Cheat weekends

Options

Replies

• telepneff
    telepneff Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is to enjoy a cheat meal, not a cheat day or a cheat weekend.
    It keeps expanding. I never heard of cheat weekends until just now. Next up: Cheat Weeks and Cheat Months. :drinker:

I know! I really didn't mean cheat, I used the wrong word!
  • JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is make a list on my phone anytime I crave something that is "bad" during the week. Then on my "cheat" day, which is Sunday, I eat the list I made but within very small and reasonable portions.

For instance, If I am really craving my Grandma's Penne & Vodka sauce, I make it and only have one small bowl to put away my craving. If I am craving a Sicilian rice ball with fresh self-grated Locatelli cheese and fresh Mozzarella, I will have half a rice ball and that's it. I can do this without going crazy in calories but it takes a ton of discipline.

When I played ball in college our Nutritionist encouraged a, "cheat day" as long as the portions are controlled.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have worked out what my average daily calorie intake has been over a week and it comes out roughly what it should be (I was over this week just gone because of easter but it was still lower than maintenance).

If you are still lower than maintenance then you should lose fat. Not as quickly as if you 20% deficit every day, but a deficit = loss.

I recently read an articleabout a study that showed of the people in the study, those that had the most long term success at weight loss "dieted" (i.e. carefully restricted calories) during the week but were much more lax on the weekends.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    "hey honey do you mind if i make out with someone else while i go on a business trip, im good MOST of the time but I just need to let loose for once"

what

Good thing my food can't think or talk. My carrots don't get upset when I eat chili cheese fries.
  • JoshTheGiant
    Options
    "hey honey do you mind if i make out with someone else while i go on a business trip, im good MOST of the time but I just need to let loose for once"

what

Good thing my food can't think or talk. My carrots don't get upset when I eat chili cheese fries.

+1 For leading post of the day
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

what

You know, the problem could easily be solved if you let your carrot dip into the chili cheese fries once in a while. A little chili cheese carrot fries is good for the soul.

OP, all that matters is that you maintain an overall deficit. You can't be expected to be perfect all the time.
  • suremeansyes
    Options

what

You know, the problem could easily be solved if you let your carrot dip into the chili cheese fries once in a while. A little chili cheese carrot fries is good for the soul.

OP, all that matters is that you maintain an overall deficit. You can't be expected to be perfect all the time.

My carrots can get their own chili cheese fries! These are MINE! I'm a selfish eater.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am now craving chili cheese fries.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Options

what

My carrots can get their own chili cheese fries! These are MINE! I'm a selfish eater.

No, you really should try it. Boil, then shred then mix right in. You'd never know the carrots were there.
  • suremeansyes
    Options

No, you really should try it. Boil, then shred then mix right in. You'd never know the carrots were there.

Wait, this went from innuendo into actual carrots in my chili cheese fries. :sad:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Options

Wait, this went from innuendo into actual carrots in my chili cheese fries. :sad:

Innuendo?

I don't get it.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is make a list on my phone anytime I crave something that is "bad" during the week. Then on my "cheat" day, which is Sunday, I eat the list I made but within very small and reasonable portions.

For instance, If I am really craving my Grandma's Penne & Vodka sauce, I make it and only have one small bowl to put away my craving. If I am craving a Sicilian rice ball with fresh self-grated Locatelli cheese and fresh Mozzarella, I will have half a rice ball and that's it. I can do this without going crazy in calories but it takes a ton of discipline.

When I played ball in college our Nutritionist encouraged a, "cheat day" as long as the portions are controlled.

What is something "bad"??
  • JoshTheGiant
    Options
    Asking someone to share their chili cheese fries is like asking someone to share their spouse.

(using same logic as earlier poster)
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Asking someone to share their chili cheese fries is like asking someone to share their spouse.

(using same logic as earlier poster)

Almost. lol

My spouse is the carrots, and the chili cheese fries is...not.

Anyway.

Cheat days. Amirite?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I think cheat was the wrong word. I don't mean cheat as in eat crap. I will eat relatively well every day but I will still have chocolate if I fancy it on a weekday (IIFYM style).

What I meant was is it ok to eat more on weekends and less on weekdays? Because that's what I seem to be doing naturally.

Yes, you can do that as long as your average weekly intake is within your goal.

I mean... if you should eat, say, 2000 a day, you can eat 1800 a day for 5 days, and then have 2000 plus the cals you didn't eat in the week, in the weekends.

It is that that you meant?

Yes, that's what I meant.

I'm supposed to have 1700 a day but would rather have 1500 Mon-Thurs then 1950 Fri-Sun.

Also, if this would still work for weight loss, would this have an effect on my metabolism?

Yeah, as long as you are in a net deficit position over the course of time, it doesn't matter...weight control is all about what is going on over the course of time, not day to day minutia.

That said, this kind of strategy can be hell on your fitness goals...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day about once per month. I still eat healthy on those days, but I just sleep with other men and don't mention it to my SO. :laugh: Kidding.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Instead of going on a binge on the weekends, plan to eat at maintenance for a day. If your goal is fat loss, and you're eating at a deficit during the week, it is certainly possible to blow that deficit in a weekend.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well that's going to be different for each person. The term "dieting" is old fashioned and generally not used by most in the fitness industry. "Eating clean" is just a term used when speaking about making changes in your diet towards a healthier lifestyle.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is to enjoy a cheat meal, not a cheat day or a cheat weekend.
    It keeps expanding. I never heard of cheat weekends until just now. Next up: Cheat Weeks and Cheat Months. :drinker:

HA!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am now craving chili cheese fries.

+1