoveling helps develop core strength.

Then I take some black lawn/leaf bags that I have previously filled up with old clothes that I no longer wear and I will carry them out to the hole and toss them in.

I then proceed to fill the hole up and that signals the end of a workout.

Later on that night once I've recovered, I'll go dig up the bags and bring them out to my car and toss them in the trunk, so I can take them to Goodwill the next day.

I find this is incredibly effective at building lower back strength and muscle in general. My neighbors are so intimidated by my physical prowess that they won't even look at when they walk past my house and this tells me it's working

Wow! Very creative!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When deadlifting, really focus on the legs. Get up close to the bar and get your butt as low as possible. To complete the lift drive up thru the legs. Focusing your eyes on an object high up will help keep your back straight thru out the lift.

Are you doing high reps or low reps? High reps and fatigue often lead to lower back injuries. As fatigue sets in, form tends to fall by the wayside. Be sure to get the butt down and reset after each rep. Each rep should be done with careful purpose and not just to finish the exercise. Any exercises done after deadlifting also need to be done carefully. It's pretty easy to reach over and pick up a dumbbell with a tired back and throw yourself out of whack.

Deadlifts are one of the best exercises and it's great that you're doing them. Happy lifting!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

So happy I'm not the only one with this question! Glad I can help! :)

when I was doing my last program- I did 1 x 15 working set of stiff leg dead lifts- the first time I did it I could hardly walk- and I'm very aware- it just made me SO tight!!!

just something I wasn't used to!!! Just pay attention to your body- sharp pain is obviously different than just achy I don't use it often pain.

But again- I would definitely video yourself and compare with some tutorials- or get an evaluation from someone.
  • trisha986
    Options
    The fact that you are noticing the soreness and wondering if it is normal or not means you are aware of your body and will probably avoid injuries in the future. I think you are doing everything you should.....getting others to check your form and staying tuned in to what your body feels. Like I said, my back is sore sometimes when I do deads, but not alot. You shouldn't be sore alot, your body should get used to the lifts and if you are slowly adding weight, you shouldn't be too sore that often. I get sore after I lift around my 1RM (300lbs).

Thank you Katrina :) I am very conscious of my body and try my best to avoid injury, because it'll keep me out of the gym! hah!
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Good idea. I like to do Romanian Deadlifts and only put the weights down when I'm done with a set. But maybe I can compare the two and see the difference in back soreness.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about Romanian DL's. I was referring to resetting with the bar on the floor during standard deadlifts.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    A couple things I notice a lot of people with good form still do wrong is not treating the DL as a true "dead" lift. They're bringing the weight down, touching the ground, and doing another rep. Treat every rep as a single. Release all the weight before starting the next rep.

Also, this ties into the first point, when you're lowering the weight, once you pass the knee, let the bar basically drop. Still hold onto it, but it's a controlled drop. You do that because that's the part of the lift that's supported mostly by your lower back. If you're lowering it slowly, and letting it gently touch the ground, even with good form, the lower back feels too much strain.
  • trisha986
    Options
    A couple things I notice a lot of people with good form still do wrong is not treating the DL as a true "dead" lift. They're bringing the weight down, touching the ground, and doing another rep. Treat every rep as a single. Release all the weight before starting the next rep.

Also, this ties into the first point, when you're lowering the weight, once you pass the knee, let the bar basically drop. Still hold onto it, but it's a controlled drop. You do that because that's the part of the lift that's supported mostly by your lower back. If you're lowering it slowly, and letting it gently touch the ground, even with good form, the lower back feels too much strain.

Thank you. I don't even let the bar touch the ground until I'm done with my rep. I pull it back up once I pass the knee. Maybe that's putting too much strain on my back (RDLs).
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Thank you. I don't even let the bar touch the ground until I'm done with my rep. I pull it back up once I pass the knee. Maybe that's putting too much strain on my back (RDLs).

Maybe that is the problem, my bad though. I didn't know you were doing RDLs. I wouldn't of commented since I don't do RDLs.