half marathon complete, but BLISTERS! advice?

Options
I completed my first half marthon yesterday (ran 5 miles, walked 8), but everytime I've gone longer than 10 miles, I get a blister on the bottom of my foot near the big toe. I have changed to double layer running socks, put vaseline on my feet...any other ideas? I really don't want this to be my last half, but if I can't figure out the blister problem, I don't know that I'll ever do it again...9 miles is still a good workout and doesn't give me blisters.

Any advice would be appreciated!

BTW..I NEVER would have attempted this 1 year ago! Thanks MFP (67 pounds gone, 27 more to go!).

Replies

• jme959
    jme959 Posts: 18
    Options
    congratulations, that s quite an accomplishment
  • toniz63
    toniz63 Posts: 13
    Options
    Try wrapping your hot spots with mole skin or band-aid brand Blister Blocker. I find that works really well in preventing blisters on my heels.
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    That is SUCH an amazing accomplishment!!! I just did my second half this past saturday:smile:

My first suggestion would be to check into your shoes. I know that when I ran my first one...my toes were kinda going numb and it just so happened that I was in the wrong shoes. If you're thinking you want to continue running and sign up for more races...I would definitely invest in some good running shoes...it makes a HUGE difference! For this race...my husband and I went to a store that actually takes a look at your old shoes and watches how you run and does a whole evaluation on you and puts you in the right pair of runners...its worth it and will defintiely decrease any discomfort.

GOOD LUCK and dont stop running!!!!
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    First of all - CONGRATS on such an accomplishment, but with the half-marathon and your weight loss!!

I would go talk to your local running store....with your shoes. They may have a better sock recommendation and/or you may be having a shoe issue. There is some stuff called BodyGlide that I have used before too. Blisters are caused from frictrion, so source of the problem needs to be identified and solved.

Happy recuperating (and you should take a few days and just stretch!) and you'll be back on the road in no time!!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Great job!! What an awesome accomplishment!! I also recommend Body Glide, get it at a running store or online. Also make sure you have dry-wick running socks and that your shoes fit properly. I actually have to buy my running shoes 2 sizes larger than my normal shoe size!!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    Congrats! That is awesome :)
    I second the dry wick, thin running specific socks and shoes at least one size bigger than normal. Keep up the good work.