Is this a reasonable goal?

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Right now I weigh 130. What would a reasonable goal be for like December? I was thinking 120. I would rather be lower but I think 120 is more reasonable but I'm not sure. . .

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I've found that it's counterproducitve to set a weight goal based on a time limit. Unfortunately, you can't control that. You can do everything right and gain or not lose or lose more slowly than someone else doing the exact same thing.

A better goal is to eat right and exercise (maybe set a specific amount of time or calories to burn) every day or whatever. Maybe try to get more fruits and veggies in your diet if that's something you need, or something to that effect.

That will give you the best weight loss you can get and then you won't be disappointed if you don't lose 10 pounds in two months. It's possible and healthy, but there's no guarantee and that's the problem.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    if this is your first month, you will probably lose loads - you dont have much to lose, id set your goal at around 1 pound per week, so by the end of december you should be 120 :) , but you may be less, the first few pounds fall off!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    if this is your first month, you will probably lose loads

That's not necessarily true.

Most people have larger losses in the beginning due to water weight loss because they weren't drinking enough and when they start hydrating better, their bodies let go of the water. Or they were eating a lot of high-sodium foods and when their diets improved, they ate less sodium.

It is not unusual to GAIN weight in the beginning or have very small losses.

So, you COULD lose a lot at first, but it's not a guarantee by any means. Believing that can set you up for disappointment and then derail you altogether. Although, I see the OP has lost 19 pounds already, so my guess is this is not the beginning for her.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I've found that it's counterproducitve to set a weight goal based on a time limit. Unfortunately, you can't control that. You can do everything right and gain or not lose or lose more slowly than someone else doing the exact same thing.

A better goal is to eat right and exercise (maybe set a specific amount of time or calories to burn) every day or whatever. Maybe try to get more fruits and veggies in your diet if that's something you need, or something to that effect.

That will give you the best weight loss you can get and then you won't be disappointed if you don't lose 10 pounds in two months. It's possible and healthy, but there's no guarantee and that's the problem.

I agree with this 100%. In the first year when I could regularily lose weight each week (and had a lot more to lose) I could set goals for each month of what I wanted to weigh and I could usually reach them. But now that I have less to lose, and I am not riding the weight -loss high anymore, it's a lot more difficult. I got engaged back in January and I had 15 pounds to go until my goal. Fifteen pounds in 9 months, no sweat right? Well the pressure of wanting to lose that before my wedding was weighing on me (no pun intended) and not only did I not lose it, but I a GAINED 13 pounds!

It's good to have an overall goal in mind, such as being down to around 120 eventually, but short term it's better to set goals such as, "I'm only going to have one cheat meal this week", or "I'm going to drink an extra 8 oz of water today", or "I am going to work out 5 days this week", etc. Consequently, sticking to those goals will get you to your weight goal without adding pressure.
  • if this is your first month, you will probably lose loads

That's not necessarily true.

Most people have larger losses in the beginning due to water weight loss because they weren't drinking enough and when they start hydrating better, their bodies let go of the water. Or they were eating a lot of high-sodium foods and when their diets improved, they ate less sodium.

It is not unusual to GAIN weight in the beginning or have very small losses.

So, you COULD lose a lot at first, but it's not a guarantee by any means. Believing that can set you up for disappointment and then derail you altogether. Although, I see the OP has lost 19 pounds already, so my guess is this is not the beginning for her.
    I totally agree! I am definitely overweight, and yet my weightloss has been painfully slow. I have lost only two lbs in the first two weeks. (i have been a member here longer, but only got serious the last two weeks.) I have always drank lots of water, and don't overdo the sodium, so there was no water loss for me. Some of us it just takes longer...
    I agree that exercise/eating goals are going to be better for your continued motivation. Not like i am an expert, or anything! ha! ...just my 0.02 cents.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    well thanks everyone. I think I'll do the weekly goals for working out. Which I really want to work out today but Im not feeling good for some reason.
  • a pound a week.. for your size is reasonable ;)
This discussion has been closed.