Using a FitBit Flex and logging treadmill time

Options
Would I still log treadmill exercise if done while wearing the Flex partnered to my MFP account? I know that the fitbit adjust calories and I don't want to double dip on my allowable calories..

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I would not. The step activity is already transferred over. I'd just log non-step based activity. Like biking, swimming. (I have a One.)
  • dwbotti
    dwbotti Posts: 29
    Options
    You can, but as suggested I would not. I have a Flex as well, and when I tried doing both it got chaotic. I also, though, chose to turn on the FitBit negative calorie option in my settings here, so if it didn't think I was moving enough it took calories away from the lack of exercise which also likely was a challenge. :)
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You can do it either way. If fitbit calories on MFP are listed as 200 cal burned & you add in your treadmill time as 200, it will change the fitbit adjustment to 0. Doing this lists your workout on your page - if that matters to you. I always add my workouts to MFP so it shows on my front page - it make me feel good.
  • LeahNMe
    LeahNMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can, but as suggested I would not. I have a Flex as well, and when I tried doing both it got chaotic. I also, though, chose to turn on the FitBit negative calorie option in my settings here, so if it didn't think I was moving enough it took calories away from the lack of exercise which also likely was a challenge. :)
    This is how I handle it..
    I use my treadmill to get me up to my 10K step goal and it feeds back to MFP so I can relax with my glass of wine at night. ;0) And yes, the negative calories does keep my motivated to get on that boring treadmill!
  • harry0460
    Options
    I bought the fitbit flex last night and synced it to MFP. I've already wked over 3,000 steps today and my diary still shows 0. Also it did not track my sleep last night. Any suggestions?
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can do it either way. If fitbit calories on MFP are listed as 200 cal burned & you add in your treadmill time as 200, it will change the fitbit adjustment to 0. Doing this lists your workout on your page - if that matters to you. I always add my workouts to MFP so it shows on my front page - it make me feel good.

mom2kpr is absolutely right. I tried this when I got my Fitbit Flex. I quickly noticed it doesn't make a difference, and that goes for weight lifting, elliptical, shoveling snow, ...you get my point. The Fitbit gives you a calorie ADJUSTMENT from what MFP is saying you burned based on actual activity. I'm an avid weight lifter 4x/week plus cardio and either walk or jog a couple miles on non-gym days. I decided if I'm going to wear this thing around my wrist ALL THE TIME I'm going to get the full benefit of it. Contrary to mom2kpr's attitude - I don't log ANY exercise now. I just let my Fitbit make the adjustment to MFP and I don't bother with logging what that activity was.

All that being said - I don't blindly follow my FitBit's calorie adjustment. Do some web research, some sites report 15-20% calorie count exaggerations from FitBit. For that reason I do eat back my exercise calories - just not all of them. I've been on a steady weight loss track since January - the first half with MFP's estimate of calories burned from logging exercise, the second half of that time has been with FitBit and logging none of my exercise (keeping in mind I leave ~ 20% of FitBit's calories on my plate at the end of the day).

I have hit my weight loss goal every week (2lbs/week at first, 1 lb/week after a couple months) using this method. Some weeks I wanted to lose 2 lbs I lost 1.6 and then the next week I'd lose 2.4 so on average I hit my goals almost dead on. Your results may vary.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You have to set your Fitbit to track your sleep specifically - i.e., you have to turn it on to tell you when you are going to sleep and turn it off when you wake up. Then it will tell you how long it took you to fall asleep, how many times you woke up, how restless you were, etc. Aside from that, if you don't have it set to auto-sync or what have you (mine won't), it may not log the items until you sync and refresh all programs...
  • 3dansell
    3dansell Posts: 5 Member
    Options

mom2kpr is absolutely right. I tried this when I got my Fitbit Flex. I quickly noticed it doesn't make a difference, and that goes for weight lifting, elliptical, shoveling snow, ...you get my point. The Fitbit gives you a calorie ADJUSTMENT from what MFP is saying you burned based on actual activity. I'm an avid weight lifter 4x/week plus cardio and either walk or jog a couple miles on non-gym days. I decided if I'm going to wear this thing around my wrist ALL THE TIME I'm going to get the full benefit of it. Contrary to mom2kpr's attitude - I don't log ANY exercise now. I just let my Fitbit make the adjustment to MFP and I don't bother with logging what that activity was.

All that being said - I don't blindly follow my FitBit's calorie adjustment. Do some web research, some sites report 15-20% calorie count exaggerations from FitBit. For that reason I do eat back my exercise calories - just not all of them. I've been on a steady weight loss track since January - the first half with MFP's estimate of calories burned from logging exercise, the second half of that time has been with FitBit and logging none of my exercise (keeping in mind I leave ~ 20% of FitBit's calories on my plate at the end of the day).

I have hit my weight loss goal every week (2lbs/week at first, 1 lb/week after a couple months) using this method. Some weeks I wanted to lose 2 lbs I lost 1.6 and then the next week I'd lose 2.4 so on average I hit my goals almost dead on. Your results may vary.

Sorry for reviving an older thread, but I'm not quite sure I understand.

I'm just starting out with a treadmill. I wear my fitbit while walking. I don't hold on, so it in theory should count my steps, right? Will this alone adjust my calorie burn on the fitbit app or will I have to log the exercise in myfitnesspal to have it show up on the fitbit app. They are synced together.

I do like to see my workouts logged as that is motivation for me, but if it will give false info, I won't do it.
  • helen195
    helen195 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would also be interested in the answer - just about to get one.

Will it also log dancing or just the step count?