Food Help Please...

ShellyKay67
ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I am not getting enough protein in.........carbs, fat and salt seem to be in line, but still not taking in enough protein!
Any suggestions? I need more protein WITHOUT adding alot of extra carbs as I do have trouble keeping my carbs in check some days what with the fruit and yogurt! I try to eat oatmeal every morning with raisins or dried mixed berries and 1 tbs of honey, so that isn't getting me alot of protein, but works towards lowering my too high triglycerides!
Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Are you SURE you're not getting enough protein? A lot of people seriously overestimate their protein needs.

I can't see your menus, so I can't give a better answer than that!
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Hard boiled egg whites are high protein and low calorie/carb. You could add salt/pepper for more flavor.
  • you seem to be having the total opposite problem that I have. I run out of protein and have plenty of carbs left. My advice would be to stay away from pastas, breads, and other starchy foods. If you like cheese, grab some low-fat cheese sticks, they are easy to take with you. If you like eggs, make some omelets with diced ham and low-fat cheese.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    What is a protien? Good luck when you find the answer. [Meat,beans & others] Repairs the muscles!:drinker:
  • ShellyKay67
    I have my ratios set at the following (maybe in need to adjust them?)
    Carbs 55%
    Protein 30%
    Fats 15%

Thanks for all the help! : )
  • ShellyKay67
    I have opened my food diary...
    Thanks again!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Nuts are a good source of protein. As is spinach. ;)
  • LKissam
    LKissam Posts: 44 Member
    I have a problem of always going double what my protine is supposed to be...scrambled egg whites with a little onion powder (or sauted onions) and pepper is low cal but lots of protine, low fat deli meats like chicken and turkey are great. I chop that up on a salad if you don't want a sandwich. low fat yogurt, and cottage cheese are good sources as well.
    Hope that helps ya!
  • rml_16
    You're getting more than 70 grams of protein a day. That should be plenty.

Most experts believe that most people get more than enough protein daily. In fact, some believe the average sedentary American eats about 50% more than the recommended daily amount, which ranges from 40-70 grams each day depending on your gender, age and situation.
    If you're an exerciser, however, your protein needs may increase since resistance training and endurance workouts can rapidly break down muscle protein. A position statement published by the ADA, DOC and ACSM recommends that endurance and strength-trained athletes have between 1.2 and 1.7 g/kg (0.5 - 0.8 grams per pound) of protein for the best performance and health.

What if you're trying to build more muscle? Shouldn't you eat even more protein? Not necessarily. There's evidence that bodybuilders, much like exercisers or athletes, do require more protein but that any more than double the RDA won't necessarily help you build more muscle. In one study, experts studied three groups of weight lifters: A low protein group (0.86 g/kg), a moderate protein group (1.40 g/kg) and a high protein group (2.40 g/kg) and found that, "There were no effects of varying protein intake on indexes of lean body mass."

In essence, the more you exercise, the greater your protein needs will be. However, taking it too far, for example more than doubling your protein intake, won't necessarily help you build more muscle.

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day
  • ShellyKay67
    I think I have all the right foods, must just not be eating in the right combination...
    I have raw almonds, low-fat cottage cheese, lots of veggies, peanut butter, etc. I put fresh spinach on my turkey sandwich in place of lettuce and add tomato - YUMMY! With the tomato, no mayo needed!
    I think I need to start adding maybe a hard boiled egg white to morning oatmeal routine. Maybe that would help.
    I sure appreciate all the advice! :happy:
  • ShellyKay67
    Thank you!! I do workout at least 1 to 1 1/2 hrs 4 to 5 days per week including weight lifting! I feel better about my protein intake now!
  • rml_16
    Thank you!! I do workout at least 1 to 1 1/2 hrs 4 to 5 days per week including weight lifting! I feel better about my protein intake now!

There's this myth that persists (and I see SO MANY PEOPLE on this site perpetuating it) that more protein is better, even when you're WAY over what you actually need.

The bottom line is when you're getting too much, it will be stored as fat or filtered out in your urine, which taxes kidneys and the liver. Your protein intake most days looks good to me. It looked like you had a few days where it was low, but we can't be perfect every day.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Protien shakes will help. My personal fav is BSN vanilla, its the smoothest best tasting Ive had, but the cals are higher than some other brands and its a lil pricey. I like the vanilla cause I can mix anything with it: ie. fruit, or chocolate (when I'm in the mood for it) OH, the have a new flavor cinnamon roll, I plan to try it after pay day lol.
  • ShellyKay67
    Thanks rml........i appreciate you taking a look for me!
    I did read that extra protein is stored as fat, but was worried that under consuming would cause issue too!
    Thanks for your help! :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Thanks rml........i appreciate you taking a look for me!
    I did read that extra protein is stored as fat, but was worried that under consuming would cause issue too!
    Thanks for your help! :flowerforyou:

You definitely NEED protein for many reasons (not the least of which being it helps control appetite!). It's energy. It repairs muscle. All the things people say it does. So, definitely aim for a healthy amount using the formula I posted. But you seem to be getting plenty from what i saw. :-)

If you feel hungry after that breakfast, adding some protein will help with that. I eat oat bran cereal and add some peanut butter to it for protein. Having protein, fiber and a little fat with each meal or snack helps control appetite. That's why nuts are so awesome.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    I'd add a scoop of protein powder into your oatmeal in the morning. You can get a vanilla or chocolate flavored one and then omit the honey, as the protein will be sweet. Also, try swapping out 1/2c. of fat free cottage cheese for your yogurt and drink a shake as one of your snacks. It'll keep you full longer also
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    I love my protein and am in the belief that more is better! Everyone can find facts/articles/research to support their own beliefs. I personally, love to consume protein.. I get headaches if I don't eat enough. I also like that lean protein allows me to consume a good portion of food for little calories.

For breakfast, you can use the eggs, egg whites, greek yogurt or add protein powder to your oatmeal. I also will eat whatever lean protein I had for dinner the night before. it's not uncommon for me to eat some sliced pork tenderloin or a ground turkey patty for breakfast.
This discussion has been closed.