What happens after your gallbladder is gone?!

Options
13»

Replies

• quelyd
    quelyd Posts: 11
    Options
    I can't express it enough. Thanks so much for all the replies!!! :)
  • shereje
    shereje Posts: 1
    Options
    I actually have Gallstones now. I am terrified of surgery. I was diagnosed 3 months ago when I was rushed to the hospital for the unbearable pain ( why they didn’t just knock me out and remove them at that time is beyond me). So far I have been really watching what I eat no fatty foods , I cut out dairy products all together. If I’m not sure about than I don’t eat it. I have read all the replies to everyone’s gallbladder removal and it’s making me wonder if I should just bit the bullet and do it. Thanks for the encouraging replies ..
  • quelyd
    Options
    Also, when did you start working out?

That will be a very individual thing. Is your surgery laproscopic (tiny incisions to stick instruments through, instead of opening you up)? The recovery from that takes a lot less time, but you still have to be conscious of those little incisions under your ribs. Let pain be your guide. Walking should be ok after a couple of weeks, but anything that will put tension on your abs should wait until you have zero pain there.

It's over a week past for me and yet I still can't stay on my feet for too long without having a headache or feeling dizzy. Then again, I am not eating enough yet so I am hoping once my appetite is better I can at least go for multiple short walks. I am doing my best to do light chores at home just so I am moving.
  • quelyd
    Options
    I actually have Gallstones now. I am terrified of surgery. I was diagnosed 3 months ago when I was rushed to the hospital for the unbearable pain ( why they didn’t just knock me out and remove them at that time is beyond me). So far I have been really watching what I eat no fatty foods , I cut out dairy products all together. If I’m not sure about than I don’t eat it. I have read all the replies to everyone’s gallbladder removal and it’s making me wonder if I should just bit the bullet and do it. Thanks for the encouraging replies ..

I know people who is fine with stones in their gallbladder. One of them actually managed to somehow lose it after the diet change, some herbal meds and drinking crazy amount of water daily. I too was scared about the surgery but I knew I had to do it right then because I never want to feel that pain again. Hope things works better for you, if it has been three months and you haven't had an attack since then the change in diet is working! :)
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out in 2009. Everybody told me "you can't eat this or that anymore" but I honestly haven't notice any difference since before I had mine taken out (except for a few scars on my stomach)

I can still eat greasy burgers and pizza, and spicy mexican and indian food which I've heard are the hardest for most people.
  • Royan33
    Royan33 Posts: 10
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed two years ago. Everything went fine, I had some pain in the shoulder due to the gas but that was not too bad. I have no any problem since that. I can eat everything, nothing cause any problem. :)
  • quelyd
    Options
    I had mine taken out in 2009. Everybody told me "you can't eat this or that anymore" but I honestly haven't notice any difference since before I had mine taken out (except for a few scars on my stomach)

I can still eat greasy burgers and pizza, and spicy mexican and indian food which I've heard are the hardest for most people.

I hope same goes for me as well. I just survived my first roll of sushi for lunch today so at least I can add that to my new food list. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Also, when did you start working out?

That will be a very individual thing. Is your surgery laproscopic (tiny incisions to stick instruments through, instead of opening you up)? The recovery from that takes a lot less time, but you still have to be conscious of those little incisions under your ribs. Let pain be your guide. Walking should be ok after a couple of weeks, but anything that will put tension on your abs should wait until you have zero pain there.

It's over a week past for me and yet I still can't stay on my feet for too long without having a headache or feeling dizzy. Then again, I am not eating enough yet so I am hoping once my appetite is better I can at least go for multiple short walks. I am doing my best to do light chores at home just so I am moving.

Yes, the first week and a half or so was awful, I was so sore. I couldn't even stand up completely straight because it put too much tension on my abs. The last half of the second week, the pain started to subside and become more specific to the incisions instead of all-over ab pain, and then it was easier to stand up and walk. After the first couple of days of getting over the anesthesia, I had no problems eating. Definitely make sure you eat enough. Once the anesthesia is out of your system, you have no reason to be lightheated.
  • jewol
    jewol Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed some 20 years ago and discovered that I could actually eat more types of food than before the surgery. (Eating tomato based products in the period several year prior to surgery, for example, would send me into an agony that would keep me awake all night.) I remember waking in recovery after the surgery with the nurses asking, "On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate your pain?" I almost laughed because I could detect no pain. In fact, mystery pains that I had had in my back in the decade before were suddenly gone. Had I known I would feel so good afterward, I would have had the surgery years before … instead of putting it off like a stubborn mule.

I don't believe that losing your gall bladder will make you more prone to weight gain. My weight issues existed before … and after surgery. Of course, that is just my experience.