Oh, my aching toe...question about shoes/socks

Options
On shorter runs, my Saucony's have been perfect. Very comfortable, and they are the only shoe that has allowed me to run without having IT band issues (I over supernate pretty severely on the right foot and moderately on the left). However, now that I am going longer distances, I am having toe issues. The 10K I did Saturday was the longest distance yet, and I have a horrible blister on my middle right tow. My left fourth toe was bleeding under the nail after I finished. The nail beds on both of my feet are sore too. So, I was reading some things about possible solutions: go half a size up on shoes, buy different socks....but I was wondering whether these will fix my toe issues. Should I look for a different shoe or just go up half a size in my current shoe? What are the best socks to help with this problem? Any other ideas?
Thanks

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Definitely go half a size up as feet tend to swell sometime during the day as well as when you run, and one foot is always bigger than the other...What kind of socks do you wear?? Some people also swear by toeguards - I personally go with my proper shoe size, my feet prefer a roomier toebox and of course good Tech socks!
  • tmodaniel0720
    tmodaniel0720 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stay away from cotton socks, I am currently trying out different brands as we speak. I have two pairs of running shoes, different brands and earned a blister on a 9 mile run last weekend. There is a lot of info out there on socks. http://www.runnersworld.com/running-apparel/choose-right-running-socks
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Try cheap/easy solutions first, then more expensive ones if those don't work. So first try new socks: smooth toe seams are good, avoid cotton, and make sure that they are not too loose! Loose socks will bunch up and rub. You can also carry a little moleskin with you on very long runs. If you start to notice a hotspot put the moleskin on before it has a chance to blister.

If you're still getting blisters, try half a size up in shoe. If that still doesn't work, you may have to find new shoes.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help. In a past life, I had this problem with long distance biking and would inevitably loose toenails. Ugh. I can't even imagine that with running. Hopefully someone can help.

Why do socks matter? Is it the rubbing or the sweat?
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last year when I started training for a half marathon. As soon as I started getting up around 6 or 7 miles I had problems. After talking to several runners and visiting a running store I ended up buying a new pair of shoes that were a full size bigger than my favorite running shoes. It made a world of difference when I do longer runs. Now I rotate between the 2 pairs of shoes. I did get blisters on the inside of my big toes last weekend on a longer run but now that is only because I had to take a couple of months off. Used hemorrhoid cream on them as soon as got done and within a day they were gone.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Try compression socks. I hate exercising in any other kind.

Wait till you get bleeding nipples :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Go up half to one full size. You should be able to fit a sideways thumb between the edge of your toes to the front of the shoe. No need for fancy socks either. The basic $10 3-packs will work just fine. I prefer the Asics Hydrology myself over the any of the other expensive socks I have, and I've had no toenail incidents or blisters in over a year.
  • udphirho98
    udphirho98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As another perspective . . . are you sure your shoes aren't too big? I have been having rubbing/bruising issues with my second toe on each foot and I assumed I would need to go up a half size. Like you, I was fine on short runs but anything over 3 miles and my toes were a mess. I went into a local running store to remedy the problem and, because I've lost so much weight since I first started running (just over 75lbs), they measured my feet again just to be sure and they've shrunk. So I went down a half size and the problem was gone in just a few days.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Do you find yourself sliding around in a larger shoe though? I like my shoes tight, I find I have better control over my stride that way.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Half a size up in shoe and good NON COTTON socks (cotton is rotten!). I personally like thorlo socks. They're thick and cushy. Also if I'm going to be doing a really long run I'll either use body glide or Vaseline on my feet to prevent blisters.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've experienced the cuts and blisters.
    Keep your toe nails trimmed and make sure there isn't a sharp edge. My feet are odd shaped and my toes tend to overlap so its not a shoe fit thing for me with this issue.
    For the blisters - I have the same issue, my shoes are better than any other I've tried but I get a blister on long runs. Vaseline or Body Glide on the spot has aleviated it for me. Socks haven't made much of a different for that.

And like everyone else said, go up a half or full size.

ETA - Oh I misunderstood the bleeding thing, my toe nail sometimes cuts my other toe. Disregard that part. Definitely the shoe size thing.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Try new socks first, as that's the easiest solution. If that doesn't help, try a half size up in your shoe.

Something else to consider: Are your toenails cut short, or were they a little longer? I usually don't have toe blister issues, but if I get one, that's the first thing I do: cut the toenails. They might not be long enough to cut into other toes (though I have had that happen, and OUCH!), but might be rubbing enough to cause a blister.
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Try new socks first, as that's the easiest solution. If that doesn't help, try a half size up in your shoe.

Something else to consider: Are your toenails cut short, or were they a little longer? I usually don't have toe blister issues, but if I get one, that's the first thing I do: cut the toenails. They might not be long enough to cut into other toes (though I have had that happen, and OUCH!), but might be rubbing enough to cause a blister.

I do think they were too long. Just had a pedicure and had them cut the nails shorter than I normally do. The blood was coming from under the nail bed. There seems to be a little blood pocket under the nail right now too. Hope that doesn't cause me to lose the nail...it is sandal season!

Thank you all for the responses. They are very helpful!