Pet peeves, can i just say something?

Options
amazinglyjae
amazinglyjae Posts: 49 Member
So, i've encountered plenty on this journey so far. And along this wonderful journey of mine, i have come to realize some of my major pet peeves when it comes to social media and weight loss.

1. When people write "pds" after a numerical value instead of "lbs". Correct me if i'm wrong, or maybe this is a regional thing...but i always thought it was "lbs".

2. "Before and After" pics, but the person posts their "After" before the "Before". Again, please correct me, but reading from left to right, i expect to see the older pics on the left, and the new one on the right.

3. Pictures of meals. Simply said, some dishes look delicious like yummy yogurt with fruit, and some other foods...just don't need to be posted. Keep it fresh.

4. Pictures of you sweating after a workout. We get it, you worked out hard and congrats on the hard work ! But sometimes, those sweaty pics just aint the business.

5. (This last one is out of pure healthy jealousy :-) ) The before and after's of new mothers. Like i mean you just had the baby 4 weeks ago, new mothers. It's natural for moms to lose A LOT of weight immediately after giving birth. Water weight, breast feeding, and some women just quickly shrink back to their pre-weight. I'm a store manager of a maternity store, i see it all. I understand you are excited about losing the weight, i am for you as well. But "-36lbs in 6 weeks!" captions ? Enough said.

These are just some of my pet peeves that i come across on social media on a daily bases. Don't take anything personal. Also, these are healthy pet peeves, I'm not out here to disrespect anyone. Anyways, care to share some of yours?

Replies

• Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    So, i've encountered plenty on this journey so far. And along this wonderful journey of mine, i have come to realize some of my major pet peeves when it comes to social media and weight loss.

1. When people write "pds" after a numerical value instead of "lbs". Correct me if i'm wrong, or maybe this is a regional thing...but i always thought it was "lbs".

2. "Before and After" pics, but the person posts their "After" before the "Before". Again, please correct me, but reading from left to right, i expect to see the older pics on the left, and the new one on the right.

3. Pictures of meals. Simply said, some dishes look delicious like yummy yogurt with fruit, and some other foods...just don't need to be posted. Keep it fresh.

4. Pictures of you sweating after a workout. We get it, you worked out hard and congrats on the hard work ! But sometimes, those sweaty pics just aint the business.

5. (This last one is out of pure healthy jealousy :-) ) The before and after's of new mothers. Like i mean you just had the baby 4 weeks ago, new mothers. It's natural for moms to lose A LOT of weight immediately after giving birth. Water weight, breast feeding, and some women just quickly shrink back to their pre-weight. I'm a store manager of a maternity store, i see it all. I understand you are excited about losing the weight, i am for you as well. But "-36lbs in 6 weeks!" captions ? Enough said.

These are just some of my pet peeves that i come across on social media on a daily bases. Don't take anything personal. Also, these are healthy pet peeves, I'm not out here to disrespect anyone. Anyways, care to share some of yours?

The only real one I have is the "Before/After" of pregnant/new moms. The before is of them sideways at 7-8 months, and the after is of them in the same clothes- same pants size and everything (so, a 4 in one friends case), a month or so postpartum, and they're bragging about their 'weight loss.'
    Everyone deserves to feel good about themselves, and well done on bringing life into the world and all, but you didn't technically lose any weight. Most of it went to the baby, obviously, and good on you, and begone to that pesky water weight!
    But ... seriously? You weren't 'fat' when you were pregnant, and you're the same size now?
    Whatever I'm venting. Lol.
    And, no, these are most definitely body shots for comparison purposes, not a "omg look at how different I look with a baby in my belly as opposed to in my arms!" kind of thing.
  • amazinglyjae
    Options
    Exactly !! That's another way you can put it. It's sooo annoying.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is negative energy on MFP like this post. Just putting it out there....
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    No :noway:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is negative energy on MFP like this post. Just putting it out there....

x2 esp when it's in the motivation support forum...try chit chat next time.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    The only peeve I have is when people try to give you unsolicited advice when you've clearly done well with losing weight or spout off some gimmick or myth.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, you say you don't like when "before and after " pics people post their after then before. I just noticed that in your profile picture your after is to the left and before to the right.
    Just saying.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Can you just say something?
    You just did.

:huh:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Can you just say something?
    You just did.

:huh:
    tumblr_mtr6gdI7J31sj3oxho1_250.gif

OP doesn't want to disrespect anyone, but disrespects anyway.
  • ChickFlintstone
    ChickFlintstone Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought "Motivation and Support" was just that...encouraging, positive, and uplifting! What I just read from Amazinglyjae was not motivational or supportive. Perhaps another message board would have been more appropriate for voicing pet peeves. #ijs
    I understand many things just get under your skin but there is always a better audience, a better way and a better intent.
  • amazinglyjae
    Options
    Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, you say you don't like when "before and after " pics people post their after then before. I just noticed that in your profile picture your after is to the left and before to the right.
    Just saying.

I actually do not have any before and after pics on my profile.
  • amazinglyjae
    Options
    All of you took this post the wrong way. I encourage everyone on their weight loss. I am 100% supportive and i believe everyone deserves this love. I receive tons of it on here and in person. I also return that love to everyone, even if i see a pet peeve of mine. I even said that in the post. I think some y'all enjoy arguing or disagreeing with people's thoughts just to seem like a hero.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Just saying.

I actually do not have any before and after pics on my profile.
    It looks like you do. but nevermind. this is a motivation and support board not a good place for a rant or making fun of other people.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Aren't you a little ray of sunshine. Anything else we can change for you? You do realize that these forums are optional and you can choose not to open them, right?

But to stay on topic: I hate people who drive slow in the fast lane. :grumble:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of your peeves, OP -- even though some of them I have never noticed until you pointed them out.

My biggest ones are just misspelled words. Chipotle as 'chipolte' is probably my biggest spelling peeve because I hate the way it sounds when mispronounced and I hear that in my head when I read the misspelled version.

I also cannot stand misspellings like "high heals", "sandles", "protien", "cloths" (instead of clothes), "purposal", "anziety", "tatoo", "exzercize", "and so on. I think maybe tatoo is an acceptable alternative spelling but it still drives me crazy.

I fully admit that I can be overly picky about proper spelling, especially when it is a very common word/term or if you say something like "Sileane Deonn is my favorite singer" I bristle at that, because really...she's your favorite singer and you can't spell Celine Dion after seeing it on the dozens of album covers that are undoubtedly part of your longtime collection?

;-)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGKSkdJwZuq141LbtSZQNj12gA6vWlHAKt6cYcnQOuLCX90pBi

In for the entertainment.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I hate pets. . .except fish. . . I like fish. .they don't poop on the rug.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Options

No body is making ya read it! :D
    But serious this community of full of negativity and sarcasm.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Options
    I hate pets. . .except fish. . . I like fish. .they don't poop on the rug.

This is why I have tile throughout.
    So my fish don't poop on it.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    To me, social media is like one big party comprised largely of strangers.

I try to attend parties with the attitude that I'm going to meet different people who have different points of views.

Everyone has their own journey, and if "sweat selfies" make someone else's journey more interesting, then I'm fine with it. Not everyone spells well, I'm fine with it. I'd rather someone post something full of misspellings and get the support they need, than make people self-conscious about their spelling.

BTW, it isn't bases...it is basis. Grammatically, it isn't "don't take it personal" it is "don't take it personally."