Gluten Free Food Finds?

Options
I have IBS and have had it for many years. It has gotten better over the years however I have noticed this year due to stress and I think just getting older in nature. I find that now everytime I eat a meal, no matter what it is my stomach hurts and you can hear it gurgle and move. Its very loud!! So I went to a naturopathic clinic and we talked about Gluten free diet. This has been suggested by another doctor but being young I felt like I could manage this on my own. Well now not so much. I have looked on the net and found some things but its just so confusing.

I guess my question is. 1. Is there another words that mean Gluten? 2. What foods have Gluten in them?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Gluten is a protein composite that appears in foods processed from wheat and related species, including barley and rye. It gives elasticity to dough, helping it to rise and to keep its shape, and often giving the final product a chewy texture.

Google "celiac diet" (which is gluten free) and you can also google "gluten free diet". There are many products on the market today for gluten intolerant people. Generally it means avoiding packaged/pre-made foods unless it is clearly labelled "gluten free". There are also packaged gluten free foods like Van's Gluten Free Waffles (yummy).

I know several people who thought they had IBS< but it was a gluten intolerance. Once they changed their eating habits, it was gone. Best of luck!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Here is a good summary:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/slideshow-gluten-free-diet?ecd=ppc_google_gluten-freediet_DietandNutrition_Diet-GlutenFreeDiet_search&gclid=CJLa65SMy6QCFUxb2godCw36DA

I too have IBS and mine is hormone related, meaning that when it is my TOM, YEEOUCH! My trigger foods the rest of the month though is lactose (milk/dairy).

I do not know terribly much about gluten, other than it is in lots of processed foods (it has to do with grains - like oats and wheat).

Hope there's some others that can give you better info than me!
    Good luck though, whatever you find :0)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Gluten is the proteins found in wheat, rye, and barley.
    Here is the basic diet info:
    1. No wheat, rye, or barley
    2. Oats have been found to be cross-contaminated so they are not recommended. You can find oats labeled as gluten free, those are considered safe.
    3. Other names for wheat or wheat containing grains are: spelt, kamut, einkorn, emmer, triticale, durum, farina, enriched flour, wheat starch, self-rising flour, graham flour, bulgar, semolina, cake flour, pastry flour, or matzo.
    4. Remember wheat free does not mean gluten free. It may still contain rye or barley.
    5. Malt and malt flavorings are made from barley, they are not gluten free.

Grains and flours that are safe:
    Rice, corn, quinoa, amaranth, arrowroot, buckwheat, Montina, flax, Job's tears, millet, potato, sago, soy, sorghum, tapioca, teff, cornstarch, manioc. Also any flour made from nuts, beans, tubers or legumes.

So what in the world can you eat, right? Try not to be overwhelmed. It isn't as bad as you think. There are many gluten free products in grocery stores now. Look for them or ask about them when you visit the grocery store. Don't be afraid to ask, you aren't alone!

Here are foods to choose when starting out:
    Stick to plain, simple foods mostly found in the outer aisle of the grocery store including:
    1. All plain meats, poultry, fish, or eggs
    2. Legumes and nuts in all forms
    3. Corn and rice in all forms
    4. Dairy products including milk, butter, margarine, real cheese, plain yogurt
    5. All plain fruits or vegetables (fresh, frozen, and canned)
    6. All vinegar except malt vinegar
    7. Any food that says it is gluten-free

Now the above foods are assuming you aren't lactose intolerant. If you question something read the ingredients and make sure the grains mentioned above are not in them. And remember since you are counting calories to look for low-fat or fat-free foods (such as milk, cheese, yogurt) and lean cuts of meat.

I hope this helps! :)
  • Koshie
    Koshie Posts: 61
    Options
    Thanks Bayoubabie! That helps alot, I think what I have to start doing is really sitting down and look at my grocery lists and become more aware of what has Gluten in it and what does. Thank you for your list
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bayoubabie! That helps alot, I think what I have to start doing is really sitting down and look at my grocery lists and become more aware of what has Gluten in it and what does. Thank you for your list

You're very welcome! If you have some spare time, take a trip to your grocery store. Not to buy groceries, but to explore. It'll give you some ideas and help you get prepared for a REAL shopping day! ;)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You already got great info, but I am in the same boat. I was diagnosed w/ IBS about 9 years ago and have struggled on/ off w/ it since then. I've been eating *clean* for a good 5 years now but just in the last few months have made the realization that wheat seems to be a *trigger* for me. I was tested for Celiac and it was negative but the Dr. agreed that I seem to have a wheat/ gluten sensativity.

Good luck!
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am Mom to a celiac child and all of the food in our house is gluten free. If you have any questions or just need some support, feel free to add me!