Lifestyle change

Options
So i have recently began losing weight. Are there any tips, or tricks you have to actually make a lifestyle change? Because I've tried a low calorie diet, which for me right now isn't working. My goal is really to be one of those "annoying" fitness people-who go running everyday as a habit, who are obsessed with finding the best way to cook vegetables, and generally just come across as super athletic. And I know its possible to change yourself like that, because I've done in a different area of my life. So, how would I transition to this lifestyle? Theres not exactly a lot of articles on a lifestyle change, just more on dieting. Anything would be appreciated.

Replies

• ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    "You are what you preach" Is a quote that comes to mind?

Surround yourself with good, and you will become/do good ;) Is another.....lol.....I don't know if I made that up or if I heard it somewhere lol......but it sounds good.

If you kick all your old habits to the curb, you will succeed, get rid of the junk food, etc......you can find many blogs around the Internet to help you in this area......Honestly, MFP was a "lifestyle change" for me.......I no longer keep "junk food" (Chips, dip, salsa, etc....cake, rolls, pastries, etc...) around the house.

YES, I do still eat those forbidden monsters, but only on occasion, and afterwards I have a long meeting with the gym to get back on track ;)
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Hi, congrats on deciding to make the lifestyle change. I would say that to really succeed at making it a new lifestyle, you need variety. I don't look at my nutrition as a diet. I eat healthy whole food. Don't just eat the same healthy thing over and over again. Eat a variety of things. My biggest rule I stick to (most of the time) in eating is to eat foods with 1 ingredient (chicken breast, carrot, sweet potato, salmon...). This will remove all the crap food from your diet and you'll be eating the healthiest foods this way. As I've heard, try to eat fruits, veggies, lean meats, and healthy fats. If you stick to this and have variety, you'll be able to maintain it long-term.

You also need variety in your exercise too. Work in strength, high intensity intervals, yoga, and cardio. It keeps your body on edge and keeps you from plateauing. Make it a habit. Exercise 5-6 days/week. It doesn't have to be 2 hours or anything like that. You can get great results from 30 minutes/day of intense and targeted exercise (I know, I've done it).

Finally, the last piece of the puzzle is accountability and support. When you have people that you are doing this will that will hold you accountable, you will be pushed to keep on the path. I help to run weight loss support groups through Facebook that are such a great community and resource for advice and support. It not only helps keep the people I coach on the path, but me as well. When I feel like slacking off, I log on there and it kicks my butt into gear.

Allan
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. Don't listen to anyone who tells you you have to give up anything completely. 80/20 rule; eat healthy 80% of the time, eat "junk" 20% of the time. I don't restrict myself, because it makes me obsess over and crave whatever I'm keeping myself from having. Try to incorporate fresh foods into your meals, and if you want snacks, work them into your daily allowance. Make sure you hit your macros, but don't be afraid of going over on sugar and sodium, unless it's a monumental amount or you have medical issues.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

ETA: Didn't see where you said you want to be one of those "annoying" fitness people. Disregard pretty much all of my comment.
  • MattyFTM
    MattyFTM Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Take it slowly. One step at a time. Don't rush in and make a milion changes at once. That is a recipe for failure. Make one small change a week. Maybe if you like sugary drinks, replace them with diet ones. Or if you go for a takeaway regularly, skip one this week. If you like your chocolate, cut back on that this week. Don't eat enough vegetables? Have extra veggies with a meal or two this week. Don't do any physical exercise? Go out and walk for an hour.

Just find things in your lifestyle that are unhealthy, and make a change. Just one. Then whilst keeping that up, make another the following week. Keep doing that, and in no time at all you'll be leading a much healthier lifestyle.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well I have started by just wanting to be lighter and have a nicer body. I researched a lot into nutrition and exercise and how to complement one with another. This was all over a course of time, not before I started. I started by simply limiting my calories (you have to, if you want to lose weight. Whether you want to count them or not, in the end if you take in more calories than you burn you will gain weight). Ten I wanted to eat better food so I looked into healthier snacks and recipes, and it got me passionate about cooking. Starting exercise got me interested in lifting. The more I read on it the more it becomes a part of my life as I put the things I think appropriate into effect.

I don't think you can force it. Make small changes you are comfortable with, and look at each idea from different angles. Someone says low carb is the only way to go - find research both supporting and disclaiming that position and make up your own mind. Same with everything. The more you learn the better decision you will make for your healthy lifestyle