Regarding HRM, please help.

Options
I have a Polar 4. I reset my weght every 5 pounds I lose. My questions is do I reset my heart rate too? Right now I have my zone set on 65% minimum and 85% maximun.

The smaller you get, the higher your heart rate increase but the lower calorie you burn is this correct?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    not necessarily. The better shape you get in, the lower your resting heart rate usually goes, but your max heart rate usually stays relatively constant. In fact, weight isn't even a factor either in the simple Max HR formula (220-age) or the more complex Karvonen formula.

But Heart rate isn't as much a factor of weight (especially in small increments like 5 lbs) as it is a function of how well your body processes oxygen and how efficient your cardiovascular system is. And the Cardiovascular system improves with exercise (usually).
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ummm, never even considred changing my HRM settings. I've had mine since July and have lost about 15lbs since then, so maybe I so\hould try and figure out how to change my weight for a more accurate reading. Thanks for the thought, that's why I love this site!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Ummm, never even considred changing my HRM settings. I've had mine since July and have lost about 15lbs since then, so maybe I so\hould try and figure out how to change my weight for a more accurate reading. Thanks for the thought, that's why I love this site!

again guys, weight doesn't factor into HR settings.
  • ktyang04
    Options
    not necessarily. The better shape you get in, the lower your resting heart rate usually goes, but your max heart rate usually stays relatively constant. In fact, weight isn't even a factor either in the simple Max HR formula (220-age) or the more complex Karvonen formula.

But Heart rate isn't as much a factor of weight (especially in small increments like 5 lbs) as it is a function of how well your body processes oxygen and how efficient your cardiovascular system is. And the Cardiovascular system improves with exercise (usually).

So I am okay keeping my heart rate setting as indicated? Why do I burn more calories on one day then the other doing the same exercise?

Other question, when you get one year older you should change the setting right?
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

again guys, weight doesn't factor into HR settings.

It wouldn't factor into your HR settings but losing weight and adding a year in age WOULD effect your calories burned. So YES, when you drop pounds or add a year in age you should change those on your HRM.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

So I am okay keeping my heart rate setting as indicated? Why do I burn more calories on one day then the other doing the same exercise?

Other question, when you get one year older you should change the setting right?

to your first question, I don't know, if it's asking for your resting Heart rate, then you should get your resting heart rate (best to do that right when you wake up in the morning when you are most relaxed) and if it's different then change it, but you shouldn't change your max HR. I don't know what F4's ask for with age, if they ask for a birth date then you dont' need to change it, if they just ask for an age, then you probably do.

Why would you burn more calories? Lots of variables, maybe you worked out slightly harder, maybe you didn't sleep as well, maybe you are a little dehydrated, maybe the machine was at a slightly different setting...etc. could be any of a bunch of little changes that you wouldn't notice but your body will.
  • ktyang04
    Options

to your first question, I don't know, if it's asking for your resting Heart rate, then you should get your resting heart rate (best to do that right when you wake up in the morning when you are most relaxed) and if it's different then change it, but you shouldn't change your max HR. I don't know what F4's ask for with age, if they ask for a birth date then you dont' need to change it, if they just ask for an age, then you probably do.

Why would you burn more calories? Lots of variables, maybe you worked out slightly harder, maybe you didn't sleep as well, maybe you are a little dehydrated, maybe the machine was at a slightly different setting...etc. could be any of a bunch of little changes that you wouldn't notice but your body will.

Thank you... this really helps.