Why should you cut wheat from your diet? - Curious

Options
I have seen on here that some people cut wheat out from there diet. I was just wondering why and what benefit it has for you?

Thank you

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Some people suffer from Cilia or they have wheat allergies or are intolerante to it. If they eat wheat they get bloated, suffer with cramps and may have serious intestinal problems. Specially with Celia, which is an autoinmmune desease, they will also have nutritional problems due to mal absorption.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wheat or other whole grains are considered gluten and people who are on a gluten free diet are either a) allergic to gluten, b) trying to improve neurological conditions like ADHD or depression, c) trying to stay away from breads, cookies, or baked goods (helps shed some pounds), or d) want to feel better overall.

But remember that being on a gluten free diet means that you are basically trying to avoid most whole grains, the unprocessed kinds. Whole grains are very good for you, but moderation is key. Usually people with an intolerance to gluten consider these types of diets. They haven't been proven to be more or less healthy than a diet that entails whole grains.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a gluten allergy, or one of the previously mentioned issues, I wouldn't recommend it. I WOULD recommend cutting out processed grains (white breads, white pasta, etc etc) just because they aren't as healthy. If you cut gluten out of your diet, from people I've spoken to, your body forgets what to do with it, so if you ever decide to try eating it again, you will have digestive difficulties. SO unless it is medically necessary, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My son has Celiac and we had to remove gluten, which is in more than just wheat.....rye, barley, oats (kinda)......

Some people do it for other reasons and believe it helps some children with certain childhood diseases.

A lot of people try to cut out white flour and processed wheat items though; the others are healthier, I believe.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a gluten allergy, or one of the previously mentioned issues, I wouldn't recommend it. I WOULD recommend cutting out processed grains (white breads, white pasta, etc etc) just because they aren't as healthy. If you cut gluten out of your diet, from people I've spoken to, your body forgets what to do with it, so if you ever decide to try eating it again, you will have digestive difficulties. SO unless it is medically necessary, I wouldn't recommend it.

+1

Runners World has an article in their November issue about cutting gluten and they pretty much say just this. If you're not allergic or celiac, there really aren't any benefits. And if you switch with poor planing, you can end up with "an inadequate intake of complex carbs, vitamins and minerals." They also point out that a lot of the gluten-free pre-packages items are healthy, if you're not careful you "could end up eating a lot of refined carbs and added fats, leading to weight gain.

Carbs ~ especially those of the complex variety ~ are NOT all bad for you. Your body needs some to run! It's all about amounts and types.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have cut the wheat from my diet because I've found that it is a trigger for my IBS (irritiable bowel syndrome). I do not have Celiac's disease, I was tested but thankfully it was negative. But my Dr. agreed that I seem to have an intolerance to wheat and my tummy/ intestines have been MUCH happier since I cut it out. I still eat other healthy complex carbs like oatmeal, oat bran, brown rice, other grains like quinoa, and starchier veggies like baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, etc. You can still get plenty of carbs w/ that and fruit, veggies.

I cut out the processed junk a few years ago so the switch to wheat-free wasn't as dramatic for me. I already wasn't eating any white flour/ enriched products.
  • tinyliz
    tinyliz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wheat or other whole grains are considered gluten and people who are on a gluten free diet are either a) allergic to gluten, b) trying to improve neurological conditions like ADHD or depression, c) trying to stay away from breads, cookies, or baked goods (helps shed some pounds), or d) want to feel better overall.

But remember that being on a gluten free diet means that you are basically trying to avoid most whole grains, the unprocessed kinds. Whole grains are very good for you, but moderation is key. Usually people with an intolerance to gluten consider these types of diets. They haven't been proven to be more or less healthy than a diet that entails whole grains.

I have ADHD so should I try to be gluten free or wheat free. What can I supplement the wheat with? I eat whole wheat stuff such as whole wheat sugar free bread, wheat flour, and wheat germ. Is that a problem?
  • tinyliz
    Options
    I have cut the wheat from my diet because I've found that it is a trigger for my IBS (irritiable bowel syndrome). I do not have Celiac's disease, I was tested but thankfully it was negative. But my Dr. agreed that I seem to have an intolerance to wheat and my tummy/ intestines have been MUCH happier since I cut it out. I still eat other healthy complex carbs like oatmeal, oat bran, brown rice, other grains like quinoa, and starchier veggies like baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, etc. You can still get plenty of carbs w/ that and fruit, veggies.

I cut out the processed junk a few years ago so the switch to wheat-free wasn't as dramatic for me. I already wasn't eating any white flour/ enriched products.
  • tinyliz
    Options

I eat all of that stuff. So I really don't need whole wheat bread then? If I were making something with dough is whole wheat dough o.k.? I made it from scratch last nite so the kids can make a pizza tonite. I think I could rid my pantry of wheat if I had too, I don't have much of it any way. I just thought it would be a better alternative for my kids then the white stuff. If you were going to have toast with almond butter what would you put it on?
  • BelieveInYou
    BelieveInYou Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found I had a food sensitivity to wheat however, when I gave it up, all of the arthritis symptoms I was having in my feet and hips went away. I also lost the bloated and overall achy feeling I had all the time.
  • tinyliz
    Options
    Thank you, that is good to know. I would hate to try something drastic like that and then end up messing up my digestive system again. Don't think I will go gluten free, I don't have any allergies that were listed.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I agree. I just read an article about people cutting it out for weight loss and what a bad idea that is.

If you're sensitive to it or allergic, obviously cut it out. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, whole grains and other complex carbs have been shown to reduce visceral fat.
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I found I had a food sensitivity to wheat however, when I gave it up, all of the arthritis symptoms I was having in my feet and hips went away. I also lost the bloated and overall achy feeling I had all the time.

I second this, I have arthritis in pretty much all my joints and since cutting out gluten (and alcohol) a couple of years ago the pain is not as severe. I also have IBS which flares up when I have any wheat/gluten based product.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you ARE going to try cutting it out, it's best to do so under the guidance of a licensed dietician or nutritionist so that you don't end up messing up your body with poor nutrition.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    We, as humans don't need grains...............there is nothing in grains that we can't get from protein, vegetables and minimal fruit if you are eating a whole foods eating plan............

Some reading pleasure.............

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    We, as humans don't need grains...............there is nothing in grains that we can't get from protein, vegetables and minimal fruit if you are eating a whole foods eating plan............

Some reading pleasure.............

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

I love your signature. It is the way I feel.:laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I eat all of that stuff. So I really don't need whole wheat bread then? If I were making something with dough is whole wheat dough o.k.? I made it from scratch last nite so the kids can make a pizza tonite. I think I could rid my pantry of wheat if I had too, I don't have much of it any way. I just thought it would be a better alternative for my kids then the white stuff. If you were going to have toast with almond butter what would you put it on?

My personal opinion is that you don't *need* wheat. But yes, my kids eat whole wheat products and I cook whole wheat pasta for them and buy 100% whole grain bread. It is a much better alternative than the white *crack* as I call white flour/ sugar. I don't eat toast anymore, but I haven't eaten wheat bread in years anyway. I know some people like rice cakes w/ almond butter. I prefer natural crunchy peanut butter and add it to my morning oatmeal or plain yogurt. Yum yum!