Does hard Exercise...?

Tasha1476
Tasha1476 Posts: 220
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Cause extra water retention? I have had a busy busy weekend, we have been rebuilding our deck, so on top of doing my daily jillian and jogging in place through at least one tv show a day, I spent 4-6 hours each day since Friday lifting heavy boards and using muscles I didnt even know I had.

On last week's episode of Biggest Loser she muttered something about how a really hard workout can sometimes make you retain extra water... I haven't heard much about this, but in the last 2 days I regained everything I lost last week's weigh in, while eating within my limits, staying at a good balance of proteins and carbs keeping my sodium under 2500 and keeping my sugars as reduced to unrefined (as in fruits) as possible. My diary is open, and I am not pretending that I am 100% perfect all the time because I dont come anywhere close, but I can't really see ANYTHING that would warrant a 1.8 lb gain.. it wasn't just today, it was up 1.6 yesterday, and .2 today. I know you shouldn't weigh yourself every day, but when I get on the wii to do yoga, I just can't resist. And if I am doing something that is leading to a pattern of gaining, I want to know early on.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Yes, it can make you retain water. Ignore the new weight and just keep doing what you know you are supposed to be doing.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    It is probably a mix of water retention and muscle growth. A lot like when you get your period, your body holds water when you push it to its physical limits. 1) To be on the safe side in case the reasons you are pushing yourself are emergency related, but also 2) To help reduce lactic acid related muscle pain.

This is a case where I would step away from the scale...slowly, hands in the air girlie. If you get the need to check up on yourself, grab a measuring tape, or go out and take a body fat test. You aren't losing good hard work, you are putting on heavy muscle that will burn away fat all week long! Just try to focus on staying within your calories and being happy, you've done nothing wrong.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Women generally can retain 2-5 lbs of water at any given time in a month. IT SUCK I KNOW!Then yes working out harder can cause some water retention. If it is jsut a couple of lbs I would nto worry to much.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Yes it does.The sore muscles retain water.
    It's every time when I do something different and get my muscles sore, I'll see see a leap on the scale too.
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    thanks for the responses everyone! :smile:
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    It's not just women who can retain water. Anyone can. Depending on electrolyte levels, hydration levels, and muscle activity, you can swing 10 lbs in water weight (5 up to 5 down).

To be clear, one doesn't gain significant muscle mass in a weekend, it just doesn't happen. But what you can do is work your muscles hard, especially muscles that don't often see hard work. This causes the body to activate dormant muscle fibers. Dormant muscle fibers don't store glycogen at the muscle site, glycogen is a mix of water and glucose and is used as a ready replacement for quick energy. Now, on a per muscle basis, this is very small amount of water, but if you do activities that are outside the norm, and cause muscle fatigue, the totality of the new exercise can increase your muscle site glycogen storage by up to 2 lbs or so (generally, I imagine it's possible for it to be higher depending on the type of activity and the condition of the muscles). This is normal and to be expected. So short answer, YES new exercises can cause water retention.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Weght loss is never automatic. I train hard and stay active, but last week I tweaked one of my hamstrings and had to take it easy for a couple days. I ended up losing 2 lbs. My body just needed a rest, so it reacted well.

Just remember, logic hardly ever applies to short tern changes in weight.
This discussion has been closed.