Bowel problems???!!!???

JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Yes this topic is kind of odd but I have no PC sensor in my brain so I will talk about anything without worrying really. So on to the topic at hand. I have noticed that my bowel movements are sparse and not really regular.

Last night I decided to test my hypotosis by eating a TON of peanuts before bed. I ended up eating about 3 cups(shell on, roasted, unsalted) and when I woke up I instantly had to go and then I had my normal bowel movement 30-45 minutes later.

Lately though I have been eating my given calories and I sometimes don't go all day(biggest gap was 3 days) and if I do go I can state that it's not a very big one or even normal sized. I have plenty of carbs(oats) in the morning and at night before bed I have a piece of wheat bread(part of a low cal PB&J.) Outside of that I don't eat a ton of carbs but I still end up at 170-200grams per day and 180-210 grams of protein(mostly in egg white form and also in 3-4 chicken breasts a day.)

Please give me some insight.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    How much fiber to you get and how much water do you drink?
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Increase your fiber and water intake....if you are still having trouble talk to your doc
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    The only way to regulate yourself naturally is with fiber. Some of the foods you need are bran, grean veggies and most fruits. Carbs, milk, meat....all of that will not help and usually make it worse. Good luck!
  • rml_16
    FYI, three days between "movements" is not considered a problem, medically. You may want to talk to your doctor, though, if you really think there's a problem and fiber and water don't fix it.
  • rml_16 took the words right out of my mouth! If you are getting enough fiber from GOOD carbs (fruit, veggies, and whole grains) and drinking planty of water, I would think your system would get back to "normal", which is different for everyone. I would also not eat carbs right before bed - your body uses carbs for energy, and you are not expending energy when you sleep, so those carbs convert to sugar, which eventually stores as fat. If you have to eat right before bed (not recommended), eat a small amout of protein, which your body DOES use at night to repair muscles.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Track your fiber along with your cals, and maybe up your intake a bit.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    also, remember, fruits and vegetables are mostly water . I think about 80 - 90 percent water, which is a good thing, really.........

Keep doing what you are doing, I kinda have your problem, and bought this stuff called Colon, made by Phillips.........I think its the Milk of Magnesia people, that make it, but its something that helps your colon as well, as it makes you regular as well.......If you need the name , or more info, let me know, Ill go and send you the name etc, but again, its just an aide in regulating your digestion...........Good Luck, Lloyd
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    I take in 8-12 glasses of water a day and I guess I'll start taking in more apples. Any other fiberious foods I could eat that are low in cals?
  • rml_16
    I take in 8-12 glasses of water a day and I guess I'll start taking in more apples. Any other fiberious foods I could eat that are low in cals?

My menu is public and I get usually 25-50 grams of fiber a day, so feel free to look at what I eat.

I was looking at yours and I saw you eat strawberries. While they're very good for you, they're not a great source of fiber. Try raspberries or blueberries instead (or in addition to). That's a good start.

And don't be afraid of carbs. They are not your enemy. You want to eat complex carbs (whole grains, fruits and veggies, for example). They give you energy and feed your brain cells. It's the refined (simple) carbs that you want to limit (white bread, refined sugar, etc.).
  • you might have what is called a 'lazy Colon' in that case a bowel movement every 3 days is norm. I have a lazy colon........the docs recommended every night eat dried figs, dried dates and kiwi fruits. it helps! Also i had a peak in your diary last couple of days you have no roughage in your diet. You really need to eat a lot more greens.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Increase your fibre and water intake. Choose fibrous fruits and veggies- you'll know it's fibrous if you have to chew it a lot before swallowing. Fruits which include seeds count too- like strawberries.

Don't worry if you do go a few days occaisionally between movements though, that's not a big deal really.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Prunes!!! :)
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Like everyone else said...fiber and water!!! Alot of men do high protein/lower carb diets which are great for weight loss but don't have NEARLY enough fiber. Anything dark green or leafy will give you a boost, not to mention the obvious natural laxatives like prunes, etc. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.