Replies

• mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    thanks for the link :)
  • Alexandra_S
    Alexandra_S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ahh i wish i could afford a personal trainer :( im a single mum to 3 children under the age of 7. so theres not much room in the budget for that.

If it's not an option now then google how to calculate your heart rate that will be ideal for fat burn. You'll need to play with your hrm for some time. Get more info on how to use that device for workouts and losing weight.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I lost pretty much all my weight walking. It was on a treadmill. Use a fast pace and put up the incline.

you lost all that weight!! wow. what an inspiration! my treadmill doesnt do incline, but my mums does. its a big fancy gym type machine that i have access to weekdays when shes at work and the kids are at school so i will go for the incline walks then! starting tommorrow x

Thanks mate. I did the same I bought a treadmill built for gyms. Real heavy duty. I hope you get the results your after. :)
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My mother has joint pain in her shoulders and arms so she could not do anything but walk. She lost a significant amount weight just walking an hour in the morning before work and an hour on the treadmill after work. It worked for her. I agree with the others as long as you are moving and watching what you eat you will lose the weight. Good luck to you!!!
  • KezJB
    KezJB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've two very active dogs, so I do lots of walking, at least an hour a day at a brisk pace. I run with them too, but lately, I've gotten a bit fed up of running and am enjoying long walks more.

When I'm taking them out for an hour+ a day (sometimes two hours, especially if BF is away and isn't doing one of their walks) I think it's absolutely enough. That and I have a horse to look after too!

Whilst it might not be massively intense I feel I have enough quantity to make up for that. I do, however, as mentioned also run and horse ride though. But walking is an asset and a nice exercise cal booster!
  • Tinker_Aria
    Options
    Hi !

Walking is a great exercice as long as you keep an eye on your heart beat. You can tone you booty and fight cellulite with walking at a good pace.

I walk a lot, about 6km/h and it's a good thing for my body. I burn a lot of calories and my posture is better now.

I try to walk at a pace that keep my heart beat to lose fat !

Shopping or just moving around your house isn't walking of course. You must do it as a real workout.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's enough if it gets your heart rate up to the zone you are seeking (I try to walk at 140 beats per minutes, but then again I'm obese and it's easier to get my heart rate up there with a simple walk). If you are just starting, it will be enough. One it fails to elevate your heart rate enough, you will need to either increase your speed or the difficulty of the terrain/ treadmill incline to achieve the same results. For me, a year in and walking is still enough, but then again I started at 2mph barely able to breathe, now I need to walk ar 3.8mph to get the same results. I have not had to switch to a more difficult elevation curve yet so I'm guessing it will still be enough for me for at least 6 more months.
  • mrsbarton
    mrsbarton Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love walking as well... what i do is walk at intervals.. i walk for a few mins then speed walk for a few mins.. my HRM says my heart rate should be at 65% to be in the fat burning zone.. so i walk fast enough to keep it at 65% then speed up for a few mins to get it higher! I do walking as my form of cardio.. pretty much everday and lift 3-4 times a week
  • LindseyLinea
    LindseyLinea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started walking for exercise too. I have tried a lot of other stuff and it has worked but I never stuck with it and ended up gaining the weight back. I had to find something I enjoyed and would stick with. Walking has done that for me so far. I really enjoy putting on some music and taking a walk. I usually walk around 2 miles at a fast pace, 3-4 times a week. And I have been trying to eat healthier too. So far so good. Only 2 pounds down but only seriously been doing it for over a week. I use an app called Endomondo... it tracks calories, duration, distance and a whole bunch of other stuff. And also links to myfitnesspal.