Advice? Loving food then sudden compulsive overeating

Options
2»

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    No, never went to OA. I was just a lapsed Catholic. I started a journey of self improvement 10 years ago and I could only ever get so far before it would all blow up. Then I had that Aha moment. I realized what was the root of my problem and that I did not have to do this alone. My priest is a former high risk Obstetrician who used to work in the mission field in Afghanistan. When I looked at a man who could do anything but chose to be performing C-sections for Muslim women in battle zones by flashlight I was humbled. I considered myself a good person but I began to notice people around me active in Faith(Jewish, Catholic, etc) living life at a higher level. I began to aspire to that supernatural life. I highly recommend it.
  • myrtleMac123
    Options
    Onmyown70, you shouldn't really beat yourself up about this overeating. Do you think you are trying to stop yourself facing up to something deep down? The pleasure of eating is trying to numb the unpleasant feelings that you don't want to face. It is exactly the same as being an alcoholic just that the person is using food to escape unpleasant feelings instead of alcohol. You won't be able to gain control until you face whatever it is you are trying to avoid and the more you try to control just the food, the worse the problem gets. I know because I did it, like Mango pickle I had a Christian conversion and it helped me hugely so I don't do huge binges at all but sometimes I overeat because of stress and I know that I have to recognise the problem and find a different way of dealing with it rather than eating because eating doesn't cure the problem longterm.
  • LisaRN9
    LisaRN9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Would it be possible for you to only have small amounts of food on hand? Just enough for a day? I would also consider therapy for compulsive eating. Hypnosis?
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My husband has a similar response by the sounds of it, he just doesn't comprehend it. He bought an easter egg and I had to throw half of it away as I couldn't have it in the house after 2 days, it was driving me mad! And he laughed at me, but not in a nasty way though. I'm fortunate we don't normally keep any junk in the house - he has genetically high cholesterol so has to be super careful about his diet as an alternative to medicating - and neither of us really wants it to form part of our daily diet anyway.

We had to have separate cupboards in the kitchen. I've got some kind of mental block that if it's in his cupboard I can't eat, as it's not mine. Out of sight, out of mind is such a true concept to me. Biscuits and cakes have to be kept in tins, not out for me to see. It seems mad but it works for me.