Exercise/dieting isn't working - I'm I doing it right?

Options
mckenzie
mckenzie Posts: 21 Member
Hello All,

2 weeks ago exactly I embarked on the mission to drop some weight and tone up my body. I haven’t seriously worked out since high school so I thought a nice structured way to ease into things would be to complete JM 30 DS. After a week of following the program I decided to start tracking my calorie intake on MFP. Though I have tried to cut out things like chips and desserts, I have found that my normal calorie intake seemed to hover around 1200 without restricting my regular diet. I get full very quickly and am generally a very picky eater, so I tend to avoid a lot of foods out of preference rather than restriction. I don't weigh my food, but if that is something you would think would be beneficial in my scenario, I can certainly start. Considering I had added in the DS workouts to my lightly active daily routine, I was expecting to see some, or at least minimal, results. 2 weeks in, I have not lost a single pound or any inches from my original measurements. This has lead me to believe that I am doing something wrong.

A little about myself. I am a 24 year old female. I am 5’9” and about 150 lbs. I have done a lot of research on other MFP forums which have led me to various links with different calculators which gave the following results:

BMI – 22.1
BMR – 1479-1520 cal
Body Fat % - 24.5%
Lean Body Mass – 113.3 lbs

I have also read the discussions evolving around the topic “Eat more, Exercise Less”. I find it incredibly hard to believe that if I starting eating more than I ever have before in my life that the pounds will start falling off, even paired with the 30 DS.

I would like to drop at least 10 lbs, ideally 20. I have an hourglass figure, but I carry some weight in my lower belly and in my thighs that make me very self-conscious. I don’t want to have to “suck it in” to wear a swimsuit, so I was hoping to lose it by summertime.

Any advice you have would be beyond appreciated and followed. I am very discouraged, and starting to think that I am just stuck this way. I know 2 weeks isn’t a very long time, but if I’m doing it wrong now, I’d rather nip it in the bud so I can start making some real progress.

Thank you for your time and help!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isn't long enough to see results.

If your bmi is 22 ish, then losing more will be verrrrrrrry slow.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    With the relatively small amount of weight you need to drop two weeks is not nearly enough time to see any changes. As for the 1200 cal day, I am about the same height and weight (5'9" 154) and I eat 1500 cal a day - lost 11 pounds so far.
  • RhysJ13
    RhysJ13 Posts: 72
    Options
    It's only been 2 weeks.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 1200 that is likely a big factor in it. Try to aim for 1500 and see if it makes a difference. Add it in with healthy fats and proteins like maybe some nuts or an afternoon snack.

Could also be the TYPE of food you are eating. For instance 400 calories of grains will affect you differently than 400 calories of protein and vitamins/minerals from veggies and fruits.

If nothing works you could always try this to get your metabolism pumped up a little:
    https://www.advocare.com/140414582/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=T1141&id=A

No to this. You do not need advocare or anyone selling you anything to lose weight. NO. Just NO. It will NOT pump up your metabolism and anyone trying to tell you that it will is trying to sell you something.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

You don't have a lot of weight to lose, you should set your goal to lose 0.5 lbs a week. We all want to lose 2 lbs a week, but with 20 or less to lose, you should be eating closer to maintenance. So yes, eat more.

Do you own a food scale? If so, are you weighing what you are eating? If you aren't you probably are eating more than you think.
    What are your workouts? Only 30 DS or are you also doing strength training?

ETA: Also, it's only been 2 weeks. It does take more time. But I'll bet your goals are too aggressive for the amount that you have to lose.
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you weigh your food. Are you measuring your food or just guessing? You may be eating more calories than you think you are. If that doesn't help, see your Dr.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to how you figured out your body fat % by reading online? Did you eat chips and sweets everyday before? That is easily an extra 300-400 calories. So if you are not weighing your food now and you were eating calorie dense food like chips and sweets you probably were eating around 2000 calories a day before. The little things add up.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    Definitely start weighing - people don't tend to realise they eat larger portions than the recommended portion size. If it's not that, you should consider eating more calories. You haven't got much weight to lose, and if you're active too 1200 is not enough ideally. You should change your weight loss goal to no more than 1lbs per week, ideally 0.5lbs.

I also recommend upping protein consumption too - I've found since I've upped mine by eating more lean meat and nuts and started eating more fruits, vegetables and less high carbohydrate sources (e.g cutting down on bread, pasta etc) I have been losing much faster, in fact faster than MFP predicts.

I too had under 20lbs to lose, and I'm 13 there. In fact, I weighed exactly the same as you to start, except I'm shorter - 5'7.5". It's a slow process (I started in January) but you would be surprised how much happier and confident you start to feel even when you're a few pounds down.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you weigh your food. Are you measuring your food or just guessing? You may be eating more calories than you think you are. If that doesn't help, see your Dr.

This, and, if you aren't measuring and weighing your food, how do you know if your intake is naturally around 1200 cal? I think it would be helpful to actually know this for sure before thinking your diet and exercise isn't working. Start with that, if you prove yourself right, then take the next step.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. I got one on Amazon for about $12. It should be easier for you, as a picky eater, to measure and log accurately. Don't forget drinks, condiments, etc. The little things there do add up.

Eat at least at your BMR. Eat 1500 calories a day. 1200 is not enough. You're too young and tall. It isn't necessarily a matter of "those who aren't losing should eat more" because that's not true, but it is true that you should eat at least your BMR.

Be patient. Change does not occur overnight, or over a fortnight.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isn't long enough to see results.

If your bmi is 22 ish, then losing more will be verrrrrrrry slow.

Pretty much this, weighing food also helps ensure you're not over/under estimating calorie intake
    Give it time :flowerforyou:
  • mckenzie
    Options
    I did eat some junk food before (and still some now) but it was more or less in place of meals - for example i would eat chips for dinner or a brownie for breakfast... not really in addition to meals. But I agree, there is no real telling how much I was eating previously because I wasn't keeping track. All I know is that since deciding to keep track, I have found it very very easy to stay at or under 1200 calories a day without ever feeling deprived/hungry. I figured out the body fat % using this website:

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bf/

I know its not perfectly accurate, but I figured its a starting point. I could post a picture of myself if anyone thinks that could help determine a better percentage.

I do have a food scale (for cooking purposes) but starting tomorrow I'll try weighing out my food and see if that makes any difference. A lot of what I eat is pre-packaged (fiber bars, protein shakes, etc) so I though it was semi-accurate. But fruits, veggies, meats I'm sure it would be beneficial. I have only been following the 30 DS work outs, with the included strength circuits. I am open to other exercise plans though if there is something better for losing this small amount of weight. I hate, hate, hate running, but if that's the only way I'm open to it...
  • mckenzie
    Options
    And thank you everyone for the advice!!! :smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    www.stronglifts.com
    Or there's a book New Rules of Lifting for Women. You will not bulk up, it'll help you lose weight and get the definition you're probably looking for.

Are you eating your exercise calories back? Are you NETTING 1200 or eating 1200, burning (for example) 300 which would leave you netting 900. If this is what you are doing, you need to eat more food.

I'd highly suggest finding out what your BMR is and your TDEE-10% and go from there.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Also, nothing wrong with eating a brownie or chips or whatever.

Sunday I had 2 cupcakes, Monday I had 2 cupcakes, I'm lifting (I do Stronglifts program) I've lost weight this week.

There's also a stronglifts for women's group on here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

It has some videos, awesome women, videos on form, etc.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 1200 that is likely a big factor in it. Try to aim for 1500 and see if it makes a difference.

^^^^ this is rediculous. I'd stick with the 1200 if you feel fine with it. If you're hungry, go up to 1350, but meticulously track (and weigh with a food scale) for accuracy. There's no reason to go up to 1500, and likewise no rational reason to be wary about 1200 despite MFP and the mythical warnings about "starvation mode".
    Could also be the TYPE of food you are eating. For instance 400 calories of grains will affect you differently than 400 calories of protein and vitamins/minerals from veggies and fruits.

^^^^ this makes more sense. The makeup of the macros combined with vitamins and minerals has a greater impact. Proteins are harder to break down. I can lose weight far easier on Chicken McNuggets (despite the sodium levels) and salads then I can on bread and pasta.

Drink plenty of water. For your size, shoot for 8 or more glasses a day.

Exercise - both cardio and if you can, strength training. The latter is more beneficial for health, and you can be ultra skinny and weigh more. If weight is all you care about, by all means, rack up the cardio only.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I did eat some junk food before (and still some now) but it was more or less in place of meals - for example i would eat chips for dinner or a brownie for breakfast... not really in addition to meals. But I agree, there is no real telling how much I was eating previously because I wasn't keeping track. All I know is that since deciding to keep track, I have found it very very easy to stay at or under 1200 calories a day without ever feeling deprived/hungry. I figured out the body fat % using this website:

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bf/

A lot of what I eat is pre-packaged (fiber bars, protein shakes, etc) so I though it was semi-accurate. But fruits, veggies, meats I'm sure it would be beneficial.

There's nothing wrong with protein supplements, but they should be on top on a healthy diet to help you meet protein goals, not used as meals.

You're missing all the other nutrients in those foods your body needs as well as the protein.
  • mckenzie
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I plan on weighing all my food from now on to keep better track of what I'm eating. You could be right and I might be way under estimating... I'm willing to do anything that could help! Typically my net calorie intake is 1000-1100 factoring those burnt by exercise.
    Exercise - both cardio and if you can, strength training. The latter is more beneficial for health, and you can be ultra skinny and weigh more. If weight is all you care about, by all means, rack up the cardio only.

Good point - my goal is not to achieve the lowest possibly number on the scale - ultra skinny with more muscle mass would be fine with me! I'll check out the stronglifts and the book you mentioned, graceisjinxed!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I plan on weighing all my food from now on to keep better track of what I'm eating. You could be right and I might be way under estimating... I'm willing to do anything that could help! Typically my net calorie intake is 1000-1100 factoring those burnt by exercise.

Good point - my goal is not to achieve the lowest possibly number on the scale - ultra skinny with more muscle mass would be fine with me! I'll check out the stronglifts and the book you mentioned, graceisjinxed!

Awesome. You definitely should at least NET 1200, your organs will thank you, and it's possible that you have been eating that and then some.

Moderation not deprivation.