Best, most reliable HRM

Options

Replies

• crashj
    crashj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HR7 chest strap that has been very reliable and easy to use. I got mine from Wal-Mart online for about $70.

I use it on the elliptical primarily, but sometimes use it if I go for a power walk at work. The software is great on iOS and you can sync it up to the cloud, if you switch between your iPhone and iPad on your workouts. The software is free but has some add-on options to help with training, which I haven't tested yet.

It was hard to get used to wearing a chest strap at first but then I realized I had it on way too tight, you also have to put water on it before you use it so it can read your heart rate through the strap.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have found my polar FT7 to be reliable and consistent.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've only had experience with the Garmin HRMs. Similar experience to the OPs, Sometimes they were fine, other times I could have up to 50% error rate. What I found is that some of the dropouts/spikes can be a result of static on your shirt, especially non-cotton technical/running shirts. I found that even running the shirt through a dryer for a few minutes with no heat but with a fabric softener would help. Also, getting some conductive HRM gel helped as well. Either one would help cut down the error percentage during any run, but doing both would typically get me down to under 5% error.

Just a thought. Good luck.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I did wet the contacts each time and it would start to read and continue for 10 or so minutes, but then just drop off. Can you really soak it in the sink without it getting ruined? I'd have to put the entire thing in the sink to get the contact to soak...that doesn't seem good. Anyhow, I think I'll try the Polar (one of the older models). I don't need a super fancy high tech version, so I'm fine with the 50-100 dollar one. Thanks again :)

soaking it won't hurt it a bit. You can actually put the strap in the washing machine.
  • Just_Sha
    Just_Sha Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did wet the contacts each time and it would start to read and continue for 10 or so minutes, but then just drop off. Can you really soak it in the sink without it getting ruined? I'd have to put the entire thing in the sink to get the contact to soak...that doesn't seem good. Anyhow, I think I'll try the Polar (one of the older models). I don't need a super fancy high tech version, so I'm fine with the 50-100 dollar one. Thanks again :)

soaking it won't hurt it a bit. You can actually put the strap in the washing machine.

Don't forget to remove the sensor before putting the strap in the wash
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It explicitly says not to put mine in the washing machine. That said, I've accidentally done it with no adverse results.
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread... I've recently ordered a Polar FT4, which should be delivered soon. I know that HRMs are most accurate for steady-state cardio, which is fine by me (I jog a lot), and pretty useless for pure resistance/weight stuff. I'm guessing that for mixed circuit training (e.g. Jillian Michaels DVDs) I should view them as "better than the MFP estimates but not entirely correct."

I also know that they log gross calories (i.e. including the calories that would be burnt even if I were just watching TV) -- but, on the other hand, there's a mild afterburn effect from a good workout. Does anyone have a feel for whether these are close enough just to ignore the net/gross difference?
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Some HR straps don't have a removable sensor, so you would be putting the entire sensor and battery in the washing machine too. I don't think it's recommended that you wash those type of straps.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    BTW: I use Garmin HRMs with GPS and love them. Currently using the 910xt, very pricey but worth it.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Ive had my Polar FT4 for 2 years. I have yet to replace the battery on either the watch or chest strap. Even better, is the fact that the treadmills, ellipticals and stair climbers are all compatible with them. It tells the machines what my HPM is. Makes it eaiser when I want to do cardio with a certain heart rate.
  • AreUjoking2
    AreUjoking2 Posts: 142
    Options
    I recently purchased a Timex Ironman, and I love it. I have never own a Polar, so I can't compare to that. But I previously had a different one (cheap one) and it was crap too. So compared to that, I hit the jackpot!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've only had experience with the Garmin HRMs. Similar experience to the OPs, Sometimes they were fine, other times I could have up to 50% error rate. What I found is that some of the dropouts/spikes can be a result of static on your shirt, especially non-cotton technical/running shirts. I found that even running the shirt through a dryer for a few minutes with no heat but with a fabric softener would help. Also, getting some conductive HRM gel helped as well. Either one would help cut down the error percentage during any run, but doing both would typically get me down to under 5% error.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Spray can of Static Guard works great too. Have to use for most bike rides with strong wind flapping poly shirt, spray inside before zip up.
    Also during winter gym use on treadmills, so dry, and fan blowing.
  • Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    To read later
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread... I've recently ordered a Polar FT4, which should be delivered soon. I know that HRMs are most accurate for steady-state cardio, which is fine by me (I jog a lot), and pretty useless for pure resistance/weight stuff. I'm guessing that for mixed circuit training (e.g. Jillian Michaels DVDs) I should view them as "better than the MFP estimates but not entirely correct."

I also know that they log gross calories (i.e. including the calories that would be burnt even if I were just watching TV) -- but, on the other hand, there's a mild afterburn effect from a good workout. Does anyone have a feel for whether these are close enough just to ignore the net/gross difference?

There are studies looking at the 24-36 hr burn post lifting or HIIT workout, and I'm sure they say how much they burned during the workout.

But I don't recall them ever saying "the HRM mistakenly said ...." to compare.

As for the net burn - since in a diet, you don't actually want to remove the resting calories, you want to remove the calories already account for that you were expected to burn.

Which is - your MFP maintenance under My Home - Goals tab.
    Divide that by 24, and that's what you are expected to burn every hour that your diet is based on.

So now HRM calories minus that amount (83-110) is what you burned above and beyond what you were planning on.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it's always been good to me! I got it almost 2 yrs ago for $60 online. I just bought a Garmin Forerunner 110. It's a GPS watch with a HRM (strap). I only used it once so far but it worked great, no problems with that either. That one is about $150 (since it also has GPS).
  • SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love my Garmin 310XT and all it's configuration options. The GF had a Polar FT60 but I thought the display was a bit on the small side. She also had issues getting her pulse with the Polar and switched to my Garmin. Know what we found out? It's not the watch it's her, or something about how she sweats or doesn't. After doing some research I landed on Buh Bump (http://www.amazon.com/Buh-Bump-2-5-Ounce-Heart-Monitor-Electrode/dp/B000HZD2NU) to increase electrode sensitivity and it picked up her pulse right off the bat.
  • aemac70
    aemac70 Posts: 3
    Options
    Polar seems the most popular - I have an FT7 which is used 5 days out of 7 and I've had no issues with it since purchase (March 2013)..I like the daily and weekly summaries and the training zone feature.

This is my 2nd Polar - my first was really basic! - and I'll probably buy another.
  • tashalloyd330
    tashalloyd330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use Polar and found it priced $20 cheaper on Amazon than in stores. I like it a lot, but my last was a Schosche (which majorly sucked and never worked), so it didn't take much for the Polar to make me happy.
  • har465
    har465 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a Suunto M2 - always been reliable for me!
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As for the net burn - since in a diet, you don't actually want to remove the resting calories, you want to remove the calories already account for that you were expected to burn.

Which is - your MFP maintenance under My Home - Goals tab.
    Divide that by 24, and that's what you are expected to burn every hour that your diet is based on.

So now HRM calories minus that amount (83-110) is what you burned above and beyond what you were planning on.

That makes a lot of sense... got it! Will adjust my HRM figures accordingly. Thanks!