Thought I had this down but now I'm confused !!

Options
Right I have been a member of MFP since October last year but the last two weeks have been awful and I decided today to draw a line, restart completely with a new account and re-educate myself again by redoing my calories, measurements etc.

But I just put my info into the scooby calculator and the results I've been given this time confuse me.

I'm 237lbs, female, 5ft 7 and I put my activity as sedentary as I'd rather add exercise calories on the day I do exercise rather than average out because I work shifts so I don't think it's accurate as I can exercise 5times a week or sometimes only twice.

Anyways-the issues my BMR has come up as 1842. My TDEE as 2211. And my calories based on my goal(20%deficit)1769. Which is the part that confused me as I didn't think you should be eating under your BMR.

Am I being totally daft ????

Replies

• workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    the recommended deduction to make off your TDEE is 15% which takes you to 1880 calories. which is over your BMR.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why are you calculating TDEE if you want to follow the MFP eating exercise calories method?

If you want to follow the MFP method just puts your stats in here (along with a realistic weight loss per week goal) rather than another calculator which works in a different way.
  • jodescorinna
    jodescorinna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    MFP only allocates me 1300calories- there is no way that's right for someone my height, weight, and structure. Surely?
    So I was going to adjust my calories on MFP accordingly, oh bugger even more confused now.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It is if you're completely sedentary. If you're going by TDEE-whatever% then you don't add in exercise calories because its assumed within your weekly activity.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MFP only allocates me 1300calories- there is no way that's right for someone my height, weight, and structure. Surely?
    So I was going to adjust my calories on MFP accordingly, oh bugger even more confused now.
    Because you have set a 2lbs a week weight loss goal probably.
    That's taking 1000 calories off your daily allowance - tough to sustain!

By the way it is 1300 plus exercise calories....
  • jodescorinna
    Options
    Right ok, I just had another little read up. Think it makes more sense. The idea of only 1300 scares me to be completely honest. But I suppose this method encourages you to exercise so u can eat more !

I'm generally not completely sedentary, I work in a brewery so am up and down stairs, carrying crates of beer cans etc. so maybe it'll just be more of a case of playing around to see what works for the next few weeks. Set 2lbs for weight loss originally as I'm getting married in August and thought that would give me a little boost without going mad.

Thanks for the input guys and gals.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    pick either TDEE or mfp

and set your deficit goals to be a little more reasonable/sustainable
    if TDEE go for 10-15%
    if mfp go for 1lb a week or less

I like eating mfp+excecise

if you want a little extra boost, then do more intense excercise and eat back 50-70% of it making sure that you always net over 1300 or so since you're tall
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

MFP gave me 1430 when I was at 140 pounds and set to sedentary. 1300 seems too low for you. I think you've set yourself too aggressive a plan with the 2 pound a week goal. Switch to 1 pound a week.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Scoobys way of determining activity level is a little off to me. Seeing what your job is, you should definitely select the "1-3 hours of exercise" ATLEAST, maybe even the next one. Of course, you need to do trial and error to see what works.
  • jodescorinna
    Options
    Thinking about setting it at 1500. As I said, my work etc is sometimes, but not always, pretty active and even if it means not losing 2lbs a week then so be it.
    Don't want to drive myself mad. Then after August il be setting a smaller deficit as I'm not bothered from then how long it takes for the weight to come off and hopefully this will mean I won't have to drop into the 1200calorie trap.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think you should recalculate your BMR. I was 5'8" , 224 pounds and sedentary. My BMR was around 1500. Now that I've lost weight, it is around 1450. I calculated using this site. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

My Fitbit flex calculates it about the same.

My TDEE being sedentary is about 1900. And they do say that you can subtract 20 percent as long as you don't go below your BMR.

If 1800 is really your BMR, why don't you try that for a while?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Eating below BMR is not the end of the world as we've previously been lead to believe, see this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058378-oh-noes-i-am-eating-below-my-bmr
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thinking about setting it at 1500. As I said, my work etc is sometimes, but not always, pretty active and even if it means not losing 2lbs a week then so be it.
    Don't want to drive myself mad. Then after August il be setting a smaller deficit as I'm not bothered from then how long it takes for the weight to come off and hopefully this will mean I won't have to drop into the 1200calorie trap.

If you want to start over and do it correctly then stop over complicating this.

Choose MFP NEAT method or TDEE.

If you choose MFP enter in your data correctly. You are not sedentary, you don't need to lose 2lbs a week. Enter your stats, 1lb a week weight loss goal and lightly active...I suspect you will get that 1500 calories you want.

If you choose TDEE choose your exercise levels and then do TDEE-20%...and eat those calories period.

This shouldn't be that difficult and you are just over complicating a simple process.
  • jodescorinna
    Options

If you choose MFP enter in your data correctly. You are not sedentary, you don't need to lose 2lbs a week. Enter your stats, 1lb a week weight loss goal and lightly active...I suspect you will get that 1500 calories you want.

If you choose TDEE choose your exercise levels and then do TDEE-20%...and eat those calories period.

This shouldn't be that difficult and you are just over complicating a simple process.

It's not difficult when you understand it.
    It's difficult to know if your classed as sedentary/lightly active etc, as it differs for everyone.
    It's not like I'm 'trying' to over complicate it- I just wanted to be sure hence asking for advice.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

It's not difficult when you understand it.
    It's difficult to know if your classed as sedentary/lightly active etc, as it differs for everyone.
    It's not like I'm 'trying' to over complicate it- I just wanted to be sure hence asking for advice.

Understanding TDEE and NEAT method requires looking at the definitions.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure so calculating it at sedentary when you exercise makes no sense...and based on your first post you knew it should have exercise in it.

NEAT = Non exercise activity Thermogenics calories required pre exercise.

You know if you are sedentary at your job...or not...and only you know that.

to not over complicate this you let MFP do the math for you based on reasonable goals.