Ladies - that time of the month snacking?

Options
So I'm noticing a trend - whenever it's my time of month, I start craving chocolate and nuts and hot fatty pastry really badly, and not only that, I'm also very hungry in general. I'm assuming it's just hormones etc, but it is VERY hard to ignore the call of the cupboard.

Anyone else who gets like this or just has any ideas, what can I make/do to get over the constant need for food, especially fatty foods? I need ideas before I eat my entire fridge haha.

Replies

• Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    You'll be pleased to know you're perfectly normal!! I usually have a teaspoon of honey to get rid of sweet cravings - although last month I wasn't that good at it! Nuts are good for you too xxx
  • megaloox
    Options
    One recipe I like for sweet cravings is a mini chocolate pudding pie. You can pick up mini graham cracker crusts and sugar free fat free instant chocolate pudding and make a delightful treat for only 145 calories. This usually helps me keep my insane cravings for chocolate under control ;)
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I found ISO FLEX Whey protein powder. 27g. protein in a single scoop, 118 calories and only 1g carbs. The one I have is peanutbutter chocolate flavored. One scoop with non fat milk and ice is under 200 calories, will keep you full for a couple hours and will get rid of that sweet tooth!
  • LoveBug1228
    Options
    Skinny cow carmel truffel bars are my best friend. Only 100 calories and they satisfy the sweetest cravings. I love them!
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Wow, they all sound like great ideas. I've been hearing so much lately about Skinny Cow from Australian magazines and American blogs LoveBug, and it sounds amazing, but sadly we don't have them here in New Zealand :( I've just sent an email to them imploring them to bring their products to NZ anyway haha.

Beebee I love the honey thing too! but it's not enough for me at the moment sadly. I'll have a look for a sweet chocolatey protein powder, and for non-fat instant desserts from now on, that should make it easier. And I hear there's a weightwatchers hot chocolate drink too - mmmm I think I might go to the shops now!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love honey crisp apples with almond butter, reduced fat triscuts with laughing cow lite cheese - it is so creamy & wonderful AND for a decadent, almost cheesecake type "dessert" try Zoi honey yogurt (doesn't taste necessarily like honey) w/ a bit of granola & fresh fruit. Honestly, these 3 things hit all my cravings, depending on what they may be and they are all reasonable w/ calorie count!
  • mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    i definitely understand, I thought I was the only one going thru this. I all of a sudden want chocolate, & peanut butter around that time. But what I do is use those as cheat days, and make up for it in water intake, & exercise. I also try to incorporate it into my meal in the form of a Chocolate Meal Replacement.
  • choshii
    choshii Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling, I actually found a new love for yoplait's whipped yogurt (the chocolate mousse). Takes my chocolate cravings away pretty nicely (I believe there's a light version out there, but I haven't tried that one). Don't forget to workout, even when you're feeling..."hormonal" ;).
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean- i think that few days of the month kind of sabotage the entire rest of the month i worked hard for :(
    And it is very very hard to control that craving. I'm also very m uch hungry - and crave all the bad stuff. sweet, fatty, and - a lot of it, not just a piece. i need much more.. grrr

i found that my chocolate cravings are very much satisfied with the jell-o pudding refrigerated cups- they are very rich and some of them are sugar free - or fat free- only 60 kcl per cup and really smooth- l ove it.
    A trick i learned on ww - meeting- when you need " more " - this is some stuff we can add into " guilty " stuff to make it more without adding more

chocolate pudding- add some fat free cool whip to " increase the amount " - without adding much calories to it.
    If you like cold /sweet stuff- add more ice to it , more fat free milk , more fruits - and you get " big smoothies " without to many kcl
    and when i need a " big burger " i go with turkey/salmon or veggie burger- sendwich thins buns * 100 kcl and 5 gm fiber i belive.. and to make it " big i keep adding all the good stuff- lettuce, pickles, onions, tomatoes, etc- so it's a " huge " thing to enjoy- but the kcls are not " huge "

there are tricks we can do to help ourselves :)

keep the tips coming- we need them - every month :) new ideas appreciated
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    It's possibly not as enticing as other options, but I've read that bananas are great for snacking when you get the time-of-month cravings, and PMS. Something about the vitamins and nutrients in them helping to improve your mood and controlling your blood sugar levels.

Just googled it - B6 helps your mood, potassium helps prevent fluid retention and weight gain, and being low GI it can helpreduce sugar cravings because you don't 'spike'.
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the AWESOME ideas - just decided dessert tonight will be a banana dipped in choc yoghurt - yum!
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    Semisweet chocolate chips melted in a little barely simmering heavy whipping cream. Dip the banana, strawberries or graham crackers in the chocolate. Little bit of chocolate goes a long way.

If your like me and all control goes out the window for a few days just relax and add a little stretching routine and some walking to counter balance the calories and help with the cramps.

Scroll through these free exercise videos and you'll find some great stretching routines.

http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/all/?videotype=free-full-length
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    1 Tbsp of nutella spread on 2 rice cakes helps to satisfy chocolat cravings and is only 158 calories x
  • cami78
    cami78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    1 Tbsp of nutella spread on 2 rice cakes helps to satisfy chocolat cravings and is only 158 calories x

That depends on how much Nutella you spread on the cakes. I usually overload them... thanks god it's only once a month thing lol
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/01/one-ingredient-ice-cream.html
    Frozen banana as ice cream! Put a little bit of chocolate or peanut butter in it and it should satisfy the sweet tooth :smile:
  • SymphonicSilence
    Options
    That depends on how much Nutella you spread on the cakes. I usually overload them... thanks god it's only once a month thing lol

Lmao!! Yup, same here.
    I make sure I don't have Nutella in the apartment now!!

I suffer the same cravings - chocolate, cookies and potato chips, OMG it's like I'm a woman possessed!
    I just allow myself to eat a little of what I'm craving and make up for it the next day.

I like having a small banana dipped in toffee yogurt or a sliced banana on a slice of high-fibre wholegrain bread with 2 tsps of peanut butter or a couple of squares of 80% cocoa chocolate.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    LETTING your self have a bit of what you are craving works. Just a little bit. For instance, if i try to trick my cravings with healthier options, I end up eating the thing I really want in the end anyways.

the thing is.... the hormonal cravings are a result of your whole month. If you watched what you ate all month, minimized caffeine and dairy (other than yogurt, kefir) then the cravings tend to be a lot less intense
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm scared to bring Nutella in my house.. 1 tbsp ? impossible, that thing just keeps calling you .. " hereeee , hereee i'm .. just open me.. " tccc..
    And since Costco has them now- first of co urse i was super happy that costco got them -so much cheaper than in the stores, but ofcou rse that has back fired on me.. now i have to walk by it.. .. It's easier fighting it 1minuted at the store, than fighting it every day in the house..
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    This is why i like to have snacks that are easily sized, like a square of good chocolate or prepackaged snacksized things or whatever.

Anyways at some point you will have to learn how to resist temptation so..... :)
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    Thanks for all the AWESOME ideas - just decided dessert tonight will be a banana dipped in choc yoghurt - yum!

Yum - that sounds so good :)