exercise database

Options
I'm still confused.. about this.. Why is the exercise database so limited ? And why can't i find any dvd' workouts in the database ? Even the super famous one on this web site like 30 day shred- no dvd in the database. I know it should go by " cardio " but it would be much better if you could just type in the dvd name and be done with it. .. Just my opinion..

I don't have a HRM - used to- now i don't .. My HRM was never matching with any of my equipment - it showed too many kcls burned in comp. with the treadmill etc. I did go by the HRM info- and have not lost a single lbs- i think it was too much - so i returned it..
I would love to be able to " trust " that thing whatever it says.. and stop this " guess " work .. but i don't know which one to take and how to get comfortable with that info on it- even though it shows twice the kcls than what my equipm shows.. ?

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The exercises in the data base are the standard exercises on the METs Compendium. They have been studied in detail to determine approximately how many METs (metabolic equivalents) they burn . Specific exercise videos haven't, so therefore, they can't be listed in the same way. There just aren't enough exercise physiologists in the world to analyze every video out there to determine it's exact METs and put them on a compendium like the data base in a time frame that would be reasonable for people to use. So, we're stuck having to list the exercise based on it's type instead of the specific video. For 30 Day Shred for example, it is actualy a form of circuit or interval training, so that is how I would list it in the exercise log.
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ok , i didn't know that it is like that.

I somehow " imagined " the exercise database to be like the food database - we enter the info about food products- so i was thinking we could also enter the exercise info.. according to - HRM results or i don't know.. ..
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options

I somehow " imagined " the exercise database to be like the food database - we enter the info about food products- so i was thinking we could also enter the exercise info.. according to - HRM results or i don't know.. ..

You actually can enter in your own exercises ... just like the food database.

I have a HRM and for example I walk on the treadmill. Sooooo...I entered a log called "Treadmill, various speeds" and use that to log my minutes/calories burned on the days I workout.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Yes, you can enter them yourself, but they don't appear to go into the exercise database like the foods do for others to be able to use. And since the calorie burn numbers you enter yourself are from a heart rate monitor, they wouldn't translate to others because we'd have different heart rate responses to the same workout. You'd have to do a lot of math to get a MET value to make it translatable to various populations and weights of people to be able to share it. But if you have a heart rate monitor you can log your own and it saves your exercises that you've entered before for you to reuse. But since you don't have a heart rate monitor, that's not really an option.