Chalean Extreme - resistance bands?

Options
I need to get some 15, 20, and 25 lb dumbbells for Chalean Extreme - they are so expensive, even on ebay/craigslist! I think I may go with resistance bands instead - has anyone had any experience using bands for a Beach Body program, Chalean Extreme in particular, instead of hand weights?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm about to finish the Push phase of Chalean Extreme (I'm technically doing a CLX/Turbo Fire hybrid). I switched to resistance bands for this phase because the 8lb weights I had got too light. I've found that it's just about as effective. There are a few exercises that are a bit difficult with a band because I have hard plastic handles, so tricep kickbacks and the like are difficult because the handle doesn't bend. And any exercise using the band lying on my back, I just go to my 8lb weights for those. Anyway, the set I got has one set of handles and 3 interchangeable resistance bands. It's by Natrual Fitness and I'm very happy with it. http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Fitness-Adjustable-Resistance-Tube/dp/B001EOV4K6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1286806082&sr=8-1

It's only $20, so cheaper than a single heavier weight would cost. Worth giving it a try at least for that much.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I know target has a little sale on dumb bells right now. I am on week for of the burn phase myself. I started with 2#, 3# and 5# dumb bells. I just purchased 8# ones two weeks ago. I am just slowly trying to purchase the dumb bells as I go. If you are not getting the results you like with yours then the bands may be the way to go. I know Target has a set of 3 bands (different resistances).

I am hoping to be able to keep up with the dumb bells. For some reason I just don't think that the bands will be able to let you have the natural movement. That could just be me. Not sure though.

Wow that is a ramble. Sorry.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    You may be able to find some specifics on teambeachbody.com because there are message boards for every program.

Since one of the people in the ChaLean videos uses bands and Chalene says the program will work with whatever equipment you have, I don't think there would be any problems. Just watch the Band Basics DVD for pointers.

I've been using dumbbells, but I got an adjustable set (different plates, NOT like selectechs) for $20 at Walmart. I can make them into 5#, 10#, 15#, 17.5# and 20# by changing the plates around. I'll probably need to purchase some heavier weights as I get into the Push & Lean phases, but they're working great for now.

Best of luck!