What are you doing about clothes?

Options
So warmer weather has arrived and I haven't any/many clothes that fit. I think I was still in maternity clothes last summer...

Anyway, what do you all do about clothes? I feel like buying clothes in a size that I hope to be leaving behind ASAP is going to be a demotivator for me, but I also don't want to be wearing winter clothes all summer long.

Also, my long-term goal involves dropping ~75 lbs and at least 4 sizes. How do I deal with losing weight in general? I don't want to go through 4 different wardrobes over the 1-2 years that it will take to get to a healthy weight. I HATE shopping -- that is not a motivator for me.

Ideas please?

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I bought a "new" pair of pants at Goodwill. You can also wear a belt but that only goes so far. If I were you, I'd stick to thrift stores until you hit the weight you want to be at.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them as soon as you drop a size. Donate them to goodwill, give them to people you know, just get rid of them. The last thing you want is any "fat clothes" you kept in case you started gaining back what you lost. I know its hard giving away hundreds of dollars of your favorite and perfectly good clothes. Just get over it.

Buy some new clothes. Don't spend a lot or buy more than you need, since you want to drop another size or so. Drop a couple sizes and you'll also be buying new underwear, etc... Other than shoes, socks, and hats, you may end up having to replace everything from your old wardrobe.

Once you do eventually replace everything with your new target size, it can definitely get expensive, but it's worth it and it'll give you all the incentive you need to maintain your weight and stay in shape.

With all of the people out there rapidly gaining weight, you might be able to get some nice things people you know have outgrown and maybe even swap your bigger sizes for their smaller ones.
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you have some really nice pieces that you cannot stand to get rid of, take them to a tailor and see if they can be taken in. A lot of time it can be done fairly inexpensively, and you end up with a custom fit.

Otherwise, donate the stuff you have shrunk out of, and shop at Goodwill or thrift stores for a few basic pieces (generally pants and skirts) and update with seasonal tops from someplace like Kohls, Target or someplace similar - that way you can feel updated and fresh, show off the shrinking you and keep a budget!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of dresses that have ties on them, so I am looking forward to cinching those bad boys up when they are a little too big :) right now I can't really imagine being 'too small' for my jeans (I am still way too big for them, and wearing maternity jeans).

I pretty much exclusively shop in the Kohl's clearance section too, so I don't mind going there every month or so to pick out something for $10-20 that fits okay. I never go crazy buying whole wardrobes, I buy things here and there, and I imagine shopping WILL be more fun when I'm skinny enough to fit in regular clothes!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    wearing them
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So warmer weather has arrived and I haven't any/many clothes that fit. I think I was still in maternity clothes last summer...

Anyway, what do you all do about clothes? I feel like buying clothes in a size that I hope to be leaving behind ASAP is going to be a demotivator for me, but I also don't want to be wearing winter clothes all summer long.

Also, my long-term goal involves dropping ~75 lbs and at least 4 sizes. How do I deal with losing weight in general? I don't want to go through 4 different wardrobes over the 1-2 years that it will take to get to a healthy weight. I HATE shopping -- that is not a motivator for me.

Ideas please?

many threads on this topic.

best ideas i've seen

temp clothes.

clearance racks
    goodwill
    belts
    etc.
  • Emmyre43
    Emmyre43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like the Goodwill Store. And/or you can have them hemmed/taken in...
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Savers, good will, thrift stores and my friends closets. :) So far this is what I have done. Also I have donated everything that is too big. I don't want it around and I don't want to wear it if its too big. Doesn't fit right and makes you look bigger than you are.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Salvation Army.... Pretty much my entire wardrobe is from there.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I bought all my clothes at Ross while I was still losing weight.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have just been buying a few things for each size. Like when I needed a size 9 I n jeans I instead of a 15 (I looked ridiculous in those baggy pants) I just bought 2 pairs at a Ross for cheap. Just do a little at a time to get buy until you're done losing.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    My goal is to continue wearing clothing.
  • cherchenette9555
    Options
    Find out when your Goodwill has its one dollar per item in the store, day. Most GW have a color of the week. Here in S.C. on Thursdays all of say "BLUE" was the color of the week, goes on sale for a buck!! Get there first thing that am. I only buy what appears to be new,or new with tags. I have a phenomenal wardrobe. From designer jeans, tank tops, linen tops ,silk blouses jean jacket, leather jacket, wool coats, suede jacket, shorts, capri's…. you have to look, throw anything and everything you think you might like or might fit that day, and go try the stuff on!! Sometimes in the dressing room, I have found I have the complete outfit that way. Now GW has become somewhat of a hobby for me. I travel quite a bit, and I stop at all the ones I can find in upscale areas. Heck, a few weeks ago, I got a brand new with tags still on, a 4x12 hand made, all wool ,gorgeous rug!! Get your Mom or a great friend to babysit for 2-3 hours. I guarantee you will walk out of there a happy camper!!
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    I keep an eye on things on ebay, have bought a couple of pairs of new jeans fairly cheaply. I don't want to buy a lot of clothes as I am still losing weight, but I also don't want to do laundry more than once a week.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Also look at TJ Max, Ross, Beals, and other discount clothing stores for new clothing.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've dropped from men's size 40 to men's size 32 in the past year. I am now wearing clothes that my 18-year old son has grown out of, so I don't have to buy new stuff. And it's still a bit big, especially cause he's taller than I am.

So if I am wearing clothes from my son, are those considered hand me downs or hand me ups?
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly pretty lazy (and pretty poor, lol) and I've always worn clothes that were too big for me. Like...WAY too big for me. My fiance wears a 3x, and I wear his clothes all the time.

I dunno, to be completely honest I'd rather just run around the world naked.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I just bought what I needed through a combo of walmart / goodwill and consignment shops, a lot of clearance buys - for a while I didn't buy anything unless it had a big red sticker on it - Kohl's and old navy when they have the 30% off coupons (in Kohl's case, coupled with the clearance so ended up being dirt cheap)

I ended up dropping about 10 sizes from a woman's pants size 28/4X settling down to a 6/medium so I went through a lot of clothes and sizes. I am still settling, but most of the clothes I have now will work for whatever my final size ends up being.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I like the Goodwill Store. And/or you can have them hemmed/taken in...

This is what I did until I got to maintenance. As I lost weight, I got rid of all the clothes that were too big. I felt keeping them would be psychologically giving me permission to gain the weight back.
  • squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just bought my very first sewing machine, so that I can take in my clothes myself.