Questions for runners

Options
mom2kpr
mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
I've just started running. I'm starting by alternating walking/running. For those of you that run regularly, I have a couple questions.
How many days a week do you run? Is it okay to run 5-6 days a week? How long do you run - time and distance? Do you plan to run for say 30 min no matter the distance or do plan to run 3 miles no matter the time?
Right know, since I still do more walking then running, I go 45 - 60 min. I've always hated running & thought I couldn't do it. Now that I am alternating walking/running & slowly increasing my run time, I find I can do it & I like it. Now I want to push myself to get better & eventually eliminate the walk time.

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I run three days a week... I wouldn't do more than 3 or 4. You will burn yourself out and you need to have time to recover. On the other three days, do some strength training or some sort of cross training (bike, swim, anything but run).

Right now, two days a week I am running on my lunch break so I only have 35 mins to run. I am running as much as I can in 35 mins - trying to go a little faster each time. For my long run on the weekends, I focus on putting in the miles no matter how long it takes me. In a couple weeks, I want to use one of my weekday runs to focus on doing some hills.

I used to HATE running... then I realized it wasn't that I hated it, it was that it was so HARD to do when I started. It is still hard, but now I love it!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    For someone just starting out, I would probably stick with 3 to 4 days a week. Pushing too much/fast too soon can lead to injuries. Some people could do 5/6 days a week initially - I couldn't have. Initially, I would go for time, but that really is more of a preference. For me, it helped to have a program working toward a goal (I used couch to 5K). Then when I completed that, I did a bridge to 10K. Then I trained for a half marathon. I'm training for another half right now (it's in 2 weeks) but after that, I'll go to what I call maintenance running. I'll shoot for 3 days a week, 3 to 5 miles each time. I also do strength training twice a week and will bike once or twice a week too.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I try to run at least 3 sometimes 4 days a week. How long/far depends on what day. Week days I run in the morning before my daughter gets up so I'll run 2 to 3 miles depending on what time I get outthe door. If we run at night (me and her) or on the weekend it's usually at least 3 miles. I'm a 12 min miler so it takes me a while ;-) unlike the 8 min or less miler she is LOL
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am currently in week 3 of a C25K program. I am running every other day to allow for my legs to rest and rebuild. Found out the hard way that I couldn't do my program if I ran everyday.

On the days that I don't run I do a workout DVD like Tae Bo, Tim 10 Min traininer, Zumba, or Your Shape on XBox 360. I will also work in the garden or clean around the house to get some extra movement in.
  • Clareel
    Clareel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've just started running. I'm starting by alternating walking/running. For those of you that run regularly, I have a couple questions.
    How many days a week do you run? Is it okay to run 5-6 days a week? How long do you run - time and distance? Do you plan to run for say 30 min no matter the distance or do plan to run 3 miles no matter the time?
    Right know, since I still do more walking then running, I go 45 - 60 min. I've always hated running & thought I couldn't do it. Now that I am alternating walking/running & slowly increasing my run time, I find I can do it & I like it. Now I want to push myself to get better & eventually eliminate the walk time.

I run 3-4 days per week, very rarely run 2 days on the go - I always have a rest day in between.
    I run either 5K in around 32mins, 7.5k in around 50mins or 10k in around 1h10mins - always run based on distance and just see what time I come in.

I started like you walk/run and eliminated the walk time. You will get there! Good luck :)
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I run 3 or 4 days a week. I aim for every-other day, but sometimes other things get in the way. I try to shoot for no less than 2 miles each time. I feel good about 3. I've been expanding my distance, so on the weekend I'll do a longer run (I'm up to six miles now). Generally, I think if you shoot for no less than 30 minutes, and gradually add more running than walking, you'll be in pretty decent shape. I started with the Couch to 5k program, which was a great place to begin. I'm very very slow, so I usually try to think about distance more than time, but that's really a personal preference, I think. Good luck! It's great fun when you realize you can actually do it!! :D

Edit: Also, remember that you never have to completely phase out walking if you don't want to! I've started and stopped running a couple times now. This time, I let myself talk walk breaks if I want to and it has been MUCH easier to motivate myself to get out there. I've been doing 10 min run/ 1 min walking repeated for the length of my run. It's just enough walking to break it up a bit without getting out of the groove of the run. It works really well for me!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How many days a week do you run?
    6-7

Is it okay to run 5-6 days a week?
    If you know what you're doing, yes

How long do you run - time and distance?
    Distance for daily runs, time for long runs because I run with a group

Do you plan to run for say 30 min no matter the distance or do plan to run 3 miles no matter the time?
    I don't really do "no matter what" runs because anything can happen. Once you are in your rhythm, you kinda know how long it will take you. I run a minimum of 5mi every day during my lunch, and know it will be right around 45min.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of 5Ks under my belt (8 I think?) and I'm training for a 10K at the moment. I run 3 days per week. One easy run, one run with intervals or at race pace, and one long run. Mileage increases a little bit each week during my training. I also do some cross-training. Here's what this week looks like (week 2 of 6 in my 10K training)

Monday: cardio dance class
    Tuesday: 2 mile easy run, then strength training
    Wednesday: spinning class
    Thursday: 3 mile run at 10K pace
    Friday: strength training
    Saturday: ballet class or rest
    Sunday: 4 mile "long run"

I will skip the xtraining on mon or wed if I feel like my body needs the extra rest. I wouldn't run more than 3-4 days per week for the purpose of avoiding injury. When I first started couch to 5K two years ago, I was excited and ran every day and got a stress fracture in my food. I was sidelined for a month. :( Slow and steady!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

This group will provide you lots of support and help answer your questions.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :smile: !