Am I eating too little calories?

Options
DevSanchez
DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
MFP recommended that in order for me to lose 1.5-2lbs weekly I need to intake 1200 calories daily. I am 5'3 240 lbs. my goal is 140 in 12mos. I work out 3-5 times weekly. I have a desk job. It is not difficult for me to eat this amount and find it satisfying as I am consuming things like fish chicken feta cheese kale, lots of fruits and veggies.....but I havent seen the loss I am expecting just yet and in fact a gain this week......just wondering if this is too little but I am afraid since this is my recommended amount that I should not eat more. I am worried I may gain from upping my calories.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    First thing weightloss is not linear. Before you increase you calories double check you are logging accurately. Make sure you weigh all your solid foods and measure any liquids. Check that the entries that you take off the database are accurate. Don't use anything with Generic in front of it and don't use any one else's meals (create your own using recipe builder). If that is all correct then check the figures you are working from such as exercise calories etc. If you opened your diary people could give more specific advice
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    According to a TDEE calculator, your basal metabolic rate is 1815 which is really the calories you need for your body to function. Eating 1200 calories does seem too small for your height, weight, etc. Your TDEE with a desk job is over 2100 calories without exercise included. Even with a deficit of that number, it will still be in the 1850-1950 range.

Here is a TDEE calculator to use if you want to check it out: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/