Video shows that a calorie is not just a calorie?

I love the show "Supersize vs Superskinny". A "superskinny" and a "supersize" switch diets for a week to address their issues with food, then are sent home with a reasonable eating plan to follow. All of the episodes are on Youtube. Here is one episode that has me scratching my head a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkgGFOPqRTQ&list=PLmHMiaFswnZkQiinXxvGBTO-tX6ZUyk5b

The superskinny is a man who is about 3 stone underweight. In the show, his weekly food intake is dumped into a tube and it summarizes by saying that the average man should eat about 2500 calories a day, and Colin is taking in 2600 calories a day....then it goes on to say that since most of his calories come from chocolate, it's no wonder he's underweight (huh?!)

Skip ahead to 8:50 if you want to see just that part.

So what you're saying is that I can be superskinny too by just eating chocolate because those calories don't count? Sounds like a plan! *sarcasm*

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Trust me if chocolate calories didn't count...there wouldn't be very many women who would be over weight...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I think a calorie is a calorie is true up to the point of serious malnutrition to the point of medical conditions. I'm just guessing but if the guys diet was literally just chocolate is it perhaps possible that he was so malnourished from lack of nutrients that his gut lining was not doing its job of absorption very well? Calories only "count" if you manage to digest properly and I imagine you eat that skewed and eventually you are going to affect your gut flora or other parts of your digestive system.

Totally pulling that out of my butt by the way so feel free to say that's wrong but just to throw out some sort of explanation.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    PERFECT video HERE: http://youtu.be/Wd8tZiHexPc

You welcome.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    and here we go again …

in….for the snowflakes..

best_animated_images_car_jump_in_zps84fcc3e5.gif?t=1398212597
  • ChickenmommaMich
    ChickenmommaMich Posts: 60 Member

You welcome.

I don't understand what that has to do with my post.... I'm confused as to how a guy eating more than he "should" is severely underweight. The program explains that it's because he eats mostly chocolate.

How does IIFYM explain him being underweight?
  • Aaron_K123
    Alternative explanation is that it is a TV show and is not exactly up to a scientific standard.
  • ChickenmommaMich

You welcome.

I don't understand what that has to do with my post.... I'm confused as to how a guy eating more than he "should" is severely underweight. The program explains that it's because he eats mostly chocolate.

I ask you again, who here says that eat almost all their calories in chocolate?

It's in the video link I posted. Take a peek. Just go to 8:50 (about) and see the guy I'm talking about.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    and here we go again …

in….for the snowflakes..

best_animated_images_car_jump_in_zps84fcc3e5.gif?t=1398212597

OH GOD I LOVE THAT GIF
  • Aaron_K123

You welcome.

It was a tv show "superskinny vs superfat", a show I've watched before myself. One of the shows featured a guy who, according to the OP, ate nothing but chocolate and although he was eating 2500 calories a day on average was rail thin to the point of being unhealthy. OP is looking for an explanation. Personally I think your body does require a certain amount of iron and other micronutrients to digest food properly and that could be an explanation or, alternatively, its a TV show so who knows.
  • ChickenmommaMich

You welcome.

It was a tv show "superskinny vs superfat", a show I've watched before myself. One of the shows featured a guy who, according to the OP, ate nothing but chocolate and although he was eating 2500 calories a day on average was rail thin to the point of being unhealthy. OP is looking for an explanation. Personally I think your body does require a certain amount of iron and other micronutrients to digest food properly and that could be an explanation or, alternatively, its a TV show so who knows.

Yes, you get what I'm looking for. And your first explanation is an interesting one. Could be possible. And yes, it's reality TV so who knows? Haha
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

You welcome.

It's in the video link I posted. Take a peek. Just go to 8:50 (about) and see the guy I'm talking about.

I really hate following links and watching videos. Can anyone post the Coles notes version?
  • Aaron_K123
    Another pulled out of my backside explanation.

Your body requires certain molecules as nutrients because it cannot produce them on its own, other molecules your body can produce on its own anabolically but at the expense of energy and will not bother if those molecules are present in your diet.

So second hypothesis. The guys diet was so severely limited that his body required molecules he was not providing it so his body had to employ alternative metabolic pathways in order to synthesize those molecules itself using what little was provided in terms of food. That metabolic cost meant that his caloric burn was actually elevated compared to normal simply because his body was having to synthesize a lot of its own required molecules de novo rather than uptake from a normal diet.

Again, out of my butt.
  • Aaron_K123

You welcome.

I really hate following links and watching videos. Can anyone post the Coles notes version?

Dude eats nothing but chocolate, dude eats a lot of it though so dude takes in more calorically than his body should require (2500 calories), dude is super skinny to the point of being at health risk. Why is dude so skinny if dude eats more calories than he should require for maintenance?
  • ChickenmommaMich
    Another pulled out of my backside explanation.

Your body requires certain molecules as nutrients because it cannot produce them on its own, other molecules your body can produce on its own anabolically but at the expense of energy and will not bother if those molecules are present in your diet.

So second hypothesis. The guys diet was so severely limited that his body required molecules he was not providing it so his body had to employ alternative metabolic pathways in order to synthesize those molecules itself using what little was provided in terms of food. That metabolic cost meant that his caloric burn was actually elevated compared to normal simply because his body was having to synthesize a lot of its own required molecules de novo rather than uptake from a normal diet.

Again, out of my butt.

That kind of goes along with the only explanation I could come with; he must burn a lot of calories daily to be that thin on 2600 average calories a day. They haven't gone into what he does for a job or how he spends most of his time, so it's all guess work. Thanks for playing along!

I'm not looking for "special snowflakes" or anything along those lines, just looking to discuss something that seems to go completely against what most of the MFP community believes.

Although, this Colin fellow very well may be a special snowflake...
  • ndj1979

You welcome.

what does IIFYM have to do with this?

I assume he is under weight because he is eating way under maintenance...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    tumblr_lnks9gkykk1qiw26m.gif
  • PikaKnight

You welcome.

Because obviously someone doesn't understand what IIFYM actually is.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    tumblr_mefuoovcqw1ra58n6.gif
  • ChickenmommaMich

You welcome.

I understand IIFYM. You can eat what you like as long as you meet your macros (protein, carb and fat) goals. This guys clearly is not meeting his macros goals. I would assume with all the chocolate he consumes, he'd be way over in carbs and fat and extremely low in protein. How does not meeting your macros goals explain how he's underweight despite eating 2600 calories daily?
  • PikaKnight

You welcome.

I understand IIFYM. You can eat what you like as long as you meet your macros (protein, carb and fat) goals. This guys clearly is not meeting his macros goals. I would assume with all the chocolate he consumes, he'd be way over in carbs and fat and extremely low in protein. How does not meeting your macros goals explain how he's underweight despite eating 2600 calories daily?

IIFYM doesn't replace calorie amounts consumed that determine whether you are at a deficit, maintenance, or surplus. What was his overall activity level? Is 2600 his TDEE to maintain? I'd say obviously not as he ended up losing rather than at least maintaining.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Dude eats nothing but chocolate, dude eats a lot of it though so dude takes in more calorically than his body should require (2500 calories), dude is super skinny to the point of being at health risk. Why is dude so skinny if dude eats more calories than he should require for maintenance?

Thanks.

You welcome.

I clearly need to go to bed because I cannot follow how this proves or disproves what is commonly believed on MFP.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Watch the kicker part again.

"the average man should be getting through 2500 calories a day"
    "Colin is eating 2600"

They make no comment on what he burns at all.

So the whole premise of the question, why is he so skinny if he eats more than he burns, and chocolate at that - is false premise.

There is nothing to explain away - they have no idea how much he burns.

Though, I'd wager some of both explanations that have been mentioned are true.
    There is a disease where you have incomplete digestion and get very little out of what you eat.
    Of course the way disease works, you must hit whatever they call the line to call it a disease, but obviously prior to that you can have the same effect.

Same for body making amino acids that are not ingested but it needs. Indeed takes more energy.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member

You welcome.

Im sorry I just read the tittle. The dude keeps losing weight or stays the same just because he's burning more calories than he burns. The dude might have a fast metabolism as well or maybe he has some problems in the stomach. Things start getting out of control when the body misses a micro-nutrient. I think its more of a hormonal problem or the dude just dont eat enough to gain weight.
  • ChickenmommaMich
    I've seen quite a few episodes of this show and know that they have a pattern. When they show what each person eats normally during the week, they'll say something like "so all in all, she is under eating by 4 days worth a week!" or "he is over eating by 5 days each week!" They didn't do that with Colin, because according to them, he's not under eating. They did the review with his overweight partner saying she eats about 5 extra days worth.

Also at the end of the show when the participants get their sensible eating plan, the show normally tells us how many daily calories each person will be taking in. I've found it interesting that the larger people usually get 2000-2400 daily calories to lose weight! Instead, in this episode they breezed over that section and didn't tell us how many calories either participant was to eat at home.

When Colin came back for his check-in, he had gained 9 lbs. He said that he was eating loads more with more variety including bread, vegetables and fruit.

For the first time I've seen on this show, they were very vague about calories....
  • ChickenmommaMich
    I've seen quite a few episodes of this show and know that they have a pattern. When they show what each person eats normally during the week, they'll say something like "so all in all, she is under eating by 4 days worth a week!" or "he is over eating by 5 days each week!" They didn't do that with Colin, because according to them, he's not under eating. They did the review with his overweight partner saying she eats about 5 extra days worth.

Also at the end of the show when the participants get their sensible eating plan, the show normally tells us how many daily calories each person will be taking in. I've found it interesting that the larger people usually get 2000-2400 daily calories to lose weight! Instead, in this episode they breezed over that section and didn't tell us how many calories either participant was to eat at home.

When Colin came back for his check-in, he had gained 9 lbs. He said that he was eating loads more with more variety including bread, vegetables and fruit.

For the first time I've seen on this show, they were very vague about calories....
    This makes this thread even more confusing. What exactly is the point of this thread?

Well normally the show explains things very well. About calories, and how both diets (too much food and too little food) are dangerous and damaging to the body. They didn't really offer any explanation about Colin so I just wanted to see what other people thought. Is Colin a special snowflake? I didn't think about how his poor diet might change how his body uses what he eats so that could be a potential explanation...
  • ndj1979

This makes this thread even more confusing. What exactly is the point of this thread?

nothing….time for gifs!
    200bacondispenser_zps1867e38d.gif
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Another explanation:

guy has krohns disease
    guy has hyperthyroidism
    guy actually is very active and his TDEE is above the "norm"
    guy doesn't actually eat 2600 cals exactly every day
    guy leads a busy life and quite often undereats

etc.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,147 Member

Well normally the show explains things very well. About calories, and how both diets (too much food and too little food) are dangerous and damaging to the body. They didn't really offer any explanation about Colin so I just wanted to see what other people thought. Is Colin a special snowflake? I didn't think about how his poor diet might change how his body uses what he eats so that could be a potential explanation...

Sounds like more reality show manipulation to boost ratings (or sell chocolate; is Cadbury a sponsor? :laugh: )
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    You know those little starving kids in Africa with the big pot bellies? It's probably analogous to that. They are under and malnourished. They don't have enough protein, fat and other nutrients in their diet due to eating simple carbs, and very little of them, which causes bloating of the belly (fact!).

This guy eats only chocolate. Only. There is enough fat and carbs in it to keep his body moving and burning off the caloric energy, but not enough actual nutrients and protein to sustain his organs, muscles and likely his brain, so they've all shrivelled up.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Also what they said was misunderstood - read my post top of this page.