New Fitbit Flex User (Help Please)

Options
jymmeh
jymmeh Posts: 33 Member
Ok guys, I just got a Fitbit flex and I am super confused on how it updates my exercise and calorie burned/intake with the negative adjustments and the the "explanation" that Fitbit and MFP gives does not help and make me more confused. Lol. For those of you who have this, what settings do you use and how am I to read this and what not. Thanks :-)

Replies

• sklocker
    sklocker Posts: 11
    Options
    I found that if I entered exercise in on MFP or Map My Run it threw everything off. Almost like I got double credit. I tried not to worry about the calories. Decide what your main goal is for using it- for me it was to beat my distance every day which is what I focused on- the other stuff was just a bonus.
  • jymmeh
    jymmeh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So I should only be logging my food with MFP and my exercise with Fitbit and they should fix the issue? because right now I have burned 755 calories per MFP but then Fitbit for some reason added 900 calories and now I am only at -155 burned and I got really confused. Lol.
  • sklocker
    sklocker Posts: 11
    Options
    Fitbit figures it's own exercise which us crazy because it isn't a HRM. Log your food with MFP- don't pay attention to the Fitbit calories burned if you know you burned 755 with a HRM.
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is more of an actual TDEE calculator. Even when you aren't active you are burning calories, I enter any exercise that isn't step based into MFP as well as my food. I let Fitbit do it's thing and just check it to see where I am for my steps. Since I use both hands to do many different things (left handed writer and eater, but I cut throw and catch with my right hand) I have it set for dominate hand so it's not as sensitive, and that way no matter what hand I'm wearing it on I don't feel like I'm "cheating".

The biggest thing with entering your exercise on MFP is making sure that you enter the time that you started your exercise. That way Fitbit burns don't count during that time.

The first day you own your flex isn't going to reflect your "actual" burn. The second day you'll get more of an idea of what you burn. I know with me I was able to bump up my activity level cause I didn't know HOW active I really was (I work retail and I'm on my feet A LOT).

In the morning you will notice you are going to have less calories to eat, this will increase as you are more active throughout the day. It's not uncommon for me to have 500 less calories to eat a day on a day I don't work and don't make myself get up and move about.

Also, there is a fitbit group on here if you want to join us. A lot of questions are answered there :D
  • LloydSev
    LloydSev Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the integration is similar to BodyMedia's BodyBugg device. For me, the integration with BodyMedia will import the total number of calories estimated to be burned during the day. Any manual exercise I enter in will deduct from that number so that the total of the two always equal the number of calories that BodyMedia says I will burn.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So MFP figures out your calories burned based on what you told it (active, lightly active, sedentary, etc.). So based on what you told it, say MFP comes out with a number like 2800. This is what it assumes you are burning every day of the week. It then gives you your calorie intake number, again based on what you told it (I want to lose .5 lb, 1 lb. 2 lb.'s a week, etc.)

Fitbit will calculate all calories that you burn. If it's less than MFP's 2800, you get a negative calorie adjustment. If' it's more, you get a positive calorie adjustment.

I found that MFP had me burning way more than I actually burn. I might burn that 2 days a week but not every day. So I figured out after a few weeks what my BMR + rest days looked like. So on a rest day I might get up and change the laundry, walk to the dishwasher, cook, head to the mailbox, etc., but it will be my lowest calorie burning day. I set MFP number to equal that. Then I let fitbit give me the positive hit from there on days that I am more active.

Building on that, I used a TDEE calculator to calculate my calories for me. The number they gave me for my TDEE is absolutely consistent with my 7 day calorie burn (in a 7 day average form). So I plugged in that number for my calorie intake and then have Fitbit giving me my positive adjustments (which show me how much energy I actually burn a day). I like it!
  • SynthiaBlair1
    SynthiaBlair1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options