Not Losing ANY Weight :(

Options
I have been eating clean since January, exercising consistently (at least 5x a week) for over a month and been a member on here for 23 days now. Only since those 23 days have started counting calories and logging exercise. I try to do at least 5x a week of cardio and weights 6x a week. I work hard during my workouts and I try to eat as well as I can. I also strictly drink only water. So WHY am I gaining weight and inches?

My weight is considered normal for my height and age, but nearing overweight. I started in January at 138 and would fluctuate between that and 145 without exercise. As soon as I started exercising, for the first few weeks I stayed pretty consistently around 135-136. All of a sudden a week ago I was back up to 138 and now the scale has stuck at 139. I'm weighing myself at the same time of day at the same day of the week each week and its disheartening.

Is there anything I can do to get out of this hole??

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have been eating clean since January, exercising consistently (at least 5x a week) for over a month and been a member on here for 23 days now. Only since those 23 days have started counting calories and logging exercise. I try to do at least 5x a week of cardio and weights 6x a week. I work hard during my workouts and I try to eat as well as I can. I also strictly drink only water. So WHY am I gaining weight and inches?

My weight is considered normal for my height and age, but nearing overweight. I started in January at 138 and would fluctuate between that and 145 without exercise. As soon as I started exercising, for the first few weeks I stayed pretty consistently around 135-136. All of a sudden a week ago I was back up to 138 and now the scale has stuck at 139. I'm weighing myself at the same time of day at the same day of the week each week and its disheartening.

Is there anything I can do to get out of this hole??

No hole, just water. If you only recently started lifting weights almost guaranteed that your muscles are now retaining a significant amount of water. Ever feel sore the day after a workout?
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Bump to see replies. I two am in the same boat. I know I have weight to lose. I'm about 30 lbs over weight. I've lost 2 lbs in 22 days. :sad:
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you are in the normal weight range, then losing more weight will most likely be very slow. Also, you are most likely retaining water (as someone else stated earlier).
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump to see replies. I two am in the same boat. I know I have weight to lose. I'm about 30 lbs over weight. I've lost 2 lbs in 22 days. :sad:

You probably are eating more than you think. Probably eating the wrong foods. If your serious about dropping weight. You need to make sure your reducing your salt (no soda, no juice). Water-coffee-tea only.

Reduce your carbs. Less bread, less sugar. More fiber, more protein, more fats. Things like chicken, steak, nuts, cheese, spinich, and all green veggies. Beware of sugary veggies and high carb veggies. To many carbs can cause weight gain even if your below your kcal count. I would try to keep your carbs down below 100g a day.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Is your diary right for your water intake? If so you really need to drink more.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    A few things first you've been at this for 23 days, you don't have a lot to lose so have patience, next weight fluctuates all the time, time of the month, too much sodium, etc. You are bouncing between a 4 lb range which is completely normal.

Now the other issue looking at your diary, you use a lot of quick add calories, especially since you don't have a lot to lose you really need to be extremely accurate with your logging and you're not.

Weigh your food, log the actual food you eat, stay away from generic entries, recipes that were entered by other members.

HAVE PATIENCE!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

You probably are eating more than you think. Probably eating the wrong foods. If your serious about dropping weight. You need to make sure your reducing your salt (no soda, no juice). Water-coffee-tea only.

Reduce your carbs. Less bread, less sugar. More fiber, more protein, more fats. Things like chicken, steak, nuts, cheese, spinich, and all green veggies. Beware of sugary veggies and high carb veggies. To many carbs can cause weight gain even if your below your kcal count. I would try to keep your carbs down below 100g a day.

Yes to the eating more than you think...... NO to all the BS after. There are no wrong foods, CALORIE DEFICIT works.
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Is your diary right for your water intake? If so you really need to drink more.

No, I often forget to log my water, but I drink constantly throughout the day.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

That's pretty good actually although that said you can't really get a very accurate measure over such a short period of time so hard to say if its true.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Reducing salt and reducing carbs will make you drop water weight and do absolutely nothing for your health or fitness. I assume the OP wants to lose fat not just see the number on the scale go down.

Sodium increases water retention, carbs increase water retention. The reason people get so excited about reducing sodium and carbs in their diets is when they did it suddenly and literally overnight in many cases they lost a lot of weight, yah. So what though its to be expected, its water weight you lost...does nothing for your health at all.
  • kellyj0729
    kellyj0729 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? I had the same problem last year, I was exercising 6x week but not losing weight. Trainer at the gym kept telling me that to ignore the scale and go by how my clothes fit, I was gaining muscle, etc. I GET that, but I was overweight and wanted the scale to go down! I got frustrated and quit, then gained back what I lost plus some over the holidays. You and I are about the same size (I am 5'3" and began in February at 140 lbs) and it wasn't until I began logging consistently and honestly ALL of my calories that I began to lose weight. I am currently 121.5 lbs and feel the best I have and am the lightest I have been since my 20's and had my first of 4 babies. Good luck to you! I sent you a friend request.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have had two periods of no weight loss for two weeks in the seven months I have been doing this.
    I even gained - for what appeared no reason two weeks ago.
    Serious reflection indicated that I ate more highly refined carbohydrate around the day of my birthday. Whilst I hadn't grossly over ate it must have been enough to upset me.
    Some things aren't clearly seen.
    If you have little weight to lose I would suggest you eat at somewhere between your BMR and TDEE and just wait patiently for the last few pounds to shift. Mainly because if you want it to stay off it has to be sustainable - do you get what I'm saying?
    Stick to the exercise you intend to maintain with as you want the loss to be sustainable.
    Weigh all your food and make sure you are logging correctly - you probably are.
    Women will gain over a kilo (2lbs or so) in their menstrual cycle, usually the week before they bleed.
    Weigh yourself a week after this and that often shows your lowest weight.
    I am post menopausal and don't have that cycle of gain anymore but used to when I was younger.
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?

I net anywhere from 1200-1400 a day.

My BMR is 1456.