Proper way to run?

Options
I'm working on the C25K and I have a few running questions...
I have flat feet and there is always a pulling feeling in the arch area after I'm finished. Normal? Is there a special sort of shoe I need to buy?
I don't know how my feet are supposed to go when I run...I've noticed they sort of just hit the ground flat instead of the heel-to-toe like I do when I walk.
Breathing...when running, I'm always breathing in and out through my mouth. Is this ok? Should I be nose breathing?
I know these sound like really stupid questions, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    you might look at shoe insole inserts, I use them on my shoes and it helps absorb the impact.

I read a thing online about breathing, it said your body will find a way to breath :)
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about what kind of shoes to buy to help your feet....But I would suggest getting some good ones. With flat feet, you're probably more likely to get shin splits. When I ran track, I would always wrap tape around my feet to get my arch even higher (I have a normal arch).

As for the breathing, I'm always breathing through my mouth as well.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I wish you luck!! :)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I got really nice gel inserts for my running sneakers. I have flat feet too and I never have pain during or after running in them. I got them at Finish Line, but any athletic goods store will help you. Just tell them you have flat feet and want some sort of gel insert for them. Good ones run about $20, but trust me, it's worth the investment. I spend $100 on good shoes and $20 on inserts and it's paid for itself over and over again with how comfortable running is.

For breathing, I breathe in thru my nose and out thru my mouth. I just find it the easier to do that and it keeps my heart rate down. When I need a deep breath, I'll breathe in through my mouth once and then go back to normal.
  • erinkate82
    Options
    The most "natural" way to run is for the ball of your feet to hit the ground first and your heal just barely hit. Most running shoes force your heal to hit the ground first - in your case, hitting flat.

Try to focus on toe-to-heal for a few minutes at a time with each run, increasing the amount of time you run toe-to-heal slowly, until it becomes natural. This form of running forces your calves to aborb the impact of running, instead of your feet, ankles and knees the way heal-to-toe running does.

You will feel the difference in your calves as you slowly introduce this form of running into you daily exercise routine but it should help with the pain in your feet.

For more info--
    http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/?q=barefoot+running&vid=E9950CB6E27151267368E9950CB6E27151267368&FORM=VIRE2
  • pasbd
    pasbd Posts: 7
    Options
    Find a store in your area that specializes in running. Be sure to take your old running shoes with you so they can look at the wear pattern. They should be able to help you find the right shoes for you.

You need the right shoes for your feet to be successful. They are a worthwhile investment.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it is hard to change the way you run. The good news, it's an easy fix. I am not going to tell you the exact type of shoe, because I cannot see how you actually move, step, and rotate. Therefore, you need to go to a local shoe store that has knowledgeable staff on footwear. Some sporting goods stores, like ****'s, will have staff that know this as well.

In regards to breathing, there is a science to it, just like swimming. The standard breathing is in nose, out mouth. The restricted airflow in will help put more effort on your lungs, which makes your workout more useful. This will also end up helping your breathing while you sleep and during normal day to day activities. Personally, I try to breathe in and out of my nose until my heart rate gets high enough that I need to go to in nose, out mouth. I would only resort to mouth in mouth out if you are towards the end of a cardio workout and are really struggling.
  • kheghini
    Options
    There are some specialty running stores that may help fit you for a shoe. They look at exactly how your foot falls on the ground while you walk, and find a shoe that compliments your foot. Since you have flat feet, you will most likely need a shoe that supinates your foot, meaning it will give you more support in the inside of your foot, where you don't have an arch. This type of shoe will prevent any overuse injuries, such as tendinitis.

Your stride when you run should try to be more of a long stride. When I first started running, i was running up more, and not forward. This was causing me to run less distance, with more strides, therefore using more energy. Running forward feels a little weird at first, but you realize you can go further without wasting so much energy. As for your feet, you should try to stay on the balls of your feet. Your foot may not follow a heel-toe pattern, like when you walk, and your calves may be very sore at first, but you get more power running from the balls of your feet than a flat foot. Think of your foot as a spring. When you jump off a flat foot, it is like a slinky, with too much shock absorption, therefore making you work harder to push that foot off the ground. If you have a more rigid foot when you land, like on the ball of the foot, your foot has a little less shock absorption, and can spring right up.

Your breathing should be relaxed, in through the nose, out through the mouth. Once you get a rhythm going, and can control your breathing, you will feel like you can run for days.

Seems like there is a lot to think about, but once you find an optimal stride for you, while grasping these concepts, you will think running is the easiest type of exercise. Good luck!
  • austinusn
    Options
    Agreed, one thing you might want to try is a running store were the employees will actually watch how you run and recommend a shoe to your running style. This will absolutely help your running and drastically reduce your risk of injuries.
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    During any type of exercise, including running or weight training, you should breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I always thought the breathing was in mouth out the nose? lol..
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try to land in the middle of your foot (more towards the ball) and roll forward to your toes. It took me a long time to get breathing down, but try to inhale 3-4 steps through your nose, and exhale 2-3 from your mouth.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! You guys are always full of great advice. :happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Find a store in your area that specializes in running. Be sure to take your old running shoes with you so they can look at the wear pattern. They should be able to help you find the right shoes for you.

You need the right shoes for your feet to be successful. They are a worthwhile investment.
    Agreed! The right shoe makes all the difference.

Beyond that, I don't have an answer for you. :-)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Beware of stride nazis and breath prophets. I find it amusing that the same people who were demanding 35 years ago that I run heel to toe are now demanding that everyone run like I do. Don't force yourself into someone else's style. Everyone has an optimal stride length and pattern. You may not have found yours yet. My advice is to focus on maintaining a relaxed, erect posture and controlled, even somewhat compact stride. I will agree that it's better not to be a heavy, "thumping" heel strikers, but not everyone should be in their toes, either.

Breathing is breathing-there is no special "technique"-just don't stop doing it. If you run fast enough, you will ultimately discover that the most efficient way to maximize ventilation is to breathe through the mouth-up to that point it doesn't make any difference.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Breathing is breathing-there is no special "technique"-just don't stop doing it. If you run fast enough, you will ultimately discover that the most efficient way to maximize ventilation is to breathe through the mouth-up to that point it doesn't make any difference.

I disagree. I can run farther and get less tired when I employ the same breathing I use for yoga when I run.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the C25K and I have a few running questions...
    I have flat feet and there is always a pulling feeling in the arch area after I'm finished. Normal? Is there a special sort of shoe I need to buy?
    I don't know how my feet are supposed to go when I run...I've noticed they sort of just hit the ground flat instead of the heel-to-toe like I do when I walk.
    Breathing...when running, I'm always breathing in and out through my mouth. Is this ok? Should I be nose breathing?
    I know these sound like really stupid questions, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

You'll get different advice on this, but here's my two cents:

1) Go to a running store and let them fit you for the proper shoes.

2) Run in a way that feels most natural to you. If you're not sure what that feels like, take your shoes off and run around in soft grass for a little while. Running barefoot pretty much forces you to run natural. Try to mimic that when you get your shoes back on.

3) Breath how you want to. Some people will say you should only breath through your nose. I breath through my mouth. The important thing is to get your breathing in a good rhythm with your run. Once I'm warmed up I usually exhale every four steps when my left foot hits the ground and inhale on the other three.

4) Stand up straight and tall when you run.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    3) Breath how you want to. Some people will say you should only breath through your nose. I breath through my mouth. The important thing is to get your breathing in a good rhythm with your run. Once I'm warmed up I usually exhale every four steps when my left foot hits the ground and inhale on the other three.
    I completely agree.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Everyone's stride is going to be a little different and everyone with breathe a little different.

I do think that hard heel pounding should be avoided, but beyond that you are best just settling into whatever stride & posture fits you.

All things being even I think a relaxed breathing pattern is better, but depending on exertion levels, that is not always achievable. As far as nose/mouth, I think what ever is comfortable for you. For me a lot depends on the temperature, allergies, & exertion.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound really stupid... but I’m sitting here thinking about it and I have no idea how I breathe or where my foot hits. I just hit a rhythm that I'm comfie with and go. I think about grocery lists and art projects. Sometimes I just listen to the music or look around at the pretty trees. It seems like my body picked a good form because I can go 5+ miles and have little no soreness in any joints or muscles after the fact (other than the short lived stiffness soon after I finish). Once I get into longer runs or concerned with time, I will probably find a running coach and might have actual advice for you other than “just go”. I’ll be sure to share it if I do.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound really stupid... but I’m sitting here thinking about it and I have no idea how I breathe or where my foot hits. I just hit a rhythm that I'm comfie with and go. I think about grocery lists and art projects. Sometimes I just listen to the music or look around at the pretty trees. It seems like my body picked a good form because I can go 5+ miles and have little no soreness in any joints or muscles after the fact (other than the short lived stiffness soon after I finish). Once I get into longer runs or concerned with time, I will probably find a running coach and might have actual advice for you other than “just go”. I’ll be sure to share it if I do.

It's not that complicated. You have the right idea. In the "running boom" days in the '70s, running was as much a cult as it was a sport, and some of that still lives on.