working out steadily but no change in the mid section

Options
jesca02
jesca02 Posts: 7 Member
Is there any body with this problem or had this problem? I am 45 yr. old female an steadily workout everyday but for some reason I can't seem to get my thighs or mid section to tone up. I do situps an squats everday to every other day depending on the workout of the day. I have read other mfp that have this problem is it age an will these areas will never tone up? Please tell me that is not so. Any one have any suggestions???? I am watching what i eat an counting calories. Oh I also do strength/weights at least 2-3x a week. So far I'm not liking the 40's.lol

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 37 and it is a slow go losing weight from my midsection. My shoulders and back seem to be getting bony while my middle is still covered with fat. Just keep working at it. Things are changing but just really slowly. Patience is the name of this game :)
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat or "target" certain areas.

Just keep working out & eating at your calorie goal.

Read this article: http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TSInsideOut.html

It will answer some of your fat loss questions & common myths.
  • slimmerang
    slimmerang Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and feel the same way. Even the scale moves slow for me. I can see changes but my midsection isn't one of them. Good luck to you!!
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options

One of the better articles written on the subject.. Thanks for the link!!
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    At your age and gender, your core and thighs will likely be the "last to go" when it comes to excess fat. Squats and core work WILL tone the muscle underneath, but if you can't see that muscle (because of body fat), then you won't "see" very much tone initially.

It's a long process, and you have to be committed to it. We all have our areas...for me, it's the area right around my navel and lower back. Progress is slow, but keep at it and it will come!
  • angeladrage
    Options
    I work out every day & was losing weight slowly but I don't look like anything has changed. People say I look like I've lost weight which is good. But I still have a belly to work on & wish my hips & thighs were smaller. But saying that I feel so much better in myself doing the workouts & it is so much fun
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    last area to lose from. sorry.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

One of the better articles written on the subject.. Thanks for the link!!

^^^This, and sit-ups are a pretty poor exercise. They're don't really even do much to strengthen the core. Your hipflexors and momentum do a lot of the work. You can do 10,000 ab reps a day, but if you're body has fat in other areas it wants to burn first, it will. "Ab" work is usually pretty inefficient at calorie burning as well.

Moderate caloric deficit + work (cardio and compound lifting) + patience = results. You can get there with 1 and 3, but would probably be happier with the results if you incorporate all three.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I work out every day & was losing weight slowly but I don't look like anything has changed. People say I look like I've lost weight which is good. But I still have a belly to work on & wish my hips & thighs were smaller. But saying that I feel so much better in myself doing the workouts & it is so much fun

Reply to quote: (I can't seem to get this "reply to quote but not end up in the box" to work). I'm 45 too and have been struggling with this for months. Walking (excessively) has helped take some off my legs and hips though. Trudging on!
  • pyramid918
    pyramid918 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Drop your carbs and up your fat intake. They call it a "wheat belly" for a reason.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Great article! Thanks! I'm 39 and the midsection is just now getting slightly smaller after almost 6 months of heavy lifting. The scale has started to move, but that's because I've gotten my caloric intake where it needs to be and more accurate. Like someone else said, patience really is key.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi, i am 30 yrs old, i work at everyday, and i try to add different things in my routine, but i still hve mid section that wont go way, i let my clothes do the talking and it motivates me to do better to try new things. Does your clothes fit differently, dont worry about the scale, its just a number.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 and have the same issues, loving my legs and upper body...but my midsection just refuses to give up the fat. Very frustrating, just gotta keep on keeping on.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have been doing cardio and HIIT for 8 months. Lost a good deal of body fat, but also didn't make much difference in my midsection. I started StrongLifts 5X5 two months ago and I can see a difference in my midsection already. It is a slow process, but this is what's working for me.
  • caffeinified
    caffeinified Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Excellent article. Thanks!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    iam only 26 and having the same problem but only with my belly uhhh even when i was 16 i had still the same problem no matter the age we are women thighs ,arms , and , belly , back sometimes legs are some of the places that have stubborn fat there so we have to give it time .. i check my body every 3 months and see great results .. its bad to keep dwelling on what your body looks like now move forward and in due time if your dieting right sleeping well and excercise you will be satisfied :indifferent: :bigsmile:
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and change. My abs aren't perfect but if you look at my photos they are OK. If you are pre-menopause or menopause then you will have a layer of fat no matter what you do, pretty much. The question is how big is the layer of fat. You will also note I have "saddle bags" for the first time in my life. You can see the sb's in photo 1 and 4 best. I run almost everyday. I watch what I eat most days. Not all. I like freaking hot wings too much to watch everyday. I do 20 inverted sit ups, 140 balboas (aka bicycle crunches), 35 leg lifts (on my back, I life my legs up 6 in, then put legs out, then pull legs in, then lower), 140 cherry pickers (these will kick your *kitten*), 3 sets of 60 second 6 inch killers. I hit abs at least 4 days a week. I wouldn't recommend starting with these numbers because you have to keep your form or they don't work nearly as well. For instance, cherry pickers the hand has to hit the floor and the knees have to go the opposite way of the hands or you aren't working your side abs.

The abs can be toned, maybe not like when you were 18 but there's hope. Good luck to you!

And a little article from WedMD on menopause and how to combat: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/5-surprising-reasons-you-are-gaining-weight?page=3
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    As mentioned you can't "exercise" fat away by targeting a part of the body with specific exercises. Genetics will determine where you lose fat last.
    If it really bothers you, then go blame your parents. :wink:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 too and have been struggling with this for months. Walking (excessively) has helped take some off my legs and hips though. Trudging on!

Walk on!! (In my head this always sounds like "Rock On" and a lighter is in the air - :bigsmile: )

"You may have heard that walking burns more fat than running because while exercising at a lower intensity, fat is being used as fuel. This is actually true. As you increase your exercise intensity from walking into a run, more carbohydrates from your body are used to fuel the exercise. But it doesn't matter if fat or carbs are being used as fuel. What matters most is how many total calories you burn for the time you have exercised. If you have 30 minutes to exercise you will burn 187 calories walking 4 mph versus burning 365 calories running at 6mph. Walking may burn more fat for fuel, but running burns more total calories which will contribute to greater weight loss."

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/walking-vs-running-which-one-is-best.html