Nutritional goals

Options
tobykeohane
tobykeohane Posts: 24 Member
Ime a bit confused about the nutritional goals. The pie chart says I can have carbs 50percent, fat 30percent, protein 20percent and so far I have had 39 carbs, 39 fat, 22 protein so this tells me I can't have any more fat or protein today but when you look at the nutrients it says I still have 18g fat left, 100g carbs and 30g protein.

Confused.com

Can anybody explain this for me please

Thanks
Tracy

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    The pie chart isn't telling you that you can't have any more, to my knowledge. It's moreso trying to make your fat/carbs/protein balance with one another throughout the day. So you can still eat, but try to keep them as balanced as possible each day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The first set of numbers you mention, the pie chart, just shows the overall percentages you are aiming for. If you just started, you probably don't want to worry about it too much, although if your protein is way short or you fall into the trap of trying to keep fat too low, it's worth thinking about. But at first just see where your numbers are--you don't have to meet any particular macros to lose weight and different ones work better for different people.

The second set of numbers aren't percentages, but the total number of grams of each you've had so far. If you do the math they add up to the number of calories you've had so far. There are 4 calories per gram of protein or carb, and 9 per gram of fat. MFP has set this up so that if you meet them all you will also meet your calorie goal.

The third set of numbers are the amount left to get to your goal of each, if you want to have the ratio match those on the pie chart. If you add those to what you've eaten so far and do the math, you will get your calorie goal. Like I said above, I don't think you should worry much about it, but just see how what you get compares to the recommendation. There's nothing magic about the MFP ratio.