Avocados the devil's fruit

Options
I love Avocados so much! I wish I could eat them every day. I buy about 4 a week and I might get to eat one out of the 4 as I am horrible at figuring out when to peel them. I either peel them too soon and they are hard as a rock and inedible or I wait too long and they are brown mush and inedible.

Yesterday I peeled one and it was perfect so I peeled the other 3 that also felt the same way. I ended up eating 3 of them....:ohwell: I didn't really want them all right then, but it was either that or have them go to waste. I just mash them in a bowl and eat the mushy goodness with hummus chips.

I have one left. I am going to check it in the morning.

What is the secret? What is the art of knowing when to peel these damn things?

Replies

• SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Mmmm Avo!!
    I feel them, when they are soft they are ready.

Wrap them in newspaper in a dark spot, that will get them to ripen quicker :smile:
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Mmmm Avo!!

Wrap them in newspaper in a dark spot, that will get them to ripen quicker :smile:

I try this....I gently squeeze them they aren't soft....the next day they're soft and brown and mushy....
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

thanks good tips. I like the tip in the comments about pushing a toothpick in the end to see if it's soft yet.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    When they're ripe, put them into the refrigerator to stop the ripening process.
  • robinerikson
    Options

This! It's a great help for me, too. Because, I do not know too when is the perfect time to eat this fruit.
    Thanks! :)
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    keep them away from banana's - they usually cause them to ripen faster.

eating some avo from my tree at home right now, and mmm avo's are God's gift for sure!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good tip to remember is to keep the stone (pit) and put it back in the container with your mashed avacados.....it keeps the brown away:smile:
  • MarisaShickel
    MarisaShickel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I only ever eat a half an avocado at a time so I cut in in half, sprinkle lemon juice on the other half, and put it in the fridge until the next day. The lemon juice helps to keep it from getting too yucky. The exposed part might still get a little brown, but it scrapes right off and it's a beautiful green underneath and not mushy. This actually works even better if you have a lemon wedge, squeeze juice from it on the lemon, and put the wedge in the container with the avocado.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Mmmm Avo!!

I try this....I gently squeeze them they aren't soft....the next day they're soft and brown and mushy....

thats because you bruised them!! shake them next time. if you can hear the seed inside rattling, you know it's ready.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I only ever eat a half an avocado at a time so I cut in in half, sprinkle lemon juice on the other half, and put it in the fridge until the next day. The lemon juice helps to keep it from getting too yucky. The exposed part might still get a little brown, but it scrapes right off and it's a beautiful green underneath and not mushy. This actually works even better if you have a lemon wedge, squeeze juice from it on the lemon, and put the wedge in the container with the avocado.

I second this - this works for me as well
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The devil knows how to party.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    They are ripe and ready when they are brown and you can feel you thumb/fingers push in slightly when you squeeze it. As others have said use lemon juice and keep the pit with the remaining half or put it in the container with the already mashed avocado. I am usually able to get 4 days worth with my scrambled eggs by doing this.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Once they're soft to the touch they're ready. If they're overripe I blend them w/ almond milk & spices to make a pasta sauce and it's good for a couple days in the fridge.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    peel them? I have only ever cut them in half and scooped out the flesh when they're soft and squishable..
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    pop the end off! that little nub of the stem? if its brown under, its not ripe yet. if its green, its perfect!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Yum!!!

But I have to disagree. Raisins are the fruit of the devil!!!
  • Clareel
    Clareel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love them too. I try to limit myself to half per day but could easily eat a whole one with every meal haha!

With the left over half I either leave the seed in and squeeze lemon juice on the flesh then put in an airtight container in the fridge - that is good for a day.

Or if I don't need it the next day I'll freeze the left over half and add to my smoothie in the morning.

I just love them, wish they weren't so expensive though!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Good tip to remember is to keep the stone (pit) and put it back in the container with your mashed avacados.....it keeps the brown away:smile:
    This works!! I've tried it and gotten to enjoy my avocados the next day.

Dang it. Now I want a tomato avocado sandwich!
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you want to save your guac (mashed avocado), just press cling wrap down on top of it all the way around the top. Not over the bowl as you normally store food, but actually press it down on the avocado to keep air off making sure it's covered all over :)